#21 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

they dont have the 3W's stamped into them

Aren't these raised off the surface, so therefore part of the tool? Would likely have to see a part without powdercoat on it to see if there's a witness line from an insert.

Most companies don't let their logo's simply be an insert in the tool to try to prevent the same factory from using their tools to make knockoffs - there is ofcourse very little that can be done to stop them machining complete copy tools other than hoping they dont want to invest the money to do so.

#22 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

First off i was supporting the whole cheap wheel thing, saying that I had cheap wheels and they were OK, against what everyone was saying, supporting your side of the argument. And Rotas are cheap for the record they are $250 a wheel.

After spending all this time fixing the rust in your car, you would think it's a good idea to risk the car (not to mention yourself) on $360 worth of wheels?

To be fair, they're not $360 wheels, they're $360+400=$760 worth of wheels. The $250 a wheel Rota's didn't travel here for free.

Having been a bit involved in racing, and rallying, there are most definately some rim designs/styles, that have shown up to be not up to the demands of motorspirt.
The thin spindly minimal number of centre hub spoke attachment points to the outer rim, type style, are an issue, be it genuine made, or non genuine.
The great majority of the rims made today, are made in China, or other near Asian countries.
This is so due to the low costs to do so, in comparison to manufacturing costs elsewhere, japan is no longer the "cheap" country, hasn't been for decades.

The same Chinese based factory will, in most instances make the same rim, but with different branding markings to differentiate between the "cheap" ones and the genuine branded ones.
Quite often, it is the cardboard box,, that is genuine branded. The rims inside are all the same.

Look for load rating stampings, ( not a paper peel off sticker), and the various Standards Approvals stampings.

I have three sets of brand new knock ff Watanabe R Types, cheap, the difference is, they dont have the 3W's stamped into them, and the box is plain cardboard.
The same factory makes them with the 3W's stamp, and puts them into a branded box.
The rest of the manufacturing/standards stampings, are the same, including load rating, of 650kg
( higher than the Australian made Superlight at 550kg !)

That's a very good point in regards to the design of the rims/spokes making it more prone to failing. I love the look of these wheels (on a Holden, not a zed!):

Posted Image

but it looks like it wouldn't take a hit well.

In regards to your "knock-off"watanbes, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure watanabes are made in Japan (Ben, confirm?), not China so I question your claim that they are made in the same factory. Or are you just saying that they are made in the same factory as the full BS fake watanabes with the three bird symbol?

Another question is why not just buy Rota RKR's if you wanted the watanabe type R look? Rota has a legitimate presence in Australia and an avenue should anything go wrong. I suppose if the size you need isn't available in Rota's.

Also, if you are racing with these wheels without any issues, that's good enough for me !

#23 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

That Holden? rim pictured above, looks to have good web support at the rear of each spoke, going back towards rim centre, may not be everyones cup of tea!
The DriftTek ? tE37? Five spoke only wheel, has very little "meat" where the spokes connect to the rim outer.
These get a hit, and they snap ff, leaving a fully inflated tyre on a rim, with no centrecheap ones? genuine ones? who knows?
The proper Watanabe rim dies are two piece, with the recessed bit, to give a finished rim a raised /embossed stamp.
I have some proper ones, and some knock ff ones, the web/wall thickness of the knock offs is thicker all around, with better spoke to rim webbed supports in behind spokes.
More than happy to race on both, and I do.

I also had some 8.2 kg SupaLites ( Supa Heavies !!) hub face back plunge cutted, and inner rim faces machined, in order to pull weight out, using a very well known wheel machine shop, got them down to 7.4 kilograms, and race on these.
The heaviest car they get used on is 1126kg

#24 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

To be fair, they're not $360 wheels, they're $360+400=$760 worth of wheels. The $250 a wheel Rota's didn't travel here for free.

But that's my point, because there is an Aus distributor who buys container loads of Rotas, most of the cost of them won't be freight. They also have an Australian company you can go to for warranty claims and is held accountable by Australian law...

#25 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm sure the price I'm paying is similar to what Rota would pay (minus a bit of shipping and bulk discount). They just have the storefront and the Australian warranty and all.
Yes some rims I look at and think it's amazing that they can hold all that weight. I am not too worried with the TE37 design. It has some fairly thick spokes. I'd love to get a
set of Rota's, unfortunately they don't make any 16x9" rims :(

#26 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

But that's my point, because there is an Aus distributor who buys container loads of Rotas, most of the cost of them won't be freight. They also have an Australian company you can go to for warranty claims and is held accountable by Australian law...

Yep, have to agree with you there. If I could get a similar wheel already landed in Australia with customer service, I would be prepared to pay a little more.

#27 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

I have to admit when I bought my rotas  3 years ago from Ottomoto, I found the quality was of a high standard. Made in Thailand (not China).

