Zeds to be invited to Race at Queensland Raceway alongside other Historic cars!

dat2kman

I've just had a call from the organiser of the Prod Sports caregory for the Historic Racing Car Club of Queensland.

There may be a possibility, once again, for non historic lgbooked Zeds to race ( not sprints) ie flag to flag racing, at Qld R/way on the Clubman circuit, over two days

When? Last weekend of August 2015

Cost, between $270 and $325 ( min grid 15, max grid 20)

Requirements f car, roll cage, usual safety's ( logbook not needed)

Driver requirements, full safety's AND a FHR/HANS device.

You purchase a Single Race event licence from QR-RACERS

No need to be a member f any CAMS club.

You will be racing with and amongst Group S Historic Production Sports cars, of various marques.

This is a grid filling exercise as the HRCC are very aware of the low number ( approx 12-14) of Qld based Group S cars.

It is an excellent opportunity for a modified Datsun Z to get involved in two days of racing, and possible Friday practice, and it is at very low cost!

Wonderfull opportunity for all the usual sprints runners to move up a rung!

Any queries, ask/post below

I've just had a call from the organiser of the Prod Sports caregory for the Historic Racing Car Club of Queensland.

There may be a possibility, once again, for non historic lgbooked Zeds to race ( not sprints) ie flag to flag racing, at Qld R/way on the Clubman circuit, over two days

When? Last weekend of August 2015

Cost, between $270 and $325 ( min grid 15, max grid 20)

Requirements f car, roll cage, usual safety's ( logbook not needed)

Driver requirements, full safety's AND a FHR/HANS device.

You purchase a Single Race event licence from QR-RACERS

No need to be a member f any CAMS club.

You will be racing with and amongst Group S Historic Production Sports cars, of various marques.

This is a grid filling exercise as the HRCC are very aware of the low number ( approx 12-14) of Qld based Group S cars.

It is an excellent opportunity for a modified Datsun Z to get involved in two days of racing, and possible Friday practice, and it is at very low cost!

Wonderfull opportunity for all the usual sprints runners to move up a rung!

Any queries, ask/post below

Sounds good Jason - I am a YES & reckon another 3 or 4 will follow from ZCCQ :)

It was a total hoot back in 2008 8)

What is a good time for these cars around the clubman circuit. Just had a go in the V8 cars and was wondering how I went against what you guys can do. ;)

From memory (it was back in 2008) times were in the 62 - 64 second a lap range... :)

My Zed did 61-62 sec around the clubman at a MX5 club day when I did a shakedown for the motor after it's last rebuild. Was chuffed to get FTD on a shakedown, but a bit unfair when you take a howitzer to a fist fight.

My NA6 mx5 propels me around the clubman in around 67-68's

No Pete, your times are pretty good for the first time in a car and not having spent much time going around there. As simple a track as QR is the clubman circuit can be tricky to get right when going through the dipper. Plus turns 1 and 2 take a bit to get used to and to trust the car to get through.

Hi Jason. This looks like a very good idea, and could possibly lead to some of these guys turning to the Group S racing. Look forward to seeing how it all works out.

Gordon, Richard (zed74) refers to the 2008 event, where I got a call from the event promotor f a Muscle&Sports Race weekend, they had plenty of cars for the Group N Tourers, but with only 6-8 Group S cars, they went a-looking for "grid fillers"

Well, didn't we have a ball!

No CAMS full circuit race licenses, no lgbooks, basic safety's, and it was on!

The Tarmac spec Zeds, in triple carbies, big brakes, fat tyres, were up against one Group S spec Datsun Z, two Shelby GT350 Mustangs, a Marcos, a couple 308 Ferraris, and a half dozen Alfa 105's, all on skinny rims, drum brakes on back, stocko fronts, and stocko sealed standard carbied engines!

Full on Flagto Flag racing, we put on a show, even trying to come up with a cunning ploy to setup a Malachi Crunch on the Mustangs off the line, but their bulk wheelspin buggered their plans to outdrag the Zeds out front!

Lee Falkiner in his 3.0 triple webered bg braked slick shod orange Z took out three races, Me in my Group S car was close second, and a win in thefourth, even managing to outgun Lee's Z  to lead on lap 1 or two, but the six inch tyres get a bit loose, and he drive around me!

The Tarmac Zeds did very well to keep the Mustangs and Ferraris at bay, finishing very close behind in each event.

What was experienced by the non Group S guys, was overall very satisfying, and it showed to the Group S guys that non Group S cars can and do run well together.

We've been trying to get this up and running again, and it would semm that it comes down to numbers, ie lack f Group S guys, who WANT to race, but cant, as we need minimum grid numbers for the event to be viable.

There are some, however, who are somewhat aggrieved that the non-historic cars may run again!!!

Stupid viewpoint, it worked before, it'll work again!

Be interesting to see how the Z Car Club's Zeds go this time around, most of them have improved a lot since the last QR showdown, particularly with engine power. Plus we will have real lap times by Natsoft for all to see.

Real lap times, last time, on Natsoft, for all to see!

It's a great shame not to have any close to engine parity cars there.

Most of the Z's running in the Sprints these days are into the. " my dicks bigger than yours" thing with engine capacities. All are  3 litre plus,

or they are just Sports Sedans/Outlaws, which wont be acceptable, due to just not being "in the spirit"

Mike Mc's new Group S car will be at 2.6, mines at 2.8 ( current lap record holder in Historic class at QR Clubman!)

Rob Switzers car is also Group S.

