#21 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

By the time you pay at least $1050 that he wants plus freight it would be more than the American option

#22 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

Hey Gav, I was just reading that"rust bucket" project thread again on 2+2 roof onto a 2 seater and I don't think he ended up using the 2+2 skin did he, from what I can make out he only used the a pillars and drip rails but not the roof skin. Think he ended up saying it's too long a bit wider? Didn't he ? Thats from what I could make out, still might be possible thought ?

#23 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

I think what everybody wants to know, is whether with, say, a 2-seat roof skin overlaid on top of a 2+2 roof skin - with their front edges aligned & centred - is the overall shape of the two skins where they overlap the same or very close?
(If I've explained that properly).
2+2 is longer & wider so is over-sized for grafting on to a 2-seat shell.
Whether any Z parts guys have ever done that comparison I don't know.
My theory is that, no, the 2+2 roof has a less compound curvature in the centre towards the back, as the roof sits up higher. So it will need some wheeling & working to make it work, not within the skills of yours truly DIYer (me) anyway.

#24 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Here's a good 2+2 roof surface rust only. I parted a car out last year and it was too good to throw away and has no sunroof hole. Located in Ballarat so not too far away. Don't wait too long if you want it because i'll use it for patch panel otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails

• 45121_7725b191131c11e116c2c34c75dd673195ac864c.jpg

#25 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

I would buy that roof skin off the 2+2 but I'm still a bit on the fence as to weather it would work or not. I don't doubt it would with the right tools and person operating those tools but I'm just a DIYer. I would give it a crack if it had been done before or it was known to be possible but I'm not sure? I've got the same question as gilltech and I also have the same theory about it. Don't know any other options though dispite America and a composite roof.sorry to ask again but Would anyone happen to have a lead on the roof mold Benzed used or of any other mold in Australia for a composite material 240z roof?

#26 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

In my opinion the reason 9 out of 10 projects fail. Lack of knowledge and even worse, fear!

#27 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

I see where your coming from there and I could just have a go, the thing stopping me is the fact that I can get one from America and I would bring in some reproduction panels as well to save on freight and do it all at once. I would say as well that my project would be more likely to fail being over optimistic than a lack of knowledge. Eg. Getting in in way over my head trying to transform a 2+2 roof to a 2 seater when I could save my self a massive head ache and buy one from from America? That would just be my theory

#28 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:23 PM

In my opinion the reason 9 out of 10 projects fail. Lack of knowledge and even worse, fear!

Not sure I agree, I would have thought the two biggest offenders would be
- Funding, or lack of
- Family and other time pressures.

#29 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,389 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

Not sure I agree, I would have thought the two biggest offenders would be
- Funding, or lack of
- Family and other time pressures.

I'm sure it's a combination of all these factors.

@Scoota - I'm interested in the roof if between the time I'm next in Melbourne and your next project you haven't already used it. But don't wait on me, I'll find another if I have to or just wheel up my own patch panel.

I agree though, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Someone has to give it a go and try and perhaps fail so we all know what is and isn't possible. We can't just rely on someone else to do it first before giving it a go. Of course it helps, but the cost of a 2+2 roof skin will be a fraction of a 2 seater roof I'd think. So worth a punt!

#30 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,389 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

Another option.
http://allclassicimp...tsun-parts.html

Came across this business in the Nissan Car Club Magazine, seems they have mainly Roadster parts but import a lot of parts from the US.

Would certainly be worth asking if they can find 2 seater roof and other S30z panels like doors etc..

Should be able to give you an accurate price on costs of importing etc.. Saves the hassle of dealing with importation fee's and all the paperwork that goes with it.

#31 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

Prob easiest to get a professional restorer to wheel up a patch panel and repair the hole if you are worried about making a mess of it. Large flat panels are quite hard as the risk of warping them when welding in new sections is high. Even with a mig down on a low setting you can still warp flat panels.

#32 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Another option.
http://allclassicimp...tsun-parts.html

Came across this business in the Nissan Car Club Magazine, seems they have mainly Roadster parts but import a lot of parts from the US.

Would certainly be worth asking if they can find 2 seater roof and other S30z panels like doors etc..

Should be able to give you an accurate price on costs of importing etc.. Saves the hassle of dealing with importation fee's and all the paperwork that goes with it.

Yeah that seems like it's worth a shot

Prob easiest to get a professional restorer to wheel up a patch panel and repair the hole if you are worried about making a mess of it. Large flat panels are quite hard as the risk of warping them when welding in new sections is high. Even with a mig down on a low setting you can still warp flat panels.

Funny you mention that because I've been focusing on finding a patch panel for my roof as I'm now gonna try and fix it, I used some bits of aluminium shaped to the curve of a good s30z 2 seater roof and then I went to "pick a part" when I was down in melbourne to find a car with the same curve and just cut it out with a cordless grinder and paid $10! for a massive bit of roof. Can report that when I got home from melbourne and layed it on the roof it looked perfect! I'll do a more detailed write up on it when I start my build thread and show what car I cut the roof out of. Also thought I would say that there is an early rx7 down at pick a part if any one wants it don't know if there in demand or not just thought I would say in case someone is after one

#33 HKSZ

HKSZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:38 PM

I might have one in Bendigo, does have some rust. pm if you want my number

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users