• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Already rang the seller, awaiting some photos on interior. Anyone you know in QLD Gav that'd be willing to inspect the car on my behalf? I'm considering buying a plane ticket.

Gidday,

Flights are cheap, very cheap, he who hesitates...........

Good luck, hope it checks out OK

Cheers

PB

#22 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Gidday,

Flights are cheap, very cheap, he who hesitates...........

Good luck, hope it checks out OK
Cheers

PB

As Ledge said to me, it is only metal it can be fixed. Buying sight unseen worst case it is bent like a banana and very rusty. But at that price you could probably sell it on and loose a small amount of money.

It all comes down to your expectations but many cars like this don't hang around long for those on the fence. :)

#23 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Don't put too much pressure on the guy :P

There is some truth to what you say though, if you don't jump on a good deal someone else will and often very quickly. I lost out on a great deal with just a couple of hours of hesitation!

#24 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Don't put too much pressure on the guy :P

There is some truth to what you say though, if you don't jump on a good deal someone else will and often very quickly. I lost out on a great deal with just a couple of hours of hesitation!

Good point George, I hadn't looked at that way.
I was just suggesting that for the cost of a flight you will know what the car is like, rather than wonder was it the one that got away ?

#25 Foster

Foster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Waiting on sellers reply. From your Z car resto experience, what can you see needs to be done to get that car into registerable condition? And chassis rust sounds scary but is it an easy fix?

#26 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

From your Z car resto experience, what can you see needs to be done to get that car into registerable condition? And chassis rust sounds scary but is it an easy fix?

How long is a piece of string?

#27 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

In other words what Lurch is saying is that your question is very general and it's almost impossible to provide a specific answer. Photos can hide a lot of issues and we don't have any photos of the underside, or the most common rust areas, battery tray, chassis rails, floor pans, rockers, wheel arch, rear hatch slam panel, fuel filler area, lower front fender and behind it. Getting registered also means looking at bushes, suspension, brakes, motor (is it smokey etc..) - all of which cannot be tested from the comfort of our lounge. ;).

Basically you have to buy a 240z like this expecting to find rust in these common areas, unless it's been restored 'correctly' which many have not (bit of bog and she'll be right).

If you're not willing to fix these kind of issues, I'd suggest looking for a more complete example (which generally go for $20K + now). But even then there is no guarantee's (unless you see documented photographic evidence of repair process!).

Of course you might get lucky with this car and find it has minimal rust / body rot, but only way to know for sure is inspect, take lots of photos and ideally have it put on a hoist so you can see the underside of it.

If you can't go personally make sure whoever does is familiar with these cars and will give you a detailed report.

All the best.

#28 Foster

Foster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Bump bump, still looking fellas and have increased my budget. If anyone is selling or know avenues which may lead to a potential seller please let me know.
Cheers, Foster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users