Cheap Chinese replica rims.

DreamZproject

But that's my point, because there is an Aus distributor who buys container loads of Rotas, most of the cost of them won't be freight. They also have an Australian company you can go to for warranty claims and is held accountable by Australian law...

Yep, have to agree with you there. If I could get a similar wheel already landed in Australia with customer service, I would be prepared to pay a little more.

• Moderators

I have to admit when I bought my rotas  3 years ago from Ottomoto, I found the quality was of a high standard. Made in Thailand (not China).

Thailand build quality is noticeably different to China (well for cars anyway)

Toyota Hilux - built in Thailand

Great Wall V240 - built in China.

Seen plenty of instances of that "style/design" rim, completely snapping off where spokes meet rim.

On cars used in certain forms of "competition"

It is only when a wheel, or wheels are dropped off edge of a track, or over or into concrete kerbing, with impact involved.

To stop all this interweb conjecture and posturing and worrying about whether my wheels will explode when I bolt them to the car, just go out and buy a set of Enkeis, the last set I bought new I got change out of $1,000 delivered to my door.

So you pay an extra $250 to get a real made in Japan wheel that whilst not quite as cool as Watanabes are still pretty cool.......

• Moderators

To stop all this interweb conjecture and posturing and worrying about whether my wheels will explode when I bolt them to the car, just go out and buy a set of Enkeis, the last set I bought new I got change out of $1,000 delivered to my door.

So you pay an extra $250 to get a real made in Japan wheel that whilst not quite as cool as Watanabes are still pretty cool.......

Where's the "like" button?

Don't be a jerk Matt, that kind of sense will get you no where.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been away for a while and just found this topic and although a month gone, still worth a comment.

I bought Rotas a few years ago.

When I spun them on a balancer they were not good. Lucky I bought enough rims I was able to pick out the best to make a set. The worst rim needed 80g to balance. I have seen cars on the street with more weights than that, but for me a brand new rim should spin true and balanced.

I contacted Rota in Perth and they said "those rims are not ours". So yes - like Gav said, sometimes things are not real and all that glitters is not gold. But just because Rota Perth say 'not ours', does that mean they are not Rotas? But they are Rotas. Perth is the import agent, not the point of manufacturer. If you look up 'Rota Australia' website today the contact number is (07) Qld. Ask them any questions and they will tell you....As part of our ordering process we ask our customers to supply us with details on their car. This means that whenever an order is placed we are able to check that the correct part is delivered. Therefore if you order a set of alloy wheels we can check with our supplier that they will fit your registered car..........We source all of our wheels from Rota Wheels and do not hold physical stock of any wheels. All orders are shipped from Rota Wheels Australia, directly to yourself.

Note the bold text.....They are just a retailer and not top dog. Actually they are distributors for the Australian distributor. There are many hands to feed along the way from point of manufacturer to end user, this naturally affects the price, so I would not be surprised if some Rotas in country arrived via a different and cheaper route.

I contacted the seller in Sydney, who offered a refund, but I had to pay freight to send them back.

Now the Rotas I kept are great, no doubt, so how is it that the others were so bad?

QUALITY ASSURANCE & QUALITY CONTROL.

You might get a bad one but does that mean they are all bad? Not necessarily. And maybe you are just extra fussy (like me) and don't accept what others will.

So, wether you buy expensive or cheap, be sure and get a warranty and gaurantee that if you are not satisfied you can get your money back.

Rota Australia legal gaf here: http://www.rotawheels.com.au/legal

Check out Replica Rotas here: http://www.alibaba.com/wheel-rota-suppliers.html

Official Rota website - Philippine Aluminum Wheels, Inc. (PAWI).: http://www.rotawheels.com/contact.php

Find the only Australian Distributor listed is:

Vision R / Rota Wheels Australia

Unit 3/18 Hines Rd, O’Connor, Perth, Western Australia 6163

Phone: +61 (08) 9314 3444

Fax: +61 (08) 9331 3480

E-mail: sales[at]rotawheels.com.au

And Rota Wheels Australia lists its distributors and agents within Australia, 2 of which are in Qld.

And 1 of the Qld distributors uses this web address (just to confuse you): http://www.rotaaustralia.com.au/contact_us.php

Later I bought wider Watanabes. :)

post-2007-144023756108_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ive had multiple sets of cheap wheels and expensive wheels. The ones pictured below on my old mx5 were called xxr 527. 16x8.25 +0 offset and cost $350 usd brand new. Shipping was $150usd. Didnt have any troubles and needed bugger all counter weights. They were also very very light...

2hfnk1l.jpg