Kerrigan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

May I suggest a quick flight to Japan with an empty suitcase and plenty of Yen....

Nothing is going to fall in your lap without some hard work and countless hours of reserach! Sourcing Fairlady Z-L parts on these forums is like fishing in a dried up lake. Some members may have parts that they sourced themselves from Yahoo auctions in Japan; perhaps you can do the same?

• Moderators

I vote (Darrel?) Kerrigan get's given a holiday from this forum for being an ignorant, arrogant seppo twit.

And maybe a crash helmet with a built brake light as going away present.  ;)

Hey Kerrigan

I tell you what. If you have a decent 240z I'll look at buying it off you and importing it to a RHD country (here).

You can then go and buy a LHD US spec 240z and have no more problems.

I'll be up your way toward the end of this year..

G

• Administrators

Ok both threads are merged. I think you've been given good advice from Alan in this thread. If you want specific parts for your Z second hand please ask our members who may be able to help.

You can also use www.gumtree.com.au and www.ebay.com.au to find parts, we don't really use craigslist over here.

If you want to buy from Japan you can use a service like buyee.jp, importmonster.com.au, 'jesse streeter', www.importmonky.com or rhdjapan.com

Out of those I've used rhdjapan.com to find parts specific to a JDM Mazda RX-7. They offer a good service but you'll often have to have an order above a specific value before they will chase down specific parts for you.

I believe I said I contacted Revive Jalopy and asked them HOW DO I PAY FOR THIS ... and never heard back.

You want me to send me credit card information to an email which won't reply after the initial response?

I'll refrain from expressing my opinion of that suggestion ...

People want to help?  Wonderful.

People want to bitch and complain about my asking for help?

I can do without that thank you very much.

Sorry I'm not as brilliant as you "experts"; like the "expert" in Australia who basically is telling me my car can't exist with the ID numbers it has ....

We'll just do what Americans are good at doing ... the impossible.

Thanks anyway.

thor=HS30-H link=topic=13982.msg149649#msg149649 date=1396720447]

Groundhog Day ( again ), I see.....

As I've told you several times Kerrigan, 'Revive Jalopy' in Saitama, Japan can supply you with the correct engine bay 'VIN' tag for your 1971 Fairlady Z-L, and Nishi san will stamp it up himself with your chassis number before sending it out to you.

You're either not trying hard enough, or you're trying too hard in the wrong places ( like asking Nissan Japan, for example ). If you can't sort it out yourself then ask a company like RHD Japan or Jay Ataka at http://jdm-car-parts.com/ to help you. Half of Jay's stock comes from Revive Jalopy anyway....

I believe I said I contacted Revive Jalopy and asked them HOW DO I PAY FOR THIS ... and never heard back.

You want me to send me credit card information to an email which won't reply after the initial response?

I'll refrain from expressing my opinion of that suggestion ...

Like I said, you need to put some trust in them. These are people I know personally. I vouched for them didn't I? That means you don't trust me either, then? Your credit card's supplier is there to protect you in such situations. Revive Jalopy's postal address is easy to find ( I linked you to it, remember? ) so you could try that. How about engaging the services of a translator? Heaven knows how the East India Company or the Silk Road traders managed to do business...

Look at this from Revive Jalopy's point of view; How many USA-based small businesses would even attempt to answer an enquiry in Japanese from Japan, let alone try to process the order? I can tell you from personal experience that many USA-based businesses don't want to deal with anyone outside the USA, even if they do speak English. I told you before that you need to be persistent, and I was persistent with you wasn't I? Just getting you to use the correct e-mail address for Revive Jalopy was hard enough...

People want to help?  Wonderful.

People want to bitch and complain about my asking for help?

I can do without that thank you very much.

Speaking purely for myself, I find it frustrating to see you popping up on multiple forums at different times asking the same questions even when you've been given the answers elsewhere. It's been going on for years. I see you offering thanks to people who have been no help to you whatsoever whilst you all but ignore the people who have given you good data and good advice! It's like there are several different Kerrigans out there, all of them with short-term memory loss. You just don't seem to take things on board. It ought to be a pleasure to offer help, advice and recommendations to you, but you make it a chore. 

Sorry I'm not as brilliant as you "experts"; like the "expert" in Australia who basically is telling me my car can't exist with the ID numbers it has ....

Well, welcome to my world. There's plenty of bad data out there ( most of it originates in the USA, ironically enough ) but picking your way through it and recognising fact from fiction and who is to be trusted is all part of the game. You've owned your car long enough for you to be on top of the pretty basic stuff ( and didn't I send you an Excel copy of the factory parts list for your car on CD some years back? ) but you still seem to be waiting to throw a six to start.

