theremm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

Hi Alan,

I've contacted R Factory and they still are making the airboxes.

He only offers the airbox in white and the latches are a different style to yours (I think.. the translated english is not that great).

I was wondering - Did you paint your airbox and have you fitted those latches yourself? Or is that exactly how you purchased it? 

And what are you doing for a filter?

Airbox is 35,000 yen without drilling for installation or 40,000 yen with drilling for mounting holes.

Edited by theremm, 02 August 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#62 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hi Alan,

I've contacted R Factory and they still are making the airboxes.

He only offers the airbox in white and the latches are a different style to yours (I think.. the translated english is not that great).

I was wondering - Did you paint your airbox and have you fitted those latches yourself? Or is that exactly how you purchased it? 

And what are you doing for a filter?

Yes, mine came in the any-colour-you-like-as-long-as-it's-white option. I painted it orange myself. I also installed the clips myself, as R-Factory only supplied the airbox at the time (and probably now) with a pair of giant nylon tie-wraps to keep the cover on. I soon got bored with that. No filter! There's a fine mesh screen in the 'mouth' of the cover which I considered better than nothing at all. Doesn't really get hot enough over here to warrant a cold air duct but it would be easily done I think. 

#63 theremm

theremm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

Interesting info, thanks Alan. A couple more questions then if that’s ok. Very keen to buy one of these airboxes, just want to understand the practicality!

1. Regarding the filter – did R Factory supply the airbox with the mesh screen? And in hindsight do you think this is sufficient? I never even noticed it from the pictures. I imagine that metal circular ring at the opening is what holds the mesh in place?
  2. Mounting holes: did you drill these yourself or have R Factory supply the box with the holes pre-drilled for mounting?
  3. Paint: did you have this powder coated or did you  just use a spray can?
  4. Yep, still supplied with the nylon tie downs. Will definitely be swapping for a set of those latches! Yours look good

Thanks Alan

#64 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

I can take some up close pics later today if Alan has nothing on hand. Just let me know what you need pics or measurements of.

The mesh is intergrated in the aluminium ring, it's very robust. I couldn't see the mesh failing under any normal circumstances.

#65 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Base plate is 3mm aluminium. Mesh and intake 'ring' look to be epoxy'd in place, very tight you can't even dent the mesh by pushing it.

Total length 680mm
Depth at fattest point is 140mm
Base plate length 600mm

The longways pic of the air box doesn't show the taper, must've been the lights. It tapers like Alana front to rear.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0697.JPG
  • IMG_0698.JPG
  • IMG_0699.JPG
  • IMG_0700.JPG
  • IMG_0701.JPG

Edited by Gareth. J., 03 August 2017 - 05:19 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#66 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

I concur with what Gareth says, except that my version of the R-Factory airbox had trumpets integral with the base plate:

mtbCy6.jpg

As you can see, they were welded on. I would have though the option to drill your own holes and mount you own trumpets/airhorns would be better (as long as they fit under the cover...) and would explain the cheaper price option.

• gav240z likes this

#67 theremm

theremm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the responses Gareth and Alan (and sorry for the late response Gareth, been a busy day at work!!).

Mesh filter looks very sturdy, I was concerned initially it wouldn't have been fitted to the box nicely.

Strange that they welded the trumpets on.. I think I will drill my own holes just to be on the safe side then.

Looking forward to getting the airbox. Will have to order through Jesse Streeter or similar as R Factory won't ship outside of Japan unfortunately

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users