#1 Rat1314

Rat1314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

I'm getting the brakes on the 280 rebuilt and I have just been told there is a problem with the rear brake calipers(series 2 rear calipers). The bearing case thats in the bottom is apparently very rusty and probably not salvageable and to make matters worse is I have also been told that those parts may no longer be available but my mate is looking. So another option is to change to a different (more common) rear caliper and rotor. I've been looking but everything is for the S30 cars and not the S130. I have both series 1 and 2 rear control arms so any combo that fits either one is fine. I'm not looking at upgrading just something that works and it's also 4 stud. Any help would be great.

#2 Wayne G

Wayne G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Tagline:Not So New Member

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

I have heard that ford falcon rear calipers go on without to much fuss.  Quick Google and I found

http://forums.hybrid...130-conversion/

http://www.viczcar.c...?topic=12744.0.

I am fairly sure that dat2kman could give specific advice about getting the ford calipers on.

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

No not me, but a chap near me, ( actually zed74's father!) has done the Falcon rear caliper conversion, but iirc he used a BA model setup with the backing plate off the Falcon, welded up, and then redrilled to mount onto the lower strut mounts ( on a 260Z, not a ZX).

Imackz in that link just above looks like he got it!
You can redrill those doscs to 4 stud, just pick one existing hole ( they are 5x114.3 pcd) and drill 3 more at 12mFalcons are 1/2", so the hole you dont drill will be loose, but the three fresh drilled will be snug.

Not sure if there is some form f machined register ring to lcate disc onto s130 hub, hub mount face, but one would be a good idea.

#4 Rat1314

Rat1314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I was hoping to try and keep things simple and as little machine work as possible. I had seen imacks post before but it doesn't seem to be finished, I might consider going this route if parts can't be found to fix the current calipers. The one on Hybridz looks like a lot of work and I would have to find a bunch of Z31 stuff to make it work. Dat2kman, I have seen plenty of S30 conversions and I don't think they would carry over to the S130 in the same way

#5 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I was hoping to try and keep things simple and as little machine work as possible. I had seen imacks post before but it doesn't seem to be finished, I might consider going this route if parts can't be found to fix the current calipers. The one on Hybridz looks like a lot of work and I would have to find a bunch of Z31 stuff to make it work. Dat2kman, I have seen plenty of S30 conversions and I don't think they would carry over to the S130 in the same way

Hello, the car brakes really well, it is finished, just need to do some testing
made adapter plates that Simon welding onto the hubs to fit the falcon caliper (these are used on alot of hot rods) due to the handbrake & rear brake combination
the rear discs are off a 350z , might go to vented later
All works well

#6 Rat1314

Rat1314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

Do you have anymore photos of your set up?

#7 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Do you have anymore photos of your set up?

No, but can take some in the weekend.

#8 Rat1314

Rat1314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

If you can that would be great thanks

#9 Rat1314

Rat1314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Bump! I have found a place that can rebuild the calipers but they have to make the bushes and bearings, price is quite high. I'm still looking for options if anyone knows of any that does not involve welding, I am capable of the work but would rather avoid it if possible as this isn't my car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users