Complete New Wiring Looms???

MATTY

Hey guys

ive done some searching but i can seem to find any one that does replacement wiring harness's. as ive had to sort out a few electrical problems i think to make it easier in future if a complete new loom and indicator/light storks were fitted. appart from getting a auto lecky to rewire the whole car thats all i could thing of.

any help would be muchy appreicated

cheers

Matty

Pleasure.

Visited my local electrician today for an unrelated matter and struck up a conversation about rewiring old cars etc. I brought up the cost I was quoted and was told to take it up as it's cheap. Just the labour component would be way more if he had to do it.

Gday Matty, I had my 240Z loom reconditioned by Classic Wiring Looms about 10 years ago. They are in Vic and did a fantastic job on my loom. All wires are checked, terminals soldered, had relays fitted for starter and headlights and immobiliser fitted. I also had a tach relay fitted for fuel pump [safety]. The loom was completely rebound. The loom was plug and play and has never given any trouble. The cost was very reasonable considering the work involved and its not very hard to R and R the loom yourself. This my be an option to a new loom.

James

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

A guy came into my work the other day from "Retro Looms". He does wiring for new truck / ute bodies for Cooks Body Works. Asked him about looms for a zed out of curiosity and he said it was possible. Might be worth giving them a call?

• Administrators

You must be giving them one that they will make a template for future looms.

I thought about that also, the loom on HS30 00150 is pretty original from what I've seen so far, so would make for a good template for a 1970 model S30z AU market.

You must be giving them one that they will make a template for future looms.

I sent my loom in late last year. They said they had done one in the past but couldn't recall if it was early or late. The reassuring thing for me was that they were aware there was a difference and they did ask for my loom to use as a template. They have also assured me they will replace the date tag. All dealings so far point to an understanding and knowledgeable (of customer needs at least) business.

There has been an unusually long delay as they needed to source some info and I told them I wasn't in a rush anyway. I've also been told that they have just completed another 240Z harness. I didn't ask what year that was.

Are all the connectors they use the same as original? Would have thought the connectors would be hard to get.

Cheers

240Z connectors have some generic bits... Later 260z looms would be harder to source connectors.

Are all the connectors they use the same as original? Would have thought the connectors would be hard to get.

Cheers

I did ask that question and they were confident everything could be sourced. If not, they would clean up the old ones.

• Administrators

I think you can still source various connectors etc.. For vintage cars. I looked at JayCar and they had some standard plug types like the white ones you see in various areas of the s30z, the only tricky ones I think would be the tail light loom globe holders etc.. But I'm sure with a bit of research you could find these.. What I'm saying is that I think a lot of these connectors were standard in the day not special to the s30 only.

Hey guys, stumbled across this and am watching with interest as the loom in my 2+2 seems to be pretty cactus. On a side not to this as I'm considering all options has anyone here used one of the painless wiring kits at all?

I know a few guys have run EZ Wiring Harness over on Hybridz. I'm looking at doing my whole 2+2 as well and was thinking of going the EZ harness but still looking for other options

I had seen quite a few recommendations for the EZ wiring harness. I know after doing some research there was something that steered me towards the painless branded wiring kit which I also found was available through a store in NSW for a decent price. But like you an still looking at all options

• 2 months later...

Hi George,

Have you received the loom back yet?

Not yet. Haven't chased it as I won't be needing it for a while. There was a delay with finding an early loom schematic but they do have one now. Should be done very soon.

They did finish a '72 or a '73 one recently as well.

• 7 months later...