Photo

Going to Lakeside tomorrow - hard or soft suspension setting?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like a plan. I have all my new brakes fitted and bedded in, just need sticky tyres and a diff mount now and i can get out there. Should be able to manage that over the next couple of weeks.

#22 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Z Fan

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

just need sticky tyres and a diff mount now

If you are stuck I have a spare diff mount and strap you can take off my hands. I bought new items from the Z store when I had my diff installed and the ones they removed were in perfect working order.

#23 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Slucks?
I'd suggest you do the learn to crawl for a bit, then how to walk, before you run like hell.
Use the tyres you already have, that way you will have better "feel" through your bottom, and your hands, as the car starts getting close to the regular tyres limits.

Slick tyres are a whole different ball game, massive grip, very sensitive to pressures, heat input requirements.

#24 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

If you are stuck I have a spare diff mount and strap you can take off my hands. I bought new items from the Z store when I had my diff installed and the ones they removed were in perfect working order.

he is talking about his 350Z..
jakes s30 doesnt leave the garage' dont be silly ^_^

#25 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm not talking about slicks. The previous owner put tyres called "Ever Greens" on it which are great for going sideways in the hills...

I was just going to get some semis for it.

And thanks for the offer Grimslynsan, but Doug is right it's for my 350Z because my 240z doesnt leave the garage. It does however have an excellent diff mount.

#26 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Oh sorry you did say it was for a 350...

#27 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

No i didnt in that post, further back i did.

Either way i'm booked in, hopefully we can pit together as i don't know anyone there.

#28 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

woohoo another Z (even if it is a new one)  ;)

#29 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

pressure is on now...will the standard compression l26 start with the massive cam?

#30 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Man up and enter the event Doug. Get that shit done!

woohoo another Z (even if it is a new one)  ;)

It's just a fill in until my old zed is going again and then it looks like i might be selling it for a Mopar of some sort.

#31 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

Man up and enter the event Doug. Get that shiver done!

I spoke with my uncle this morning and mentioned there might be a few Z guys there and he suggested you get a wriggle on and register because it is filling up quickly. The link is posted in this thread a few posts back.

Lee

#32 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

I cant get the 13th off :(
and I wouldn't enter until I at least started my engine with the new cam..

#33 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

I cant get the 13th off :(
and I wouldn't enter until I at least started my engine with the new cam..

Yep, and always dubious to pull a sicky on a day for which you were previously denied leave... You'd have to take off the day before and half of the following week to make it look legit ;) On the bright side, this would give you time to get the cam set up!

#34 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I am so looking forward to tomorrow's run at Willowbank! They will be doing 3 circuits throughout the day, which is now fully subscribed. Racing will go to 5pm cause there are less complaining residents than at Lakeside so I have had to buy a jerry can so I can keep going.

It turns out the slicks I got had some cracks in the sidewalls and there were mixed opinions as to their usability. So I grabbed some second hand semis off my uncle and have put them on. They are 225s on 15x8s. The car looks so stupid with flares and tiny little wheels. The wheels are shorter too, by about 5cm so that should make me go faster :-)

They were very slippery to drive on when I had them fitted but apparently they have been sitting for a wee while.

Any last minute advice for this racetrack as compared to Willowbank? I watched a few youtube clips and it seems boring looking in comparison...

Lee

#35 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Dunno what your car is like but the long circuit can be hard on brakes. Other than that it's pretty well what you see is what you get, sprint circuit is fun although others prefer the clubman. What brand are the slicks, not Kumho are they?

#36 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

They are Dunlops. Apparently pretty good ones, $420+ per corner new apparently. Anyway they are only just down to the wear indicator but they were wrapped when I bought them and didn't unwrap them and check for cracking (didn't know to, I am a n00b). They guy I got them off said they were in good nick and I believed him, he was a nice guy. I'm pretty sure he thought they were OK and it would be news to him about the cracking also. Some people say cracking is normal, some say not. Of course no one wants to say "yeah sure bung em on" and then have me die in a horrible incident :-)

I'm not sure what I will do with them.

The semi-slicks I have on there now are mostly used also, they are Yokos I think.

#37 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

If they are warn to near the indicators they are probably cycled out anyway but if the cracks are only superficial then they should be safe, into the corded structural part then junk them.

#38 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

They are in my uncle's shed at the moment. I am sure these semis will wear down after tomorrow or maybe one more outing... we'll see. Then I'll be over to the shed reinspecting them or looking for more second hand stuff.

I don't mind too much about the cycling because I am not competitive. The only reason I am on slicks/semis is cause I want to preserve my road tyres from these little escapades.

Figure it will be cheaper in the long run.

That's also why I got the 15x8 wheels. General advice from members of this forum is that there is a wide variety of cheap/second hand stuff in 15" from those who are more competitive and put on new tyres every outing. This remains to be proven (or does it? I just got these 4 semis off my uncle for $150, but he's sorting me out).

Looks like it might rain tomorrow, so could be putting the road tyres back on anyway.

#39 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Unless you get them really cheap then used race tyres are not a good option I reckon. Tyre consistency is helpful in sorting the suspension out for a start and with proper use a new set will last quite a while. Looked at Achilles semis? They are cheap and seem is be good for the money.

#40 grimlynsan

grimlynsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

"Sorting out the suspension" is something I cannot do. I don't have any adjustable bits other than the damping. Plus I don't know what I'm doing.

I did take a look a them when I was weighing up options. But the consensus was that slicks are cheaper cause they don't have to conform to standards and are not road legal.

Remember I am going for cheapness over grippiness in a sense, as silly as that sounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users