I would like to sell my 240z

kostiwm

Hi Guys

I have a 240z since 1986, it was brought from Capital motors Sydney in 1971 by my brother inlaw, its been garaged all its life and i have had the motor ,gearbox & diff rebuilt in 2000 not to mention new rubbers, dash recovered ,all wheel bearings replaced windscreen and rubbers the body is in good nick but the spray job a bit rough,

what would be a fair price to ask for it?

regards

mick

PS

engin # L24 027546

type HS30 00596

post-3683-144023756901_thumb.jpg

post-3683-14402375691_thumb.jpg

post-3683-144023756917_thumb.jpg

Did it live in Sydney?

Cars get a hard life there, and the salt air from the coast does not help, on other hand, if she's been a country car all it's life, then the body metal should be quite sound.

It's easy to fix mechanical issues, not so easy to fix/replace body/trim/interior issues.

How long has it lived in Bright?

Umm, $4k is a lowballer offer, we have all seen granny spec cars gping from anywhere from $10k to $15k

It's been garaged all it's life, had a rebuild on the power train and has just generally been well looked after - it's going to be worth more than $4000.

Not to rain on your parade but I paid more than that for my old Z (which was in very mediocre condition) and that was in 2009.

Then again we just don't know until the pictures come through.

• Moderators

From looking at the photo's and assuming a closer inspection revealed no nasty surprises I would say $20K is closer to the mark. It is hard to be really sure without a detailed look, especially at the common rust areas.

I would imagine you will have no trouble selling.

Good luck

PB

• Administrators

Seriously if it doesn't have any structural rust and looks as good as the photos suggest I'd ask $24k and I wouldn't budge. Too many dreamers think a Z is worth nothing....

Hi Guys

I have a 240z since 1986, it was brought from Capital motors Sydney in 1971 by my brother inlaw, its been garaged all its life and i have had the motor ,gearbox & diff rebuilt in 2000 not to mention new rubbers, dash recovered ,all wheel bearings replaced windscreen and rubbers the body is in good nick but the spray job a bit rough,

what would be a fair price to ask for it?

regards

mick

When i did the motor and dash i had all the windows removed there was only a bit of surface rust under the rubbers ,  rust was found at the bottom of the front guards which i had cut out and at the end of the chaise rails under the seats which left small holes in the floor pan about 50mm dia where the dirt was able to build up i treated the rust with Phosphoric acid based paint and fish oil also left it open so i could keep an eye on it ,did the area around the battery with the same stuff. When i rebuilt the motor i found a small crack in the 5th cylinder head chamber which i had cut out and replaced with thicker section it appears this was a common problem.the motor was completely rebuilt new pistons rings crank grind new valves , seatsetc cost $3.5k in 2000 i have spent more on batterers than petrol lucky to have done 5k in the last 14 years

You struggle to find a 120y for $4000 these days.

If it was around the $10000 mark I'd be coming for a look.

If I was selling it and there were no hidden nasties I reckon I'd be advertising at around $30000 but it all comes down to how much you need to sell I guess.

A car like this is gold....fairly original complete condition with minimal rust, known history and evidently we'll cared for. As sure as night follows day, you will spend $30-40k, $500 at a time fixing up a clunker, or start with a solid car like this one? That's what I'd be doing if I wanted a 240 given that most of the donor cars that turn up are shagged.

lighten up fellas, when the post was up there were no pictures or anything so based on my risk assessment for an unseen, unknown car with some basic description I had come to a price of $4000  ;D

lol at all the people that hasn't even seen the car in person throwing figures of 20k etc.

vinh it's phil here, if you managed to get in contact with the guy let me know we go check it out

Looks like it might be an early girl too-do you know what the chassis no. is? noticed the twin choke levers

I noticed that too Alex but it has a later style steering wheel and the roof badges are the round type. Possibly just the centre console is from an early car...?

lighten up fellas, when the post was up there were no pictures or anything so based on my risk assessment for an unseen, unknown car with some basic description I had come to a price of $4000  ;D

I took it as a piss take. So don't get your knickers in a knot.

The car does look like a very good base, but requires an inspection before real offers/values can be thrown around.