The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Fellas,
My insurance is up for renewal.
My 240 is currently insured with shannons , I pay $300 excess in the event of a claim, and the yearly premium is $449, yesterday I obtained a quote from Nrma vintage and veteran and for the same value, same excess & they quoted me $345...this included free accidental glass replacement for "all" glass, salvage rights, ...crikey, the list just went on !
Has anybody here ever insured their zed with Nrma V&V , and how did they find them in the event of a claim ?
Cheers...

#2 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Gidday

I used to have all my insurance (House, Cars & Bikes) with NRMA. Then we had a claim on the House policy and I had to threaten legal action to get my claim honoured. At that time a figured sh&t happens and stayed with them. Then a couple of years later one of the brick supports under the house collapsed and caused damage to my bike - not covered under either house or bike policy. Sent a legal letter and eventually got an Ex gratia payment.

Admittedly this was over ten years ago and maybe things have changed, but I will never use them again.

Have now been with Shannons for years and they have been great.

Just my two cents worth.

#3 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Have now been with Shannons for years and they have been great.

Have you made claims with Shannons?

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Have you made claims with Shannons?

Good question.
Yes I have - someone knocked my bike over on club run damaging both the bike and two helmets. Admittedly I was not at fault but they were very easy to deal with and settled quickly with no arguing over the vaule of the helmets etc.

#5 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

I have the older cars and house and contents with Shannons and have made a couple of claims, once rearended and two windscreen claims, all painless and easy to deal with.

Had my last ute with NRMA, had a no fault claim and assumed that choice of repairer meant choice of repairer, well it sort of does as long as your repairer can match their quote, any extra and it's from your pocket, and this for a claim from the other company. After a run in with them many years ago I though I would give them another try, but I would now not insure a skate board with them.

For classic car insurance also try Lumley, Ryno and if they are still around VGL.

#6 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

I have my contents insurance and my daily insured with NRMA and could not praise them enough.
My missus has crashed the Calais twice and both times they got it sorted quick and I used my friends panel shop with out question.
Have also claimed on my contents insurance when I was broken into last year,
Had a tv a stereo and a very very expensive custom built remote control car.
I was expecting a lot of trouble with this but all I needed to do was print out my paypal receipts and they just gave me a lump cash payment for the rc car and new for old replacement on the stereo and tv.
Find them very good to deal with.

#7 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

In the process of putting a claim through Shannons now. I have all my cars ,house and contents  with them. A number of weeks ago there was a hail storm with stones the size of tennis balls come through here . Not a lot of fun to be out in.  I tried to save my daughter's car with some old carpet underlay but when these things came down I bailed and stood in the shed.Her car was not covered by shannons. But I  have a colorbond roof on the house and it was damaged although  it seemed very minor I left it up to Shannons to decide if it should be replaced or not. I just notified them that it may have been damaged. In their wisdom they decided it should be replaced and I can keep the old roof if I wish. So a car port for the children is now in order. All this will happen in the next week or so. So fingers crossed ! But to date things are going as smooth as . I take it your Z is a daily drive. 

#8 3rd_Gen_260Z

3rd_Gen_260Z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Tagline:3 Generation 260Z Owner

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

I hate to shamelessly plug what I do but i'm an insurance broker.

We deal with a range of different companies who specialize in vintage and classic vehicles with some of the broadest coverage money can buy.

I guess this is more of a, FYI NRMA & Shannons are not the be all and end all.

www.ebminsurance.com.au if anyone is interested

#9 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

No its definetly not a daily driver.
Ive been agonising on which way to go here, but given the years of continual positive feedback Ive read about shannons on this forum, perhsps best I stick with them.
Insurance broker ehhhh.....are you able to offer us zed lovers a package if say 10 members came to you for comprehensive insurance on 10 clean zeds ? Lets start here...

1. Chris 240z agreed value $26500, once a month car, no claims past 5 years, middle aged :P,
2. Who's next !

#10 3rd_Gen_260Z

3rd_Gen_260Z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

No its definetly not a daily driver.
Ive been agonising on which way to go here, but given the years of continual positive feedback Ive read about shannons on this forum, perhsps best I stick with them.
Insurance broker ehhhh.....are you able to offer us zed lovers a package if say 10 members came to you for comprehensive insurance on 10 clean zeds ? Lets start here...

1. Chris 240z agreed value $26500, once a month car, no claims past 5 years, middle aged :P,
2. Who's next !

Posted Image

Ha-ha i'm sure we could negotiate a deal with the insurer if they knew a whole bunch of business was coming their way.

#11 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

So what If I throw in three car plus ten cars from the out laws 8 are curently shed covers are we now talking the right number of cars.Or do they have to be all Z's   

#12 3rd_Gen_260Z

3rd_Gen_260Z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

It doesn't have to be strictly zeds but vintage/classic cars. We can do regular stuff too obviously but that'd be with a separate insurer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users