• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hey guys,
Trying to start my new Zed today.  Drained old fuel, replaced with new fuel, added an inline fuel filter but as Im cranking the filter isn't filling.  Checked lines back to the tank and can hear bubbles when I blow so that should be fine - could it be the fuel pump?  Anyone in Melbourne have a spare I could borrow to test?  Thanks

Rev

#2 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

May be blocked up stream. That would cause a air lock. Maybe take off outlet to pump and see if you can feel any pressure when you crank or fuel pumping out.

#3 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Tagline:1976 260z 2+2 Sunburst 1989 300zx Z32TT 2+2 Black

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

does sound like pump, just un bolt it and leave it hanging on the filter side, you can then manually operate the lever and see if its working. and, if you have not had it running, just have a quick look at the cam front and make sure the out of round thingy is on the end, I got caught once where it had been removed after adding an electric pump,
Linton

#4 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Drained "o
D fuel" you say.
Been sitting for a while, car recently moved around. Old tanks get condensation on roof, go bit flaky, and chunks of stuff drop off.
Fuel pickup in tank is 3-5 mm off floor, just a bit of 1/4" pipe bent over, eady for crud to enter, and jam, slowing flow down. ( bit like tiny kdney stones down the old fella!)

Try priming lines with fuel, they are prob empty/evaporated, if mech pump at engine, unbolt and opereate lever, hold finger over outlet, it should be blowing squirts of air out. Opereate lever lots and lots.

If no squirt/suction, a pump kit may be in order.

#5 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

so I took off the pump, cleaned it and I can feel some pressure when I move the arm, just want to check if this is set up correct as it sits against the cam thingy?

Attached Thumbnails

• 44298_3b567a6a49e01210bb28e1183d6ffd8abb8f31f6.jpg

#6 Wayne G

Wayne G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Tagline:Not So New Member

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

try priming the pump by drawing fuel through it.  once filled it may function more efficiently; sometimes dry pumps don't seal well enough to lift the fuel from the tank.

#7 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Tagline:1976 260z 2+2 Sunburst 1989 300zx Z32TT 2+2 Black

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

that pic is ok as it shoul be, as others said it could be a few other things. the arm will have spring pressure when operated maually, dont think that it is fuel pressure. try pumping it by hand, to test I can only repeat what dat2kman said, and make sure when you bolt the top on the pump you are holding the lever fully in, let the arm go after you have done the screws up.

"Try priming lines with fuel, they are prob empty/evaporated, if mech pump at engine, unbolt and opereate lever, hold finger over outlet, it should be blowing squirts of air out. Opereate lever lots and lots.

If no squirt/suction, a pump kit may be in order."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users