Any suggestions as to who else is close to engine parity?

Real lap times, last time, on Natsoft, for all to see!

It's a great shame not to have any close to engine parity cars there.

Most of the Z's running in the Sprints these days are into the. " my dicks bigger than yours" thing with engine capacities. All are  3 litre plus,

or they are just Sports Sedans/Outlaws, which wont be acceptable, due to just not being "in the spirit"

Mike Mc's new Group S car will be at 2.6, mines at 2.8 ( current lap record holder in Historic class at QR Clubman!)

Rob Switzers car is also Group S.

Any suggestions as to who else is close to engine parity?

Jason,

Hutley & my engines are 2950cc :)

I think Lee Falkner & Mckeon are the only 3.1 stokers running in qld consistently.

Surely it's a good thing that blokes are developing their Z cars to go faster, certainly makes them more fun and challenging to drive for a start. Anyway, if Zeds are wanted to fill up a field they will just have to take what's available and let's keep in mind that the blokes who have put their hand up here have no recent QR experience at all, which is certainly a handicap.

• 1 month later...

Oki-doki,

Looks like this is definately on!

It's the last weekend in August at QR on the Clubman layout.

To any interested in running in this. And even f you didnt run the last one, I encourage you to give it a go!

Cars are to be rollcaged, and follow the principle pf Production Sports Car, with the addition f usual safety features as is required for Sprints meetings.

No Slck tyres, only treaded type tyres, ideal type cars are  pre 1976 Classic Sports cars.

( that leaves it fairly broad!)

Qld Raceways does have a HANS polcy, requiring you to wear one.

Unsure of final entry cost, but for two days of racing racing. Expect around $300

The group organiser is

Stan Adler,,, phone 0414 911 901

He requires a phone call ASAP to show interest, and put you on his mailout list, and will be adking for a $100 deposit front, as the HRCC have to make a financial commitment and pay Qld Raceway, as is usual!

Any questions about this event, ask away down below.

Lets keep the big dick swinging contests elsewhere, lest we get bogged down in mire of times, modifications and who has bigger cohunas etc.

Lets get some of you racing!

If you have mates with cars that may not be on this site ( ask them,,,,) then let them know aboutit.

If Stan Adler does not answer straight away, he 's prob on way back from Phillip Island.

Oki-doki,

Looks like this is definately on!

It's the last weekend in August at QR on the Clubman layout.

To any interested in running in this. And even f you didnt run the last one, I encourage you to give it a go!

Cars are to be rollcaged, and follow the principle pf Production Sports Car, with the addition f usual safety features as is required for Sprints meetings.

No Slck tyres, only treaded type tyres, ideal type cars are  pre 1976 Classic Sports cars.

( that leaves it fairly broad!)

Qld Raceways does have a HANS polcy, requiring you to wear one.

Unsure of final entry cost, but for two days of racing racing. Expect around $300

The group organiser is

Stan Adler,,, phone 0414 911 901

He requires a phone call ASAP to show interest, and put you on his mailout list, and will be adking for a $100 deposit front, as the HRCC have to make a financial commitment and pay Qld Raceway, as is usual!

Any questions about this event, ask away down below.

Lets keep the big dick swinging contests elsewhere, lest we get bogged down in mire of times, modifications and who has bigger cohunas etc.

Lets get some of you racing!

If you have mates with cars that may not be on this site ( ask them,,,,) then let them know aboutit.

If Stan Adler does not answer straight away, he 's prob on way back from Phillip Island.

Sounds great Jason...will let Mike, Greg & any other rollcaged zed know ;)

Are the Hankook Z214 ok to use?

Should be a buzz :)

They want a tyre that looks like it has vague groovy things, a few of, rather than something that has one very thin faint shallow single circumferential groove.

Would you run Targa Tad or Classoc Adelaide in them?

Greg & I have some old A048 Yoko's that could be entertaining to run on! :)

Bought them for Bathurst in 2010 (FoSC meeting) and barely scrubbed them in...nonone told us Bathurst Wasn"t hard on tyres! :D

• 1 month later...

They want a tyre that looks like it has vague groovy things, a few of, rather than something that has one very thin faint shallow single circumferential groove.

Would you run Targa Tad or Classoc Adelaide in them?

Z214 Hankooks have two grooves Jason! ;)

Z214 Hankooks have two grooves Jason! ;)

same as the Kumho v710's!

Near enough to a slick.

Ring Stan Adler, i feel he will want the invited cars to be on similar patterning rubber as the Group S cars,

The invited's mostly run a 50 series, as do some Group S cars, so no drama on height of sidewall.

Heck even my little Roadster, i have been asked to comply and I run a Group S spec tyre, when playing with them, all on the basis of fairness etc etc, and happy to do so, to keep the peace!

BTW, Richard, have ypu spoken to Stan to let him know how many and who??

Anyone else reading this topic, and would like to inow more, please post below!

• 4 months later...

Thanks Jason, I had a hoot racing with the Sc and other invited cars.  Finished third overall over the weekend but learnt a lot and identified a car handling issue which hasn't been apparent at Morgan Park! Stan was insistent I run an R spec tyre so bought some Yokohama A050s to get a track feel for this rubber.  Great in the dry, not as good as our Dunlop DZ03s, we run in Tarmacs, in the wet!  Trying too hard and fell off when the rain started Saturday arvo!! Now very enthused to finish the Sc car. By the way, the Bolwell turned up on slicks. Since when have they been allowed in Group S?