Stock Looking Airbox for Triple Mikuni Carburetors

gav240z

Gerry & Dave Castrechini - Presto Industries.

As Craig mentioned a few posts back, Gerry heavily modified a 260Z airbox to work with the triple carbs on his 240K.

While I'm sure all these airbox's works well with standard-ish engine setup's, they would be a restriction any serious HP L-series.

It would be best to understand one's requirements before going off making something that may not be suitable...

Lurch, what is the ITG megaflow filter like? I have seen you used this on your recent L28 build for that 240k.

In my opinion the ITG megaflow filter looks the best out of all aftermarket air boxes/filters and probably the most 'stock' looking too

Lurch, what is the ITG megaflow filter like? I have seen you used this on your recent L28 build for that 240k.

They are a fantastic filter - excellent filtration with high air flow through the foam element.

'If' there is an induction fire (backfire) the foam filter is designed to release Co2 when burnt & extinguish the fire.

In my opinion the ITG megaflow filter looks the best out of all aftermarket air boxes/filters and probably the most 'stock' looking too

I think you need your eyes checked mate. They look like a big foam condom & not 'stock' looking at all!

Edited by Lurch ™

They are a fantastic filter - excellent filtration with high air flow through the foam element.

'If' there is an induction fire (backfire) the foam filter is designed to release Co2 when burnt & extinguish the fire.

I think you need your eyes checked mate. They look like a big foam condom & not 'stock' looking at all!

Hahaha yes but apart from that they are similar shape and colour :P closer than any of the other options available anyway !!

• Moderators

That is a neat trick, and I had never heard of it.

Yes showing my ignorance.

This could look OK, painted in Datsun Airfilter Cover Orange?

Yeah would look alright (nice even in black) but would it function as effectively without the pod filter up front? I assume there is no filter inside the box?

Edited by theremm

On one of my cars I'm using an 'R Factory' airbox originally designed for the S20 engine. I turned it upside down and it fits OK on the L-series with triple carbs.

It has a machined alloy backplate with integral trumpets/airhorns. The outer cover fits into a channel machined in the back plate, and I added some over-centre clips to retain it (original R-Factory design recommended big tie wraps).

There's a fine mesh screen on the inlet. It's supposed to be ducted to a point in front of the radiator support panel, but I didn't bother. 

post-100818-0-49037600-1445417154_thumb.jpg

On one of my cars I'm using an 'R Factory' airbox originally designed for the S20 engine. I turned it upside down and it fits OK on the L-series with triple carbs.

It has a machined alloy backplate with integral trumpets/airhorns. The outer cover fits into a channel machined in the back plate, and I added some over-centre clips to retain it (original R-Factory design recommended big tie wraps).

There's a fine mesh screen on the inlet. It's supposed to be ducted to a point in front of the radiator support panel, but I didn't bother. 

That looks good Alan. I have been looking out for an S20 box (complete setup) for a while and was hoping to flip it over and use all the air filter accessories up front too. Hard to come by one for sale though.

That looks good Alan. I have been looking out for an S20 box (complete setup) for a while and was hoping to flip it over and use all the air filter accessories up front too. Hard to come by one for sale though.

OEM airbox for S20 (432 type) would be quite tricky to flip over and use on an L-series 6 I think. They are quite assymetric, and have integral trumpets/air horns inside, attached to the outer cover. It would need a fair bit of faffing around to re-jig it all. It might even interfere with the exhaust manifold.

I've got a 432 airbox that I was going to use for my 432-R replica project (even though a proper 432-R wouldn't have had an air box and filter system...) and I modified it to fit bigger trumpets (to suit the 45DCOEs instead of the OEM 40PHH Mikunis). Then I chickened out (or manned-up, depending on how you look at it) and decided to run without. 

post-100818-0-87376100-1445423743_thumb.jpg

post-100818-0-36379000-1445423769_thumb.jpg

post-100818-0-31085000-1445423793_thumb.jpg

post-100818-0-68613100-1445423819_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm just going to park these images here because Craigslist deletes images and postings quickly...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5256022426.html

I can't tell if it's fiberglass mould or not.

However it looks well made and certainly looks at home in the engine bay.

-Custom 3" Ram Air/cold air intake hand from sealed early air cleaner housing. Refinished inside & out in a matched original orange with gold flake added(subtle but GORGEOUS, metallic only pops in the sun, has a factory look to it)

airbox-stock-mod-1.jpg

airbox-stock-mod-2.jpg

airbox-stock-mod-3.jpg

airbox-stock-mod.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OEM airbox for S20 (432 type) would be quite tricky to flip over and use on an L-series 6 I think. They are quite assymetric, and have integral trumpets/air horns inside, attached to the outer cover. It would need a fair bit of faffing around to re-jig it all. It might even interfere with the exhaust manifold.

I've got a 432 airbox that I was going to use for my 432-R replica project (even though a proper 432-R wouldn't have had an air box and filter system...) and I modified it to fit bigger trumpets (to suit the 45DCOEs instead of the OEM 40PHH Mikunis). Then I chickened out (or manned-up, depending on how you look at it) and decided to run without.

Hi alan, i just realised the s20 airbox inlet will be facing inside the firewall instead of outside if installed to a L series engine. How do you rectify it? Can it be installed upside down?

Edited by locklock

Hi alan, i just realised the s20 airbox inlet will be facing inside the firewall instead of outside if installed to a L series engine. How do you rectify it? Can it be installed upside down?

The OEM 432 airbox will only fit the S20 engine layout. You can't flip it upside down and use it on an L-gata engined car because the shape is asymmetric. Not a problem for me as I was going to use it on an S20 engine.

The one you can flip upside down is the R Factory aftermarket airbox for the S20 engine (see post #33) which can be fitted to the L-gata with triple carbs and the outer cover simply flipped upside down. It's symmetrical, so that's not a problem. It doesn't foul the battery and you can take the cover on and off with no clearance problems. 

• Administrators

That is a Prince Skyline GTB air box.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11530-fs-76-260z-2-seater/?p=136854

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/10/17/rare-jdm-sedan-1966-nissan-prince-skyline-gt-b/

You will need to modify the backing plate otherwise I believe the airbox sits high and can foul on the bonnet.

Personally I'd feel a bit awkward cutting up a rare airbox... But maybe I'm odd?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

R-factory website if anyone is looking for the airbox Alan used.

http://www.r-factory.com/

I can't see the airbox on their website, Alan is it a case of asking them for it? I just wanted to get an idea of what price it was.

Just got Triples on my 72 but want a nicer looking Airbox.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11823-evie-1972-datsun-240z/?p=194501

• Administrators

By the way Alan, are you running 40mm Solex carbs on your L24?