But why are you relying on an Australian parts source to decode your chassis number? This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. YOU need to get on top of the data ( starting with the factory parts lists ) and YOU need to compare and cross-reference part numbers so that you can tell what parts on your car are different than, or the same as, the 'Export' models that you can find in north America and elsewhere. Your searches for a fuel pump and windscreen wiper arms are the perfect example: The original fuel pump on your car was identical to those fitted to the 'Export' cars that were made at the same time period as your car, and the part numbers would have told you that. The wiper arms were the same as the RHD 'Export' cars, so again the parts lists would have provided you with useful clues and you could have TOLD that Australian "expert" exactly what you were looking for. 

Actually, talking of "experts", I can think of one USA-based "expert" who is adamant that your car ( and all of mine too ) was "irrelevant". Now how's that for stupidity and arrogance personified?     

We'll just do what Americans are good at doing ... the impossible.

You can get started on "the impossible" right after you master HTML and the 'quote' function, eh?

I ask around to hear the opinions from others, and not surprisingly quite a few of the answers/opinions vary a lot.

And it did take posting on quite a few "parts wanted" places on forums to finally locate a couple of parts I needed so I guess that reinforced asking a lot of places.

Mostly just trying to learn as much about this specific Z I can.  I wrote NISSAN in Japan and was a little surprised they didn't have any information at all about it; when it was made, to what dealer it was sold, etc.  No ID plate ... I know I know, I'm asking a lot for that one piece.  The car isn't right without it.

So please bear with me while I continue my quest for information about this car ... and parts too ... like I want to replace the non-NISSAN fuel pump with a rebuilt/new OEM Nikki pump.  May have a rebuild kit on the way for it (hoping).

What does surprise me is how quick people are to jump on me for asking around like I've got a bad attitude or am a troll fishing for conflict. 

I thought other Z people would be glad to educate me about the car, not about my "bad American habits" ...

• Moderators

What does surprise me is how quick people are to jump on me for asking around like I've got a bad attitude or am a troll fishing for conflict. 

I thought other Z people would be glad to educate me about the car, not about my "bad American habits" ...

From what I've seen, people aren't "jumping" on you about asking, its the fact you have received the help and advice, but expecting others to do all the donkey work for you. Wishing parts just fall in your lap after asking several z based forums won't create many friends.. doing crap loads of research and maybe looking for actual pictures of what you need so then we know too what specific Z-L part you are after and also maybe the same as our Australian delivered models. I have only seen a few of the JDM Fairlady zed models here and I could see plenty of differences between the models.

If you are worried about sending credit card details online, grab a prepaid type card with a fixed low limit for international purchases... low risk just in case it does happen.

• Moderators

If you are worried about sending credit card details online, grab a prepaid type card with a fixed low limit for international purchases... low risk just in case it does happen.

This is a really good tip, I have a Mastercard Debit Card that I only load with funds as required to cover online purchases.

In all fairness, I've spent considerable time searching for specific parts for RHD (speedo cable, gauges (amps/fuel), and so on) with little result before I started asking "all over the place" for help on locating these somewhat unique parts.

And also asked a lot about information for this specific automobile, and received many different replies, with conflicting information, from the "experts" ...

All of it is just trying to find out the history of this car, and some parts.

Not asking people to do my research for me, just asking for information people ALREADY HAVE AT HAND.

And I look at all the images (BING comes up with a raft of them) and followed those links, which are often times duplicates with the same information but sometimes productive.

Latest example of what's wrong with the parts searching:  found a "genuine Nikki 240Z fuel pump in new condition" .. from a known seller in the Far East.  What I received finally was a pump for a B210 or something other than a 240Z or FairladyZ ... a useless to me $80 piece of metal.  Anyone want to purchase it?  Didn't think so.

I've some other OEM parts which turned out to not work on this car; when I'm done with this project of "refreshing the engine compartment" I'll toss them into the For Sale list and see if anyone needs them for a "normal 240Z".

Wish people wouldn't be so touchy about helping someone who isn't an expert and is just trying to take care of a good car, and learn more about it.

I've not seen a reply with the correct model designation for this car.  Nissan Historical Collection indicates the model code is "S30" rather than one of the other codes ... HU or whatever ...  :-\

I asked because I thought someone might have the "real" answer.

