A high school kid who just wants a 240z

Hey guys im Has or Hauswolf. Im currently in my last year of highschool and all I dream about is having a 240z and fixing it up. So i currently dont have a Z cause i have no job and no money but I will be an active member and build up my knowledge and make that dream of owning daily driving 240z a reality. My one question is, what should i look into when buying 240z and where would be the best place to find an affordable and clean 240z? Anyways, getting know everyone will be a privilege!  :D

Lurch,

The reason why you are so so so skinny, is,

You spend ALL your time on here, staring at a screen and just eating popcorn!

Has, start saving, report back here in two years time with your bank balance/budget available.

Maybe in meantime you may find a 260Z 2+2 as a fixer upper, to be your first Z car.

Maybe think about a 240 or a 260 2seat later on.

FWIW there is a reason the 280ZXbarges are becoming popular. The younger enthusiasts are trying to get their foot in the door.

The same thing happened 15 years ago with 260Z 2+2's...

Lurch you have to film yourself eating the popcorn. That would be hysterical

Challenge excepted.

• Administrators

Welcome, For some reason your username makes me think you might be German.

Is this your brother by any chance?

We all gotta start somewhere, finding a good 240z to fix up is quite difficult but not impossible. You'll need to save many monies and find a job, I bought my first 240z at age1 17, but that was in 1998 back then they were hard to find but not that expensive. It hasn't got easier.

Search here, gumtree and eBay to start with, but finding a car is sometimes a matter of who you know more than what websites you check. You'll have to pull some strings to find your Z. Good luck.

Buy this car:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,13357.0.html

Put an RB25DE in there until you are off your P's. That should set you back another $1000 at the most.

If you can't afford that car you can't afford a 240z, sorry that's the harsh truth.

As suggested if you cant afford $10k then buy a 280zx and get a 240z down the track

thread done.

• Moderators

As suggested if you cant afford $10k then buy a 280zx and get a 240z down the track

And then when you get that 240/260 you will have a well sorted L28E for it ????

• Moderators

Anything needing engineering is not legal on P's except in QL i think.

According to QLD Gov web site's section on P1 & P2 restrictions -

Any Engine or performance enhancing change that requires a mod plate is out. All other mods seem to be OK.

P restrictions only applies to engine mods by the looks... (high powered vehicles)

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/applying/provisional/restrictions/index.html

Noting in the about engeenring mods for extra seats  ;)

A P plater  could not drive a turbo 240Z in QLD because it has: "a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered"

and is not a "Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 657–698cc (1992–1997)

Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (2003 or later)

Smart Fortwo Coupe 2D Turbo 3 698cc (2000 or later)

Smart Fortwo Cabriolet Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)

Smart Roadster Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)

or

Toyota Landcruiser."

My advice: wait until you have finished high school before getting a project car.  I got my first 240Z in year 12 and spent alot of time working on the car instead of studying, and didn't do particularly well because of it. Car turned out awesome though  ;D

Welcome, For some reason your username makes me think you might be German.

Is this your brother by any chance?

We all gotta start somewhere, finding a good 240z to fix up is quite difficult but not impossible. You'll need to save many monies and find a job, I bought my first 240z at age1 17, but that was in 1998 back then they were hard to find but not that expensive. It hasn't got easier.

Search here, gumtree and eBay to start with, but finding a car is sometimes a matter of who you know more than what websites you check. You'll have to pull some strings to find your Z. Good luck.

Haha no not at all, I'm actually Sri Lankan i just came up with the name Hauswolf cause it sounded cool.

Ive been looking and looking for Z's everywhere even though i cant afford it but its for leisure. My main concern is insurance just incase some one steals the car cause ive been hearing that alot of Z's have been stolen. Its a shame how people are so low to the point they cant work for their own things and just ruin people's pride, but thats the world and it is what it is. Im just planning to finish high school and save up alot of money and fix one up. Just can't wait to make my own creation of Z. At the moment i drive an N16 pulsar which is actually some pretty good fun, but that feeling of owning, hearing and driving a 240z is what I want. Thank you all for helping me out so far, looking forward to seeing everyone at a meet with my own Z one day! :D

I checked the trading post ever week looking for a Z when I was 18 and wish I had taken the jump then but I finally have one. Be dedicated, save your cash, keep an eye out and jump on one quick when they come up. However buy the best shell you can because it will save you so much time and money down  the road

DEFINITELY get something "without" rust. (like the 2+2 shell i have for sale :D )

Will save you major setbacks and potentially tens of thousands of dollars (The car i bought was "rust free", now i am doing a full rotiss

rebuild that would cost about 20k if someone else did it).

• Moderators

That car has had the sill painted black like mine, anyone else's car have that treatment?

That was a popular used car trick in the 80's, I even heard it described as Sports Sill Treatment  :o