#1 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyone is interested, but Ben from dapper is doing a group buy of the new V2 HID projector kits over at HybridZ. The cost reduction makes it worth while.
http://forums.hybrid...ctor-headlights

I know there is always debate about HID lights, but the low beam with cut-off shield really does make these a hugely different product from the HID bulbs in reflector housings.

#2 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

I put my name down for a set and the person organising the group buy told me if we ship 5 or 6 sets together postage would come to about $150 versus $80 postage for one pair.

Anyone else keen?

#3 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

I put my name down for a set and the person organising the group buy told me if we ship 5 or 6 sets together postage would come to about $150 versus $80 postage for one pair.

Anyone else keen?

Shipping 5 or 6 sets together would put the declared value at ~$3000 USD. You would end up paying at minimum another 20% on top for duty and import charges. I think you would be worse off.

#4 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Just get the declared value put at $900...

I know this might sound silly, but $300 for a pair of headlight glasses seems very expensive when you can get them off ebay for half the price. Is there any great advantage to these over the ebay ones performance wise?

#5 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

are you getting them with a RHD cutoff? also are they bi-xenons (ie remove the shield to get a high beam)? Either way you'll need a seperate halogen light to be able to 'flash' people.

personally i want a pair of lights out of a g55 but they cost too much, so will probably just stick with my e46 retrofitted HID projectors which you can just make out in my avatar pic.

#6 bens1088

bens1088

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hey guys,
Ben from Dapper Lighting. I frequent most of the Z forums and thought I'd chime in.

99% of the stuff on ebay is garbage. They are fake projectors and are extremely dangerous to put HID lighting into.

The bi-xenon V2 projectors that we're using exceed FMVSS108/DOT specifications and will give you clearer, stronger, and better cutoff light than OEM vehicles.

A good projector costs $120-150 so for kits to be selling for $99 with projectors and HIDs is a big red flag.

Let me know if you guys want more info and I'll dig up some photos of the comparison shots between the two.

Thanks!

Ben

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'd love to see the comparison photos Ben.

Also where do you guys stand on LED headlight bulbs? I figure if i get the current draw down nice and low i won't need to re-wire the headlights to have relays.

Also do you do one with a curved face so it looks like a sealed beam?

#8 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Ben, do you sell them with the RHD cutoff? This may be the excuse I need to upgrade to bi-xenons, as the projectors I used were too long to fit into the stock weatherproof housing, and are pretty close to hitting the wheel under full lock.

Here's a comparison photo of the stock sealed beams vs bmw hid's.
http://www.viczcar.c...ttach=288;image
You can hardly tell the sealed beams are on - i went through a booze bus with the headlights like this and got some weird looks from the officers but luckily no ticket.

There are a number of things HID's need in Australia to protect other drivers from being blinded (auto leveling and a washer jet) - however they all rely on them being aimed correctly which they hardly are anyway, and its a lot safer than driving around in the dark with sealed beams!

#9 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Anyone else keen?

Alex. I'm in!

#10 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hey guys,
Ben from Dapper Lighting. I frequent most of the Z forums and thought I'd chime in.

99% of the stuff on ebay is garbage. They are fake projectors and are extremely dangerous to put HID lighting into.

The bi-xenon V2 projectors that we're using exceed FMVSS108/DOT specifications and will give you clearer, stronger, and better cutoff light than OEM vehicles.

A good projector costs $120-150 so for kits to be selling for $99 with projectors and HIDs is a big red flag.

Let me know if you guys want more info and I'll dig up some photos of the comparison shots between the two.

Thanks!

Ben

Hi Ben,

I put my name on the group buy, but would be keen to know if we can get them in RHD Pattern.

Cheers

#11 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hi Ben,

I put my name on the group buy, but would be keen to know if we can get them in RHD Pattern.

Cheers

Wouldn't it be possible to just swap and install it left for right and right for left?

#12 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Wouldn't it be possible to just swap and install it left for right and right for left?