From what I've seen, people aren't "jumping" on you about asking, its the fact you have received the help and advice, but expecting others to do all the donkey work for you. Wishing parts just fall in your lap after asking several z based forums won't create many friends.. doing crap loads of research and maybe looking for actual pictures of what you need so then we know too what specific Z-L part you are after and also maybe the same as our Australian delivered models. I have only seen a few of the JDM Fairlady zed models here and I could see plenty of differences between the models.

I've not seen a reply with the correct model designation for this car.  Nissan Historical Collection indicates the model code is "S30" rather than one of the other codes ... HU or whatever ...  :-\

I asked because I thought someone might have the "real" answer.

But Kerrigan, this is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about when I refer to the frustration in trying to help you.

You've been a member on the classiczcars.com forum since August 2003. On the classiczcars forum I - and several others - have documented, discussed and argued about the Japanese market models for something over 12 years at least now. I myself have added lost of photos, scans and text containing accurate data about those models. The 1971 Fairlady Z-L is one of them. I own a 1970 Fairlady Z-L myself, so I had a greater incentive to find out more about such cars and - particularly in the case of one or two USA-based "experts" who see them as "irrelevant" - to defend them as significant variants that are a key part of S30-series Z history. Katsuhiko 'Kats' Endo is another who has added valuable information to the forum, in particular period data from Nissan Shatai ( the company which actually built these cars ).

So why haven't you picked up the correct factory model designation of your car from those discussions? The factory build codes are something I feel like I've written out a thousand times on various forums, so what's the big mystery? I know for a fact that you have participated on some of the very threads where such topics have been discussed in depth...

The basic model code of your car is - simply - 'S30'. In factory parlance it was variously nicknamed the 'Deluxe' and/or the 'Dx'. On factory parts lists it is sometimes called the 'D' model, or 'Z-Dx'. It shared the 'S30' chassis number / body serial number sequence with the 'S30-S' model 'Fairlady Z', a cheaper - no frills - model that came without hubcaps, bumper rubber trims, carpets ( it had rubber mats ) and even without a clock. This 'Fairlady Z' model was nicknamed 'Z-Standard', and 'Zs', 'S' or 'Z-Std' depending on which factory publication you refer to. And as the 'Std' and 'Deluxe' models shared that 'S30' prefixed body serial number sequence, there's no way of telling whether a particular car is a 'Std' or a 'Deluxe' just by looking at the chassis number. So, for example, a car with a theoretical chassis number of 'S30-00023' could be either a 'Deluxe' Fairlady Z-L with all the bells and whistles, or a basic 'poverty' spec 'Standard' Fairlady Z with a 4-speed. It gets a little more complicated after that:

Now, there were suffixes to these basic model codes, and these suffixes - mostly used by the factory and the dealers - identified particular sub-variants. For example, a Fairlady Z-L equipped with an automatic transmission would be coded 'S30-A' and a Fairlady Z with an automatic transmission would be coded 'S30-SA'. A Fairlady Z-L equipped with an automatic transmission and prepped for 'Regular' gasoline ( as opposed to High Octane ) would be coded 'S30-AN', and a Fairlady Z with automatic transmission and prepped for Regular gas would be coded 'S30-SAN'.

However, these suffixes were only noted on the factory paperwork and the dealer's paperwork. They were not noted anywhere on the car ( although there were clues to them... ) and you will have to piece together the original spec of the car ( and therefore the applicable 'Shashu Kigo / Shanai Kigo' ) from the evidence presented on the car itself. With a 1971 Fairlady Z-L that's actually fairly easy:

Take a peep at the attached scan. It's a official list of Nissan's S30-series Z models as of October 1971, when the L24-engined models ( with HS30 prefixes ) were introduced and sold alongside the previously available L20A and S20-engined variants, giving a prospective buyer no less than 20 variants to choose from, all of which could be up-specced from a fairly comprehensive list of dealer options and official 'Sports' option parts.

The third column contains numbers that - to Nissan at least - identified the sub-variants properly. These numbers are the 'Ruibetsu Kubun Bango' for each sub-variant. If you can pin your car down to one of these then you have your answer. As I'm guessing it came with a 5-speed trans, it's either an S30, S30-C, S30-N or S30-CN. If it had factory aircon it's an S30-C, if it had Regular gas prep it was an S30-N, if aircon AND regular gas it's an S30-CN. If none of the above then it's a 'normal' S30 code Fairlady Z-L. 

If any specific questions, fire away...           

post-1250-144023748048_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the well-thought out and comprehensive writeup.  I appreciate it.

