What to have plated?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,665 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hi Mick
I have been thinking about geting a media blasting cabinet, have you been happy with yours ?

+1 I've been thinking about it also.

#22 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Me three. Keen to hear your thoughts on the cabinet Mick. What is the size limit?

#23 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Listen here you Gen Ys, I know he who dies with the most toys wins, but, consider how much use you will really have for a media blast cabinet against the initial cost, including media, the space it will take up and object size limitations, the mess, etc etc. Compare all these against the cost of paying to have it done on an 'as needs' basis.

A wire brush and elbow grease can achieve 85% of what you will need done.

Here is my set up!

Attached Thumbnails

• 41950_9905d3fa555a51a46a841e8abcb2fec53cb48cd3.jpg

#24 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

That's ghetto Peter. I love it. I picked up a Sher Shopmate, (all you old DIY'ers ought to know what that is) which has a fantastic 50+ year old drill and still going strong. Need to restore the 'table saw'.

Posted Image

I've got a bench grinder converted to a buffing machine which ought to do most of what I need.

On the media blaster, found this old thread from Mick: http://www.viczcar.c...p?topic=12916.0

#25 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hahaha. Peter you're a cracker.
I have used the cabinet a lot over the last couple years and am glad I have it.
It does take up a lot of room which is a bit of a hassle but worth it in my opinion.
George good find on that thread, as I mentioned I started with Supercheap media, it was slow to use and messy. On recommendations for that thread I got some garnet which was much more effective and no mess. Much better.
The other issue I had was the filter of the cabinet blocks very easily, I ended up removing the filter and plugging my vacuum on in place of the filter. Again massive improvement, the vac keeps the dust down in the cabinet so you can see what's going on.
I have to replace the plastic on the viewing window every couple hours of use but that's cheap and easy.
It's a bit like having a ute, once your mates know you have one......
Your welcome to come round and give it a run if you like, just drop me a pm.

Internal dimensions are about 700x500x400 at a guess, (just too small to fit the original 240z fuel rail in.) I'm sure you could find the dimensions on the Supercheap website.

Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users