Sign in to follow this  
shaun240

New 240z member - Sydney

Hi All,

I have been roaming the site for a little while and thought it was time to introduce myself.

Background

It all began well before my time, when my old man purchased a 1973 white 240z about 30+ years ago. He spent his days under the bonnet fiddling, tweaking and tuning his favourite car. Unfortunately, after 4 or so years there came a time when a family car was required so it was time to move on and the white Z was sold..

Growing up, Dad would always go on about his “240z”. My brother and I weren’t quite old enough at the time to really understanding his passion for this car! Photos used to come out on a regular occasion where we believe he used to reminisce about his younger, youthful days. Mum would tell us stories of the constant workshop which was their house, with car parts spread out in the living areas and under the beds etc.

Earlier this year, my brother came up with the plan of buying Dad another Z as a retirement present that we could all work on so the search was on. After a few months of looking, a nice white original 240 came up on Gumtree (someone of you might remember as the car with the clock in the wrong position!). It was a 1973 auto in very original/neat condition. The previous owner had the car for most of its life and it seemed very well looked after. We made contact with the owner, told them our story and the deal was done!

We booked a flight up to Brisbane one weekend and cautiously drove it home. There were a few minor hiccups early on (overheating, snapped bonnet release cable etc.) but overall a fairly reliable car! We rocked up the next day and surprised Dad with the car – at first I think he was in a state of shock, but once it sunk in he seemed rather chuffed.

Upcoming Plans

Since then we have thought long and hard about what we (Dad, my brother and I) would like to do with the car..

After a few checks, we found the motor is matching numbers therefore would be wise to keep the original L24 at this stage. We’d like to complete a manual conversion in due course and freshen up / rebuild the motor with some tripples however for the time being we will be working on the suspension/handling as the original gear is all a bit worn and sloppy. A Ground Control Coilover kit with Koni’s yellows are sitting waiting to be installed along with some new Watanabe’s.

I will start up a new thread in the Members Project section soon which will include more details on the build however feel free to shoot your thoughts/opinions as we would be more than happy to hear other fellow Z owner’s feedback.

Cheers,

Shaun

post-8487-144023759814_thumb.jpg

post-8487-144023760142_thumb.jpg

post-8487-144023760184_thumb.jpg

post-8487-144023760217_thumb.jpg

post-8487-144023760232_thumb.jpg

A like the photos of the original 1970 240z with I assume you standing next to it? I wonder where that car might be now?

*Edit* You know I thought I'd seen that horrendous front bumper before (sorry I'm sure dad thought it was rad and very 911 ish back in the day) but what are the chances that is Mossy's car now?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,4438.0.html

- Same wheels

- Same front bar

- Same sunroof

- Just different paint colour....

Thanks guys

Gav - That's my older brother in the pictures above, I was barely walking when these were taken.

There is a good chance the original may be mossy's car! The fella who bought it off my Dad sent some photos once he did some work on it and funnily enough he painted it red..

post-8487-144023760246_thumb.jpg

Welcome Shaun,

Great story and a really nice gesture.

Looking forward to following your story.

I have been thinking about doing something similar for my father who has always wanted a classic car but has always put what he wanted last.

+1 on hope to see you at thpe next Sydney drive.

Cheers

PB

Yay my car has brother  ;D! what colour wats did you order?

Where did you source the coilover kit if you don't mind me asking. Is it the type you have to cut & weld?

Great write up too.

Welcome to the forums

Welcome Shaun,

good to see more Sydney members. Can relate to your mum's stories of car parts in the house. I too once had a set of new alloy wheels in the living room and recently carbs in the office.

Looking forward to see you and the car in the flesh.

A like the photos of the original 1970 240z with I assume you standing next to it? I wonder where that car might be now?

*Edit* You know I thought I'd seen that horrendous front bumper before (sorry I'm sure dad thought it was rad and very 911 ish back in the day) but what are the chances that is Mossy's car now?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,4438.0.html

- Same wheels

- Same front bar

- Same sunroof

- Just different paint colour....

Looks like the same mirrors as well.

cheers, Mike

Yay my car has brother  ;D! what colour wats did you order?

Where did you source the coilover kit if you don't mind me asking. Is it the type you have to cut & weld?

Great write up too.

