Bathurst 1975

dat2kman

The John Roxburgh Datsun that Doug Whiteford and Geoff Perry raced in the 1975 Hardie Ferodo 1000 at Mount Panorama, Bathurst. They qualified a disappointing P42 after a very promising race at the Sandown 500. The car lasted all of 3 laps with a burst heater hose causing the car to overheat.

In '75 they had to run stock diameters, but could be up to a certain width, depending on engine capacity.

Could be optical, as the original image is a paper photograph.

If, and it is a big if, CAMS and the Historic Commission, decide to extend the current cut-off date, for Historic Group N touring cars, currently Dec 1972, to be in line with Historic Group S sports cars, currently Dec 1976, then, a 260Z 2+2 ( only) will be elegible for Group N Touring cars, as the above evidence shows, they actually participated in races, back in the day, which is the requirement for Group N.

The Z would get the following freedoms, as per all Group N cars.

Triple Webers,

Alloy radiator,

Electronic ignition,

7" wide rims ( but only a 60% aspect semi slick tyre)

Vented disc rotors on front, must be same diam as stock, four piston calipers.

Negative camber maximum f 5 degrees.

2.6 litre engine, stock stroke, 1.5mm overbore.

Close ratio gearbox, LSD diff, oil coolers..

It'd go alright up against the Torrie XU1's !

• Administrators

It'd go alright up against the Torrie XU1's !

I always wondered how they would go up against the Torana's. With the bigger 3.3L Holden (Red motor?) how do you think the Z would compare?

Peter note there is no safety guard rail , unless u think 10 gauge wire is going to stop you. If I remember correctly , at the end of conrod a fence strainer post lent in towards the track

Not really much need for a barrier on the inside of the track at that point, except to stop cattle and roos roaming onto the track..

If you couldn't stop at Murrays Corner at the end of Conrod Straight you had the choice of taking the escape road up to Bathurst or turning in and risking an impact with the railway sleeper fence.

I always wondered how they would go up against the Torana's. With the bigger 3.3L Holden (Red motor?) how do you think the Z would compare?

Are you talking about a Torana off the showroom floor or a Torana prepared by 'The Fox', Harry Firth?

• Administrators

Are you talking about a Torana off the showroom floor or a Torana prepared by 'The Fox', Harry Firth?

The Harry Firth car had a v8 right? So no I'm talking about the XU-1 with the Straight 6 and Triple Stromberg Carbs.

Ya kiddin!

Pushrod engine, cart rear axle, a arm front end, nose heavy, vs independant strut front and rear, OHC engine , better aero.

No brainer!

The even more stock Group S 260Z's, are as quick, if not quicker, on lap and overall race times than the great majority of the up specced Gp N XU1's

They'd be in the 2000-3000 cc capacity class, against the V6 Capri's.

Oops, the value of the 2+2's has just now shot up!

Everyone start stockpiling them !

• Administrators

I've only ever driven a mates VC Commodore which had the same motor I believe (Holden Red or Blue Block?) I was not impressed, it felt slow to rev and really disappointing to drive compared with the L-series, but then again it could have been the camshaft profile designed for low end torque in a sedan? But it just felt heavy and very primitive.

I would have thought the larger displacement would help somewhat though?

A few years back now, when I got my 260z 2+2 (w/L28) I had a full car with 4 mates in it. We pulled up a set of lights and there was a fella in an LJ Torana - when the lights changed we had a bit of a drag race, the Z won - quite convincingly too, even with that extra weight in it. Still makes me laugh to think about it. Of course who knows what tune his car was in, but mine was far from perfect also. So a fair comparison in my book.

It would be funny to see 260z 2+2's become desirable for racing. Very underrated I've always felt.

There was also a 240K Coupe in the 75 Bathurst race was there not?