Sign in to follow this  
EVIL_denver

things you should know about buying overseas....

I think my Mikuni's were just under $1000 at the time or so. I can't recall now if I paid any extra when they arrived but I had to go to the customs office to collect them. It was many years ago now (2005 if I recall correctly).

Hi Adam,

What about remanufactured stuff. That is; a reconditioned engine block, heads, short block or what ever. If value is over $1000 can labour costs be seperated on the invoice and not taxable. I'm thinking about the free trade agreement between Australia and other countries E.G. USA.

Free Trade agreements relate to the import duty/tariffs as opposed to GST etc.  Also depends on the nature of the goods as specific types of goods are excluded under free trade agreements (Remember Abbot claiming a victory over stuff to do with cars/parts with the free trade agreement being negotiated by Japan).

Would suggest a lot would be to do with how they price the goods - if the supplier will break down parts and labour and then list the parts value only on the shipping docket then you would achieve that outcome, but the majority of reman/resto parts have a list price rather than being priced this way.

Free Trade agreements relate to the import duty/tariffs as opposed to GST etc.  Also depends on the nature of the goods as specific types of goods are excluded under free trade agreements (Remember Abbot claiming a victory over stuff to do with cars/parts with the free trade agreement being negotiated by Japan).

Would suggest a lot would be to do with how they price the goods - if the supplier will break down parts and labour and then list the parts value only on the shipping docket then you would achieve that outcome, but the majority of reman/resto parts have a list price rather than being priced this way.

that is correct! Tariffs / duty are calculated by the commercial invoice amount total. Labour cost are 100% included in the duty. If an item cost $500, and there is $500 labour (both shown on the invoice) then you will pay duty on $1000 worth of goods. It all works our the same, For example, you are purchasing a CHEV crate motor from the USA. Although they have included parts and labour in thier cost, this does not show on the invoice. The invoice will be for 1 product (CHEV engine) with the total amount. Although the have not seperated the labour, its included in the cost.