extractors install

chris240

fellas

Ive still got the original exhaust manifold on my L24. I bought some excellent 2nd hand extractors with pipe upto the 1st "hotdog" a few months back. And Im wondering if I should give them to an exhaust shop to install or give it a go myself...Anyone tried to install extractors themselves ?

chris

yeah just undo the nuts dude.

there are studs into the block if i remember correctly.

cant remember if your intake manifold has to also come off...

either way just replace the intake/exhaust gasket and re-tighten your nuts up to touque specified in your manual.

You'll find that some of the studs/nuts/bolts for the exhaust manifold are shared with flanges of the intake manifold. Remove the whole lot (ie. inlet manifold as a complete unit with carbs etc) as you should install a new gasket which is usually one long piece for both manifolds.

Sometimes studs will unscrew from the head when you try to undo the nuts, so they need to be re-installed with Loc-Tite after you've cleaned the face of the head up of any old gasket material for a smooth clean surface; then hang the new gasket on the studs, & slip the manifolds on & install washers / nuts torqued up to correct spec's. Your extractors have been used before so should fit OK; sometimes new ones are a bit tight in some areas & the steel needs to be relieved a bit here & there to enable everything to slide easily into place - nothing should have to be forced. Some studs may have damaged threads or be bent if any rough work has ever been carried out on your engine, so check them over & replace if in doubt; the new gasket has to be able to seal correctly or you will find your motor will not run so well.

As a side-note, the headers on my car have a slightly thinner steel flange than the intake manifold castings have, so I have to use wide washers & packers under the nuts to accomodate the slight difference & ensure all manifolds are receiving correct pressure from the nuts to prevent gasket leakage; I don't know if other Zed owners have experienced this little hassle.

Actually, as my extractors are old & badly surface rusted, I want to replace them - anybody out there have a brand they would recommend? One company on eBay advertises a set for about $370 which seems a little on the steep side once freight is added but maybe that's typical; I assume they come with the usual thin coat of black paint so a decent rust-proof coating such as the ceramic type will be extra again - can anyone advise?

i installed my extractor myself but it was not easy you best bet is to remove itake manifold eg carbs and old exaust and i found it was easier to feed the extactors up into the engine bay (going from the bottom of engine bay to the top)then to go from the engine bay to the bottom of the engine bay if there over 2.25 inch mine where 2.5 and id say thats y it was so hard but good luck also change your gasket and get some gasket selastic and make sure you get a good seal or u will have a lawn mower on your hands and youll need to remove the extactors and seal it all over again

cheers pauly

I replaced my exhaust headers with a set of extractors from zspares (but they seem to be closed due to health issues at the moment).  I also had the difference in width between the inlet and exhaust manifolds.  To solve the problem I had a set of "stepped" washers fabricated.

HM headers make an acceptable set of extractors for the L24-L28, it is wise to port match the headers to the exhaust ports and clean them up for best results as there is some overlaps bewteen the ex ports and the flange. I think the latest batch have a thicker flange to match the thickness of the inlet manifold.

These retail for around $370.

A good option is to have them ceramic coated after cleaning them up, this will improve flow and heat transfer and prevent rust......they should last forever ::)