4 replies to this topic

#1 RB26DETT

RB26DETT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Ok gents, so I am going over things to start the engine on #727 which I picked up not too long ago. Engine is an L24 with E31 head, has been sitting not running for some time.

I have changed the oil and oil filter, now with the valve cover off and plugs out I am cranking the engine over, should I be seeing oil coming out of the cam oil spray bar at cranking speed or is this not sufficient to get the oil pressure to get oil flowing out of the bar?

I have also taken the bar itself off to see if it was blocked but no oil comes out of the cam towers where it bolts onto either at cracking speed.

Thanks Cuong

#2 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Not sure m8 but I would think If you had taken the plugs out and removed leads and dissy cap to prevent fire hazard you should have oil up top. I did. 8)

#3 RB26DETT

RB26DETT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for your reply Peter, when I ran the engine there was evidence of oil coming out so it's all good. Not actually sure if oil comes out just at cracking speed only.

#4 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Under crank there should be oil pressure; keep an eye on the pressure gauge and there should be movement. If not, you'll have to prime the oil pump and make sure.
When I installed an RB25 that wasn't used for years, I was told "she'll be right..the oil pressure will come up once it started" if I listened to that advice, I would have had to buy another motor. I used some compressed air while cranking and that got the oil pumping.

#5 RB26DETT

RB26DETT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Dimitri, I'll have a look at the oil pressure gauge next time I start it up, good advice, the motor has been sitting for a long time so maybe the oil pump does need to be primed again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users