17 replies to this topic

#1 Huw

Huw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Well, I have been putting this off for far too long now.
Minor leak in what I assume is heater core now no longer minor, need to remove and replace.  Ideally without takibg dash out. Does anyone have experience doing this in a 240?

Curious as to whether i can:
~slide it our driver side without removing while box; or
~ slide whole unit out passenger side or via centre console?

Suggestions appreciated.

Huw

#2 monkey

monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

i pulled mine out through the passenger side, pretty painless just need to remove the fan blower.

#3 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

You don't need to take the dash out. Remove the blower unit, disconnect or chop the hoses from RH side - time for new ones anyway; remove heater face plate to disconnect wiring/cables etc, & anything that gets in the way, & slide heater box out on LH side as per Monkey's advice above.

#4 Huw

Huw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Good to hear - someone had told me plate would come off and could remove with heater unit in situ - but looked like an expletive laden exercise....passenger side makes much more sense.

Hoses and tap are new so I will be gentle on them! 

#5 Huw

Huw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Well - finally got round to it - slid out easily...not looking forward to putting it back in but at least once it is fixed I can do the interior properly! (was too poor as a uni student (when it was first restored)).

Cheers for the help.
Huw

#6 240Z Guy

240Z Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi All,
I recently have pulled out the heater core on my 240 as the control valve was leaking and i wanted to check the state of the heater core, sure enough evidence of a minor leak.  The last time i got a heater core refurbished it was around $150 anyone know the rough cost it should be in the Perth region?
Nat Rad have loosely quoted me $250.
Also considering getting new heater core hoses, found a few on ebay in America going to end up been $75 delivered.  The hoses don't look too bad, anyone know how long they usually last?  I would say they have been replaced in the past as the heater core has been done previously.

#7 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

Hi All,
I recently have pulled out the heater core on my 240 as the control valve was leaking and i wanted to check the state of the heater core, sure enough evidence of a minor leak.  The last time i got a heater core refurbished it was around $150 anyone know the rough cost it should be in the Perth region?
Nat Rad have loosely quoted me $250.
Also considering getting new heater core hoses, found a few on ebay in America going to end up been $75 delivered.  The hoses don't look too bad, anyone know how long they usually last?  I would say they have been replaced in the past as the heater core has been done previously.

Unless you want to do it all again, replace the hoses even if they look ok. Who knows when they were last done?

My 72 240z has a minor leak from the heater tap, so I'm going to have to tackle this also. Not sure if RHD and LHD have different hose set ups? Might be worth checking, I assume they are the same between LH and RH drive cars.

In terms of pricing, if you have the part no's that will help. $75 isn't too bad (if includes delivery) but it will take at least 2 weeks shipping from the US unless you ask for express.

#8 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

I am using 240z heater hoses and heater tap purchased from Z car depot on eBay from USA and work fine on RHD cars. And for the elbow hose i just used a 45 degree bend that i cut off from another hose that i payed $5 for from supercheap auto. I also used high quality clamps and no leaks!

#9 phillay

phillay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:11 PM

I am using 240z heater hoses and heater tap purchased from Z car depot on eBay from USA and work fine on RHD cars. And for the elbow hose i just used a 45 degree bend that i cut off from another hose that i payed $5 for from supercheap auto. I also used high quality clamps and no leaks!

when you buy stuff from z car depot,  go to their website directly and email the guy, I think his name is ryan or something? he will give you a better discount on postage/items cause bypass ebay.

#10 240Z Guy

240Z Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info, funny i actually did buy a new heater control valve off ZCarDepot but Australia Post sent it back to USA claiming an incorrect address, although address was correct.  Ryan and myself still don't know where the hell it is.  Once i sort out the heater valve with Ryan then i might just buy the hoses and firewall gromits off him, i'll go direct instead of Ebay next time.
The hoses are the same between RHD and LHD just a couple of minor changes depending on the year of the car.

#11 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

Or you can use some regular heater hose & just loop it instead of the pre-moulded bent Z hose if it means keeping your car on the road meanwhile.

#12 my_mad_z

my_mad_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Tagline:Marc

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

Just got a quote to get my heater core done; $260 for a custom core. I was hoping I could get away with a repair but it has to have the core replaced... there's no longer a listing for them and we tried to find a similar sized core but no luck. Anyone else had any luck with heater core replacement for a series 1 240Z?

#13 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

I'm in the same boat up here in QLD. Recore is cheaper than buying a new one from MSA by nearly half.

#14 my_mad_z

my_mad_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

I'm in the same boat up here in QLD. Recore is cheaper than buying a new one from MSA by nearly half.

Agreed! The guy I went and saw here in Melbourne contacted someone in QLD for the custom core... I think I'm going to go ahead with it as there aren't many other options available. Will let you know the details once I get it back if you like.

#15 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

260 is a good price !!  Go with that.  I paid 390 for mine to be done

#16 my_mad_z

my_mad_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Picked up the new heater core today; very happy with the service and the price - $260 incl. Not sure if anyone needs a new core, they have received two cores by mistake. They'll need your end tanks to complete the heater core.

(03) 9459-5924
23 Orr St, West Heidelberg, Vic.

#17 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Does anyone know what a 240z heater core part no. is?

http://auctions.yaho...tion/v436535906

27115-N3100

Edit looks like this might be for a 260z.

http://webcache.goog...-DqilmQXuvqugDQ

#18 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:17 PM

The part number for the 240Z (up to July '73) heater core is 27115-E4400

- according to the "S30 - 240Z-260Z Parts Catalogue Microfiche" CD that I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users