#1 Herbonius

Herbonius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Posted this in another thread but reposting for visibility.

I've completed the manual conversion on my car but I need an inner shift boot (the rubber that goes under the vinyl shift boot) as I'm not enjoying all the heat and fumes that comes up through the hole.

As I had to make the transmission hole a bit larger to fit the new gearbox, I'm assuming that the stock inner shift boot wont fit. Has anyone got any recommendations for a replacement part?

#2 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Posted this in another thread but reposting for visibility.

I've completed the manual conversion on my car but I need an inner shift boot (the rubber that goes under the vinyl shift boot) as I'm not enjoying all the heat and fumes that comes up through the hole.

Have you re-fitted the centre console to see if the gearstick fouls when selecting 1st, 3rd, 5th?

As I had to make the transmission hole a bit larger to fit the new gearbox, I'm assuming that the stock inner shift boot wont fit. Has anyone got any recommendations for a replacement part?

What gearbox did you install? I put a r31 skyline box in my 260z 2 seater and only had to take less than 1cm from the front of tunnel but it was still fouling the console so then had to bend the stick slightly back and problem solved. I suspect if I had just done that in the first place maybe we would not have needed to cut anything. I used the OEM inner rubber boot & metal retainer from a 240z and it fit no probs. In hindsight I would have stuck with a 260z box and not the skyline. If you cut alot you may have to just go to your local parts shop and get a universal boot:

Posted Image

cheers, Mike

#3 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Also, with some of the L-series gearboxes there were s-kinked gearsticks as well.

#4 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

My car was originally an auto. With the console out just measure back from the shifter 'ears' on the gearbox and stop when you are in the centre of the trans tunnel opening. You'll end up with something like the pic below. It's easily done with an oxy torch, or cut and weld. You can use the stock Nissan rubber inner boot and the pleather outer boot

I liked it so much I used the same stick on my RB box, but I had to weld the RB ball onto the bottom of the Z stick.

EDIT: The trans tunnel was shaved a tiny bit when fitting the RB20det box.

Attached Thumbnails

• 39967_ed64682c5173b9c109c588ec0d2165ef8b67d25f.jpg
  • 39965_f57fabf576dcfedfd6333d9b1953bef4600d3263.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users