Welcome to the forums

Thanks Yo-yo,

We bought a set of gold wats to match the existing gold mesh wheels Dad used to run. BTW these were a custom job job done in his garage and it's good to see they have lasted 30 + years!

The coilover kit and koni's came from Ground Control in the US. Very easy to deal with and good quality product. We're currently in the process of cutting/welding the fronts and replacing bushings so hopefully will be NSW registered and back on the road in a few months time.

How are you going with the suspension changes?

Any brake upgrade thoughts?

Yep, nice history story, good to see it continuing!

You got plans to have kds so you can pass it on?

@dat2kman

shaun240 has left you hanging for quite a while so big brother may as well jump in and give you a quick update of where things are at.

Suspension updates are all but complete.  Coilovers are installed and we have gone through and overhauled most of the original suspension components.  Over-hauled the diff and brakes.  No upgrade brakes wise as yet but im sure we'll do something down the track.

Bought a set of wats and a front bar from Otomoto a fair while back.  Was good to finally get them on and take the car for a spin around the block.  Really happy with the ride feel and stance (may drop the rear another centimetre or two).  Still got to get around to fitting the front bar, although Jnr is having seconds thoughts and maybe wants to stick with the stock valance.

Recently bought a couple of goodies from RHDJapan including Fujitsubo headers and exhaust...... they look good on the living room floor, im sure they will look even better when they finally get installed.

Also bought a manual box from Lurch. Have pulled the motor and auto box out and are currently in the process of organising parts for an engine rebuild.  At this stage we are going to rebuild as stock and maybe cam / triples down the track.

Anyway, things are moving along slowly but surely.  I am sure Jnr will get around to starting his build thread at some stage but until then here are a couple of photos.

post-103508-0-18468200-1443526712_thumb.jpgpost-103508-0-15665700-1443526795_thumb.jpgpost-103508-0-92167000-1443526885_thumb.jpgpost-103508-0-69213100-1443526978_thumb.jpgpost-103508-0-76244300-1443527082_thumb.jpg

post-103508-0-03087200-1443527197_thumb.jpgpost-103508-0-15353100-1443527339_thumb.jpg

Hi Shaun,

Do you mind sharing as to where you got the Watanabes from? 

I have been on a look out for a decent set.

Cheers

Fronts are 15 x 8.0 - 0 offset, rears are 15 x 8.5 - 6 offset. We are really happy with the size and fitment of these wheels for the car.

They were purchase from Ben at Ottomotto - very easy to deal with although I think he has stopped importing these atm.

http://www.otomoto.com.au

I will set up a build thread which will show our progress in more detail.

Shaun

post-103408-0-64457300-1443592927_thumb.jpg

Hi Shaun (and mother240!),

The car is looking great. Don't forget to add it to the WA Z register (it is still the highest known 240Z chassis number in Australia) and start a build thread.

Regarding Watanabe wheels - on 19 May this year, Ben said that "Otomoto is no longer importing Watanabe wheels".

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13468-last-chance-for-genuine-watanabes-at-bargain-prices/

There are no Watanabe wheels left on the Otomoto website, but he has a set of four silver 15 x 7.5 +2 offsets in an eBay listing that ends tomorrow (14:45 EST)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Watanabe-F8-wheels-15x7-5-set-of-four-/291573260734?hash=item43e31ee1be

Currently sitting at $830 (+$80 postage if needed)

and two genuine Watanabe F8 wheels, with new 185/55 Maxtrek tyres fitted. 

Size is 15x7.0 with +1 offset and 4x114.3 stud pattern. Gunmetal black (classic Watanabe colour)

- this listing ends on Monday (5th Oct at 15:48 EST) currently at $300 (+$50 postage if needed)

Fronts are 15 x 8.0 - 0 offset, rears are 15 x 8.5 - 6 offset. We are really happy with the size and fitment of these wheels for the car.

They were purchase from Ben at Ottomotto - very easy to deal with although I think he has stopped importing these atm.

http://www.otomoto.com.au

I will set up a build thread which will show our progress in more detail.

Shaun

And how about tyre size? Front's look OK however rears look like you might get some rubbing over bumps etc?

Tyres are 195/55r15. Fronts are well fitted, rears are slightly stretched so they seem to tuck in under the guards well. We haven't taken it for a good drive yet as the car is still unregistered so unaware of any rubbing issues as yet but the few laps around the block seemed ok at this stage. We also can roll the guards if needed.

Shaun