#21 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

The O5L is like a baby version of a P90, but without the stupid huge combustion chambers, but same shaped short side radius!

Using carefull application of a file, and then some 80 grit belt sandiner paper, and a hammer, the casting mark can dissappear.
" Casting number, what casting number"
By rights the injection version of the e88 head is incorrect, the pictures in the homologation documents dont show the injection cut outs.

Yes the regs are crazy, bit the challenge is to make the best of it.

#22 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

Cracker, good idea to contact the seller. I doubt he will want to decommission a running car to accommodate my needs but it's worth a try.
Bonkers, I didn't even know the O5L existed. I don't know anything about them. What did it come off? I will fire off an email to the engine builder.
Agno, I'm building up a an early '74 260, so it will be carbureted not fuel injected. My interest in the E88 EFI head is the combustion chamber shape.

#23 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

Is the EFI E88 chamber different to an earlier E88?

#24 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

No, chamber is the same, the later E88's just had the notches for the njectors.
Ports are all same size.

Mike, I have a virgin O5L head here. And a P90, to compare it to alongside.
Can sell

#25 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:59 AM

Ports are all same size.

Can sell

Jason,
I do not believe the chamber is the same...I had plenty of E88 carb. heads - but had to find the injected head to achieve the result...

#26 HKSZ

HKSZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

FWIW i don't think you will find efi E88 in anything that was delivered in OZ. A US 280z maybe

I sold the motor out of my MR30 hatch and it was n47, are you sure that's not what your after has a more desirable chamber shape

#27 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

FWIW i don't think you will find efi E88 in anything that was delivered in OZ. A US 280z maybe

I sold the motor out of my MR30 hatch and it was n47, are you sure that's not what your after has a more desirable chamber shape

The R30 skylines did have E88 EFI heads. I'm sure I've seen them before in Junk Yards.

http://www.sau.com.a...ions/?p=2356505

Full thread here: http://www.sau.com.a...head-questions/

#28 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Ports are all same size.

Can sell

Can you please post photos of these side by side? I'm very interested in the combustion chamber shape of the 05L head.

#29 Bonkers

Bonkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

I believe it came of a 2L series 6. I had a 79 fairlady with a 2000cc 6. But it had a Y70 head on it and it looks very close to that. So my guess it is from a 2 litre engine and someone removed the runners from the exhaust .Started some porting  but compared to a N42 you will be there for a while with the die grinder.

#30 240ZR

240ZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Gav is spot on. They came off the R30 Skylines, I know cause I had 1/2 a dozen of these babies & only have 2 left which I'll be using on my L14 speced L28's. I'm pretty certain the N47's have the same cc (have one of these too), only problem is u have to remove the steel ex inserts.

#31 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

i cant believe you still cant find one, if i didn't tell a good mate he could have the E88 that was in my shed i would have sold it too you, i may however have a nm47 coming soon

#32 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Hi pauly_adams, it's not the common ol' garden variety E88 that came on the L26 that I'm chasing. It's an E88 efi head that came on a Skyline MR30 hatcback (1982 I think). It has fuel injector notches on the intake ports (like an N42/P90) and very small combustion chamber, small valves and ports. The engine compensated the small CC with deep dished Pistons. It's for a Group Sc competition engine. The small CC aids very high compression required to make HP with small displacement. Technically and legally you are not supposed to add metal to heads. Only allowed to remove, hence my "head-hunt".

#33 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

i have 2x carb E88 heads, one a very early one similar to the E31, other is a later one, i have 1x E88  EFI from a R30 skyline, i also have 2xN42 head and a Nm47 from a R30 also

#34 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

i have 2x carb E88 heads, one a very early one similar to the E31, other is a later one, i have 1x E88  EFI from a R30 skyline, i also have 2xN42 head and a Nm47 from a R30 also

Mike will want to be your MATE! ;) ;D :D

#35 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hi pauly_adams, it's not the common ol' garden variety E88 that came on the L26 that I'm chasing. It's an E88 efi head that came on a Skyline MR30 hatcback (1982 I think). It has fuel injector notches on the intake ports (like an N42/P90) and very small combustion chamber, small valves and ports. The engine compensated the small CC with deep dished Pistons. It's for a Group Sc competition engine. The small CC aids very high compression required to make HP with small displacement. Technically and legally you are not supposed to add metal to heads. Only allowed to remove, hence my "head-hunt".

Nissan got away with using the E88, notching it for injection, etc as it was fitted to a2.4 litre block running the standard 7cc volume dished pistons.
Any larger engine capacity and the compression would jave been a bit high, this is why later or 2.6 litre or 2.8 litre heads had larger combustion chambers.

The O5L has small combustion chambers as it was only fitted to a 2 litre engine, 7cc dished piston for low comp, and ran a tiny weeny Turbocharger, L20ET.
Stick that on a 2.4/2.6/2.8/3.0 and same effect.
It's all to do with cylinder displacement, bigger volume, more stuff to be sqashed up, into a small size chamber.

Gav, yes, one day,,,, i should pull them out, and put them both up and take pics.
When will this site allow me to upload pics direct from the Ipad? ( image file size too large,,,,,)

#36 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Nissan got away with using the E88, notching it for injection, etc as it was fitted to a2.4 litre block running the standard 7cc volume dished pistons.
Any larger engine capacity and the compression would jave been a bit high, this is why later or 2.6 litre or 2.8 litre heads had larger combustion chambers.

The O5L has small combustion chambers as it was only fitted to a 2 litre engine, 7cc dished piston for low comp, and ran a tiny weeny Turbocharger, L20ET.
Stick that on a 2.4/2.6/2.8/3.0 and same effect.
It's all to do with cylinder displacement, bigger volume, more stuff to be sqashed up, into a small size chamber.

Gav, yes, one day,,,, i should pull them out, and put them both up and take pics.
When will this site allow me to upload pics direct from the Ipad? ( image file size too large,,,,,)

Hi Jason,
OK - as I know you do know your Datto's...

What you are saying is the E88 head that is on my original 1972 L24 motor is in fact the same combustion chamber size as the E88 injected head I managed to secure...?

#37 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hopefully in the not too distant future.

#38 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Hi Jason,
OK - as I know you do know your Datto's...

What you are saying is the E88 head that is on my original 1972 L24 motor is in fact the same combustion chamber size as the E88 injected head I managed to secure...?

What pistons were in the small bore L24? IIRC they were flat tops, or the very shallow dish?
The CC's may have varied by 1 or 2 cc due to later valve sozing and other protrusipns.
E31 was the gun head. Bit Rocking Horse do do though!

#39 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:48 AM

What pistons were in the small bore L24? IIRC they were flat tops, or the very shallow dish?
The CC's may have varied by 1 or 2 cc due to later valve sozing and other protrusipns.
E31 was the gun head. Bit Rocking Horse do do though!

Hi Jason,
The Injected L24 had dished pistons in it...sitting in my garage ATM fully wrapped in clear plastic :)

BTW its available for sale if anyone can use it (fully reco. by GEM in Melbourne - BUT now minus the E88 head)

#40 240ZR

240ZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

Mike, u have a PM, check ur inbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users