Nope, the cut of the light wont allow it.

For RHD vehicles, the light pattern cut looks like this, \__ \__

For LHD vehicles, the light pattern cut looks like this, __/ __/

Swapping them side for side wouldn't achieve anything.

#13 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Tai, if you have a HybridZ account PM him there and he will add you to the group buy. I was going to PM him tonight about RHD headlight pattern. While it doesn't fuss me too much I guess I might as well ask the question that everyone wants answered.

#14 bens1088

bens1088

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hey everyone! Sorry I went MIA for a few days. Here's some answers to your questions.

I'd love to see the comparison photos Ben.

Also where do you guys stand on LED headlight bulbs? I figure if i get the current draw down nice and low i won't need to re-wire the headlights to have relays.

Also do you do one with a curved face so it looks like a sealed beam?

I need to dig up some threads about these. I'll post back when I find them.

LED bulbs are great..... in the proper housing. If you try and run LED bulbs in a projector housing that is designed for HIDs or halogens, you'll get awful light output. We carry high power LED bulbs for foglights/high beams but not for main beams. Your only solution would be Trucklites or JWSpeaker.

These all have curved glass lenses if that's what you mean?

Ben, do you sell them with the RHD cutoff? This may be the excuse I need to upgrade to bi-xenons, as the projectors I used were too long to fit into the stock weatherproof housing, and are pretty close to hitting the wheel under full lock.

Here's a comparison photo of the stock sealed beams vs bmw hid's.
http://www.viczcar.c...ttach=288;image
You can hardly tell the sealed beams are on - i went through a booze bus with the headlights like this and got some weird looks from the officers but luckily no ticket.

There are a number of things HID's need in Australia to protect other drivers from being blinded (auto leveling and a washer jet) - however they all rely on them being aimed correctly which they hardly are anyway, and its a lot safer than driving around in the dark with sealed beams!

If we can get 8 orders, I can make a small batch of them.

Hi Ben,

Cheers

I will start a RHD list.

#15 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

So we are talking $380 USD delivered or do they have to go via melbourne first?

#16 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

It'd be too obvious running LHD cutoffs over here, high chance of being defected or worse - potentially causing an accident.

Even when going around a long left hander on a poorly lit road with LHD HID's it's quite common for cars who are in the beam to start flashing you to "turn off the highbeams".

Do any of your kits have electronic height adjustment?

Because of how sharp the cutoff is you start to realise why from the factory the cars have to come with auto leveling - the difference in projection angle that occurs between a full and empty tank of petrol is amazing! I just lined them up with a full tank and someone sitting in the car, but it meant the lights weren't shinning as far as they could have otherwise. My s15 had a dial to adjust the height which was handy...

#17 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Not sure about oz but I believe here in NZ it is illegal to install hid lights into a car that was not factory fitted with hid lights. So I would check with your local authorities before putting your name or a deposit down.

#18 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Not sure about oz but I believe here in NZ it is illegal to install hid lights into a car that was not factory fitted with hid lights. So I would check with your local authorities before putting your name or a deposit down.

True. Auto level and washers are required. But I suspect most people know this but don't care. I dabbled with HID's on my daily which has H3 globes in a projector. It had manual level not auto but no washers of course. And because I put the HID globe in a projector designed for H3 halogen, the light was sprayed all over the place and dangerous. Took them straight out.

#19 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

HID's in a projector or reflector not designed for them are the worst and I'm surprised aren't defected more as are highly dangerous. A RHD cutoff in a LHD country would be even worse.

I feel retrofitted HID projectors (what these effectively are) fit into the same category as wide wheels - they shouldn't effect anyone else if done right, and at least in the case of the headlights they provide some additional safety for the driver due to actually being able to see at night!

#20 bens1088

bens1088

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Unfortunately none of our units have auto height adjustors. You can also run our kits with halogen bulbs and still have a significant improvement over stock light output.

We can make a special order for RHD. We just need to make a minimum amount. Usually 5-8 kits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users