High ZDDP Oil Grades in Australia

240Z_au

Keep in mind that ZDDP is consumed during engine operation so the PPM is not crucial unless the oil is going to be used for a longer time. And of course ZDDP is only one additive among many, base oil quality is the most important factor too.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/too_much_zinc_in_your_oil short expert comment on the amount of zinc needed, too much performs no useful function and can actually be detrimental. Much more relevant to flat tappet engines too. Basically 1,200 PPM is sufficient for running in, 800 PPM after that.

Yeh, aftermarket adding ZDDP to oil is at best hit and miss, personally I have every confidence that Penrite can supply engine oils for every purpose. Spoke to a tech bloke there a few years ago, they were right on to racing needs and have since released a range of ZDDP enhanced oils for various purposes.

They are not the only ones of course, I just prefer to support a good Aussie company.

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I had a chat to Peter MC earlier in the week and he believes that L-series motors do best with a good mineral oil versus synthetics.  He recommended Castrol Edge 25w-50 which is the only mineral oil in the Castrol Edge range. This viscosity is in line with what the factory recommends for L-series motors too.

I can't comment on its ZDDP content because they do not disclose it and google searches have revealed nothing.

An old thread but worth a refresh by adding that Les Collins also recommends the Castrol Edge 25w-50.

A mineral oil with zinc that is better for L series engines.

Funny someone revived this thread, I was reading through the forum (didn't find this thread), but found this thread instead where a few people suggested the penrite HPR30 20W-60, as I was trying to work out what would be best for my bus.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/5765-l-series-preferred-oil-brand-and-grade/?hl=hpr30#entry65233 

• 5 years later...

I was reading this too see if there is a mineral oil with higher zinc ppm than the one I am using which is Nulon racing 25w-60 but looking at the results I am using the highest zinc ppm with this product 2300 ppm of zinc which is highest so far and well priced. If anyone has a higher mineral zinc oil in Australia & well priced please let me know cheers Rod