#28 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have to admit when I bought my rotas  3 years ago from Ottomoto, I found the quality was of a high standard. Made in Thailand (not China).

Thailand build quality is noticeably different to China (well for cars anyway)

Toyota Hilux - built in Thailand
Great Wall V240 - built in China.

#29 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Z Fan

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

My Rotas have also been great. But the sales guy told me they were from the Phillipines.

#30 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,612 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

Looks like the same style of wheel?
Posted Image

I think that's Ben from Otomoto's old car with 1JZ.

#31 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

Yup that's the style! And looks bloody fantastic on that z!

#32 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Seen plenty of instances of that "style/design" rim, completely snapping off where spokes meet rim.
On cars used in certain forms of "competition"
It is only when a wheel, or wheels are dropped off edge of a track, or over or into concrete kerbing, with impact involved.

#33 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

To stop all this interweb conjecture and posturing and worrying about whether my wheels will explode when I bolt them to the car, just go out and buy a set of Enkeis, the last set I bought new I got change out of $1,000 delivered to my door.

So you pay an extra $250 to get a real made in Japan wheel that whilst not quite as cool as Watanabes are still pretty cool.......

#34 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

To stop all this interweb conjecture and posturing and worrying about whether my wheels will explode when I bolt them to the car, just go out and buy a set of Enkeis, the last set I bought new I got change out of $1,000 delivered to my door.

So you pay an extra $250 to get a real made in Japan wheel that whilst not quite as cool as Watanabes are still pretty cool.......

Where's the "like" button?

#35 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Don't be a jerk Matt, that kind of sense will get you no where.

#36 Scottz

Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

I've been away for a while and just found this topic and although a month gone, still worth a comment.

I bought Rotas a few years ago.
When I spun them on a balancer they were not good. Lucky I bought enough rims I was able to pick out the best to make a set. The worst rim needed 80g to balance. I have seen cars on the street with more weights than that, but for me a brand new rim should spin true and balanced.

I contacted Rota in Perth and they said "those rims are not ours". So yes - like Gav said, sometimes things are not real and all that glitters is not gold. But just because Rota Perth say 'not ours', does that mean they are not Rotas? But they are Rotas. Perth is the import agent, not the point of manufacturer. If you look up 'Rota Australia' website today the contact number is (07) Qld. Ask them any questions and they will tell you....As part of our ordering process we ask our customers to supply us with details on their car. This means that whenever an order is placed we are able to check that the correct part is delivered. Therefore if you order a set of alloy wheels we can check with our supplier that they will fit your registered car..........We source all of our wheels from Rota Wheels and do not hold physical stock of any wheels. All orders are shipped from Rota Wheels Australia, directly to yourself.
Note the bold text.....They are just a retailer and not top dog. Actually they are distributors for the Australian distributor. There are many hands to feed along the way from point of manufacturer to end user, this naturally affects the price, so I would not be surprised if some Rotas in country arrived via a different and cheaper route.

I contacted the seller in Sydney, who offered a refund, but I had to pay freight to send them back.
Now the Rotas I kept are great, no doubt, so how is it that the others were so bad?
QUALITY ASSURANCE & QUALITY CONTROL.
You might get a bad one but does that mean they are all bad? Not necessarily. And maybe you are just extra fussy (like me) and don't accept what others will.
So, wether you buy expensive or cheap, be sure and get a warranty and gaurantee that if you are not satisfied you can get your money back.

Rota Australia legal gaf here: http://www.rotawheels.com.au/legal
Check out Replica Rotas here: http://www.alibaba.c...-suppliers.html
Official Rota website - Philippine Aluminum Wheels, Inc. (PAWI).: http://www.rotawheels.com/contact.php
Find the only Australian Distributor listed is:
Vision R / Rota Wheels Australia
Unit 3/18 Hines Rd, O’Connor, Perth, Western Australia 6163
Phone: +61 (08) 9314 3444
Fax: +61 (08) 9331 3480
E-mail: sales[at]rotawheels.com.au

And Rota Wheels Australia lists its distributors and agents within Australia, 2 of which are in Qld.
And 1 of the Qld distributors uses this web address (just to confuse you): http://www.rotaaustr.../contact_us.php

Later I bought wider Watanabes. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 41831_762b319fe025dd67d56fd557f8962dd5890b8f5b.jpg

#37 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

All 8 of mine balanced within 10grams and a couple required no weights at all. Did you balance them with or without tyres?

Note: mine came from Vision R in Perth

#38 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I had no problems with 16x8 RB-Rs from Otomoto.

#39 EVIL_denver

EVIL_denver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Ive had multiple sets of cheap wheels and expensive wheels. The ones pictured below on my old mx5 were called xxr 527. 16x8.25 +0 offset and cost $350 usd brand new. Shipping was $150usd. Didnt have any troubles and needed bugger all counter weights. They were also very very light...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users