• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 SacCyclone

SacCyclone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

We have been using this for several years after comparing several different rattle can variants to a couple of original paint cars. HWP102 Graphite. Seems to work well without too much gloss. 

39yvhOY.jpg

• gav240z and GongZ like this

#22 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, I still haven't had a chance to use a colour Spectrometer to check what value it spits out. So good to know Dupli-color has something close. Good news is we get Dupli-Color products here.

• SacCyclone likes this

#23 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:04 PM

A topcoat of matte or satin clear might solve the gloss issue too.

Edited by GongZ, 16 April 2016 - 11:40 AM.

• SacCyclone likes this

#24 ilbert

ilbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hi All, getting my tail light surround painted too, as part of a resto. It seems nailing down an actual product code isn't going to happen for the colour.
So, my painter has offered me to look at samples. Is there anyone in Melbourne, preferably eastern side, with an original rear garnish I could inspect and match / choose the closest match too?
Pm me if able to help.
Cheers.

#25 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:08 AM

Hi ilbert,

As Gavin said earlier in this topic, an original tail light surround with the factory paint will have discoloured by now (unless its an unused NOS item).

Most of the US 240Z owners use Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating - HWP102 (as mentioned above by SacCyclone) followed by a matte clear paint.
For the clear they use Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Paint - 1902 Matte Clear, but I am sure there would be other alternatives available locally.

If you want to use a compressor and spray gun, the best advice seems to be to follow the formula given in Wick Humble's book "How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car" (pp 174-175), which states;

"A good match for the original paint is Ditzler Duracryl DDL 2862 Argent with quite a bit of suede additive.
The formula is:
1 pint DDL
200 units DX265
300 units DX264
Thin 100-150% and spray on fairly dry. Regulate air pressure to the high side.
Swirl paint around in the cup constantly to help keep texture additives in suspension. 
Maintain spray gun distance and overlap coverage on the final coat, or variations in surface texture may be unacceptable.
This paint should have no gloss, so don't expect any!
Unmask trim as soon as paint has had a few minutes to flash up."
( Your painter should understand this - I don't  :o - eg. what volume of paint is a 'unit'? )

Most also agree that the same colour (and matte finish) was used on the grille and hubcaps.

References

#26 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

Yeah the general consensus is that the paint colour isn't going to be easy to match when looking at parts that are now 45+ years old and expecting the paint to look like it did from factory.

Have a look at the post I made here:

http://www.viczcar.c...oject/?p=175177

Check out the difference in colour between the rear garnish set and the hubcaps.

IMG_20160327_181244.jpg

Nevermind the socks! I just got home from a long flight and didn't want to wear shoes anymore when I took the photo. :). However I believe the rear garnish is closer to the 'correct' colour. But generally speaking I'd eye ball it and maybe test a few different options to see which you like most.

#27 ilbert

ilbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the help all,   I have wick humbles book, thought  - great here's the answer -  But my painter politely laughed at me !   I think i'll go the duplicolour with clear over - the painter seems happy with this approach.

#28 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

"A good match for the original paint is Ditzler Duracryl DDL 2862 Argent with quite a bit of suede additive.

The formula is:
1 pint DDL
200 units DX265
300 units DX264
Thin 100-150% and spray on fairly dry. Regulate air pressure to the high side.
Swirl paint around in the cup constantly to help keep texture additives in suspension. 
Maintain spray gun distance and overlap coverage on the final coat, or variations in surface texture may be unacceptable.
This paint should have no gloss, so don't expect any!
Unmask trim as soon as paint has had a few minutes to flash up."
( Your painter should understand this - I don't  :o - eg. what volume of paint is a 'unit'? )

I have wick humbles book, thought  - great here's the answer -  But my painter politely laughed at me !  

It probably made sense at the time he wrote it but I don't understand any of it either. I suspect that's why your painter was laughing also.

#29 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

Pics of my garnish, which is in pristine untouched condition. Colour on my hubcaps is identical.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpeg

#30 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:40 AM

Pics of my garnish, which is in pristine untouched condition. Colour on my hubcaps is identical.

I suspect on Silver cars, the rear garnish panel colour was changed to offset against the Silver body paint...just something I've observed because it appears on Silver cars it's a darker almost black colour.

My 73 240z was pretty original, not really messed with. Just missing the OEM Hitachi Radio. Photo attached.
Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 10.39.22 AM.png

#31 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

I suspect on Silver cars, the rear garnish panel colour was changed to offset against the Silver body paint...just something I've observed because it appears on Silver cars it's a darker almost black colour.

That would not suprise me, it is what is usually done today with decals.
One colour for dark cars and a darker one for lighter coloured cars.

#32 specialp3

specialp3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hi Gav,

Not sure if you are still looking for the paint.

If anybody is in contact with Adam Fairfax (brown hornet), I gave his painter a tin of paint that was perfect colour match. Never got it back. Maybe it still exists.

I have a set of NOS rear tail light panels and the back is a red oxide paint and the grey is matt with a metallic grain. I will add a photo over the weekend.

When I gave the paint to Adam I asked that the painter spray a swatch card so I could let other people restoring 240's use the swatch to match.

The grille, hubcaps and rear panel should be the same colour.

I have attached a photo of a new grille that shoes the matt finish.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04616.JPG

• gav240z likes this

#33 ilbert

ilbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I have sprayed mine the duplicolor graphite 102. Looks good, but admittedly I don't have anything other than pictures to compare. I'll put some pics up next week.

#34 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

Hi Gav,

Not sure if you are still looking for the paint.

If anybody is in contact with Adam Fairfax (brown hornet), I gave his painter a tin of paint that was perfect colour match. Never got it back. Maybe it still exists.

Sent him an email said he would look for it and let me know.

#35 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

I have a set of NOS rear tail light panels and the back is a red oxide paint and the grey is matt with a metallic grain. I will add a photo over the .

Yep, same deal, when I had my tail light panel off It had that reddish paint for reasons unknown. It also had a white sticker on the back also...dont ask me to take a pic !
Thread sideline.......
Hows your zed coming along ? I recall having a good chat to you at the Goulbourn Nationals a while back ( I parked mine next to yours )

#36 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

Yep, same deal, when I had my tail light panel off It had that reddish paint for reasons unknown. It also had a white sticker on the back also...dont ask me to take a pic !

Not the best example but yes the redish tinge is definitely stock..seen it on quite a few.
nkbr2295-img600x450-1465283389lrd6jc24486.jpg

#37 GK510

GK510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Tagline:On the never ending quest that is Datsun ownership

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:29 PM

I gave my tail light surrounds a hit with some of the Duplicolor HWP102 yesterday. See pics below. It looks good to me, but I'm not as anal as some in regards to originality and I don't have anything to compare it with. I haven't used any sort of clear over the top. My car is also a darker shade than the original 907 green, it's not low light, so this should be a fairly good representation of the colour.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
  • gav240z likes this

#38 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

Looks really good, much nicer than before. Looks like it was black before?

image.jpg3_zpsjrqklkfk.jpg

#39 GK510

GK510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Tagline:On the never ending quest that is Datsun ownership

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

They were black originally. Then I painted them with a metallic grey, which was actually a Toyota colour from the Duplicolor range, but that ended up looking blue rather than grey. Looks much better now I reckon. They are actually different surrounds than the ones in that earlier photo. Those ones were pretty rough and didn't have the trim around the tail light holes, so that also helps with them looking better now.

#40 ilbert

ilbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Colour and whole looks great. Noticed the deck 240z badge is angled- is that a series 1 thing or a personal touch? Where did you find the hole trims, I'm hunting a pair.
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users