Why you shouldn't buy anything from Edward "Scissorhands" Lee

dat240z

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Far to many have been ripped off or mislead by that dealership - I can't believe that the MTA haven't cancelled his dealer license.

I wouldn't believe anything that Edwards Lee's has to say - He has less than zero credibility in my book.

• Administrators

Far to many have been ripped off or mislead by that dealership - I can't believe that the MTA haven't cancelled his dealer license.

I wouldn't believe anything that Edwards Lee's has to say - He has less than zero credibility in my book.

Then I've done my job.

I guess all those photos were taken in Japan, can even spot a 2000GT in photo 11 + 14.

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

No Kobe Seiko wheels? Or were they an option?

I am pretty sure (but open to correction from Alan HS30-H) that they were fitted as standard on the 432 PS30 (but not the 432-R PS30-SB), as some of you may recall there was a Yahoo! Auction recently where a set of 5 wheels was sold. The price was upwards of $15k AUD for wheels alone.

The seat trim is also incorrect for this year S30z, it has the later 74+ style seat trim.

Pretty poorly crafted ad anyway, no mention of the rally clock working or other components. Asking top money.

I would be interested to know what it sold for in Japan, I'll bet nowhere near asking price.

I've just checked into my hotel in Tokyo, so I'm *almost* on your timezone.... ;-)

Isn't this just Edward Lee's doing an "I can get this one for you" type thing? The car is clearly with a classic dealer in Japan (I'll see if I can find out which one...) and isn't in Australia. It's nothing to do with Edward Lee's as far as I can see. It's registered on a Hachioji area plate (Tokyo dormitory suburbs), so that might give a clue to where the dealer is.

It's a 'late' PS30, and in Japan they call these six-digit chassis numbered cars '240Z' shelled 432s. They kind of have *less* 432-specfic 'shell content than the earlier five-digit 'shells. They have the 'B' type transmissions, usually R200 diffs instead of R192s, the big brake booster and all that kind of stuff. I think the general concensus is that these *late* 432s are less desirable and worth less than the earlier ones. This particular car has some strange un-432-like mods - for example the front valance/spoiler - and seems to have lost its standard-issue Kobe Seiko '432' magnesium wheels. 

The car doesn't appear to be on the list of known extant 432s kept by Club S30 member Watanabe san. I'm meeting up with them on Saturday night for the club AGM and dinner, so I might ask him about it then. You never know, it might be one of the known "Obake" (ghost) 432s that suddenly re-appear after having been MIA. Some of them (*some* of them...) are re-shells.... ;-)  

• Administrators

Isn't this just Edward Lee's doing an "I can get this one for you" type thing? The car is clearly with a classic dealer in Japan (I'll see if I can find out which one...) and isn't in Australia. It's nothing to do with Edward Lee's as far as I can see. It's registered on a Hachioji area plate (Tokyo dormitory suburbs), so that might give a clue to where the dealer is.

Seems like the ACCC might like to know? It looks like 'bait' advertising to me.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/misleading-claims-advertising/false-or-misleading-claims#creating-a-false-or-misleading-impression

• Moderators

Hi Alan

It certainly looks like he is doing that - Again.

If he is, then it constitutes a clear breach of not only the MTA act but also contravenes Dept of Fair trading advertising rules.

Hmmmm.....

• Moderators
Spot on Gav. If you advertise a particular vehicle you must have it available for sale and delivery at the time the ad goes live.

In the industry we have watch how we advertise new cars that are in short supply so as not run fowl of the ACCC. At times we have stop advertising a particular model in order to remain compliant.

Edited by PB260Z

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

so i take it Edward Lees is very dodgy lol

Plenty of interesting stories around the media and net.

He seems to be Mr. Teflon though.

Edited by PB260Z

The upholstery over the shock towers is abysmal, tail light trim off. WTF, I like to see good money fetched for a zed but hell that would build at least 3 ground up resto's, tell him he's dreamin!.    

• Moderators

And unfortunately the business will just keep rolling on, albeit in different legal entities - that is until the regulators get serious with this and a few others (Ian Creek for example) and prevent them from trading.