I have been reading all the information I've run into on the internet; as you indicated, a lot of different variations on a common theme when Nissan built the Z.  Spent many many hours posting and looking.

Your post is the first which seems logically presented and the facts fit what I've come to learn about this Z.  You actually have more information than the contacts I made at Nissan USA and Nissan Japan.

My knowledge of Z cars is limited, pretty much to this car and it's variants.  Someone said the dates on the wiring harness tags are a good indication of the build date window ... didn't know that ...

For one, I had no idea there were so many variations.  It's been very educational.  Was surprised to see in the Heritage Collection in 1977 the Fairlady Z-T with the L20E V-6 OHC 1998cc engine and a 5-speed on the floor.  Like to have THAT Z ....

Again, thank you.

Now I have the answers and don't need to ask the questions again.

April 11, 2014

Dear Mr. Kerrigan C. Gray:

Thank you again for your email dated April 11, 2014, concerning your

Nissan Fairlady Z.

With regard to your request, we regret to say that the information on

your vehicle is very limited.

There were 2 types of Fairlady Z in 1971, and they are S30 with L20

engine and PS30 with S20 engine.  The S30 includes 2 classification

types, S and D.  We would like to provide you with the specification

information on S30 and PS30 as attached.  We are unable to translate

Japanese into other languages.

Sincerely yours,

Chikako TAGUCHI

Customer Communication Center

NISSAN MOTOR Co., LTD.

Latest example of what's wrong with the parts searching:  found a "genuine Nikki 240Z fuel pump in new condition" .. from a known seller in the Far East.  What I received finally was a pump for a B210 or something other than a 240Z or FairladyZ ... a useless to me $80 piece of metal.  Anyone want to purchase it?  Didn't think so.

Is it not an L series fuel pump? Some varients of the B210 did come with an L14 or L16 series engine.

I'm sure you would have no probelm selling it to someone with a 510 if it is.

Why not just buy a nissan fuel pump from the USA?

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/nissan-fuel-pump~17010-e4127.html

Are you trying to do a concourse restoration or something?

April 11, 2014

Dear Mr. Kerrigan C. Gray:

Thank you again for your email dated April 11, 2014, concerning your

Nissan Fairlady Z.

With regard to your request, we regret to say that the information on

your vehicle is very limited.

There were 2 types of Fairlady Z in 1971, and they are S30 with L20

engine and PS30 with S20 engine.  The S30 includes 2 classification

types, S and D.  We would like to provide you with the specification

information on S30 and PS30 as attached.  We are unable to translate

Japanese into other languages.

Sincerely yours,

Chikako TAGUCHI

Customer Communication Center

NISSAN MOTOR Co., LTD.

Thats a nice email. At least they had the courtesy to reply to you in your language, which is probably more courtesy that you afforded them?

Yours would be the S30, not the PS30.

Yes, trying to put an original Nikki pump on it for show.  Had one, but it failed so I got a different one which looks really out of place.  Did find a rebuild kit, so we'll see how that goes.

I asked them very nicely, respectfully,  and yes I don't speak or write their language.  That's not a surprise as I'm an English-speaking American.

It is a nice reply; the Japanese are generally very polite culture.

Nice plain ole S30 RHD for JDM, in the LUX model.

We enjoy it; that's what counts.

Turned out the "rebuild kit" only had one of the rubber valves, and no o-rings (which should be easy to pick up.)  I did get an OEM shelf-queen Nikki pump which I think is for a B210 or some car other than a Z.  Looks the same except for the arm and bottom casting which has two mounting holes instead of three.  I'll try to trade it for a Z one, ... or just gut it and see if the parts will rebuild the Nikki off the Z.

These parts for older Z cars are hard to find ... for me anyway.

And thank you to those AusZcar forum people who have helped me with the PMs .. again, thank you!

Revive Jalopy in Japan apparently as blank reproduction ID tags but after they sent me an image of them, I've been unable to re-establish contact to purchase one.

Refurbished/good condition RHD hood latch assembly (body side) RHD speedo cable (not kinked) would be nice to find.

A correct Nikki fuel pump, or rebuild kit.

A headlight/combination switch either in very good condition, or rebuildable.

And a blank ID plate s for 1971 S30 from Revive Jalopy or some other aftermarket restorer ...

I found a lot of Jesse Streeter images but no email contact; it was suggested I contact him for possible ID plate.

Probably should put this in WTB with a WTB heading but here it is already anyway.

to quote Alan T.

Not only have you created duplicate threads but you've not told us what you're after each time....