240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hey guys

Just doing some planning and number chrunching ($$) for my 240z build. I was wondering if I plan to set the car up towards track days, Tarmac rally events and the like, whilst driving on the street inbetween these events on spare weekends and when desired. Would it be best to buy the techno toy tuning suspension kit front and rear ( coilovers, control arms, camber plates and the rest of the business ) I would be happy spending this money on this kit if it's quility and recommended? Also I know that this area is were I will benifit most on the track and at events but should I spend a reasonable amount of my mechanical budget on this kit or do something else in the suspension department? If so what ?

Thanks, opinions welcome

#2 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hey mate, I hate to be that "just go search guy", but just go search.

This topic has been discussed every which way to Friday and I feel like i have answered the same question a couple of times in the last couple of months.

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Forget all that fancy crap, unless you are down to chasing 10th's of seconds at a race track, and are an expert experienced driver.

Just whack in some lowered h/d springs, and some quality one way adjust shockers, then get it front/rear aligned, by someone that knows how to fix minor Datsun issues.
( ummm, no, not you local 22 year old wheel alligner guy at garage around corner,,,,)

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

Want to know the most cost effective way to make most cars quicker around the track, or anywhere else ??

Improve the driver.  Yes..... Enrol in some driver training courses, the best $$$ you will ever spend. Might even save your life on the street.

Seriously though - I am not suggesting that you are a bad driver, just that there is not much point spending too much on a car until the driver has the skill to get the most out of it.

Just my two cents worth

PB

#5 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

Forget all that fancy crap, unless you are down to chasing 10th's of seconds at a race track, and are an expert experienced driver.

Just whack in some lowered h/d springs, and some quality one way adjust shockers, then get it front/rear aligned, by someone that knows how to fix minor Datsun issues.
( ummm, no, not you local 22 year old wheel alligner guy at garage around corner,,,,)

Thanks for the reply, would be interested to know is there a certain brand and model that's recommended?

Want to know the most cost effective way to make most cars quicker around the track, or anywhere else ??

Improve the driver.  Yes..... Enrol in some driver training courses, the best $$$ you will ever spend. Might even save your life on the street.

Seriously though - I am not suggesting that you are a bad driver, just that there is not much point spending too much on a car until the driver has the skill to get the most out of it.

Just my two cents worth

PB

Couldn't agree with you more mate and that's probably what I will do once on the road it's just that I am rebuilding / restoring the car and figured that I should do it at least half good first time round.

#6 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

King Springs
Koni either Reds or Yellows. For rebound, and, Bump/rebound adjustability/tuning.
Or Tokicko/KYB.

Keep away from Monroe etc etc, which a lot f lcal garages will tell you they are "great"

Been covered on here in past, do searches, or google up King Springs and Koni Shock absorbers.

#7 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Sweet thanks man that's the kind of help I needed, much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users