hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi all,

For the last couple of years that I have owned the Zed, I have been changing the oil and oil filter every 6 months. Recently, I got to thinking whether this really was necessary. As I'm in Sydney most of the year and the car is with my folks in a garage in Melbourne, it only really would do about 2-3000 km per year (mostly when I am in Melbourne). However, my old man starts the car once or so a week.

I have searched the threads in this forum, and was not able to find a specific answer to my question, although the wider internet recommends an annual oil change for a car which is used as frequently and in the same manner as mine. But I'd like to hear what you blokes have to say.

The car does not have any leaks and runs the stock L26 and I currently use Penrite HPR 30 (20W-60) and a RYCO filter.

So, how often should I really be changing the oil/filter?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

Once every 12 months is acceptable.
You are using a good quality oil & filter, so I wouldn't be stressed about it.

#3 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

Once every 12 months is acceptable.
You are using a good quality oil & filter, so I wouldn't be stressed about it.

Cheers, Lurch! Was going to change the oil today, but now I might hold off for another 6 months  8)

#4 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

if you really must change it every 6 months then i would suggest driving it more to justify the economies of a more regular service interval ;)
(annually is fine, as lurch said)

#5 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Nizm0,

The car is actually kept in a garage in Melbourne while I'm at uni in Sydney so I only really get to drive it when I come back home. My dad fires her up every week or so while I'm away though.

#6 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

My dad fires her up every week or so while I'm away though.

I would like to offer you this service in Sydney. I will even drive it for you free of charge.

#7 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

lol George...

Does your dad just start it up and let it idle for a few minutes?
Or actually take it for a drive for 15-20 minutes or more?

Just starting it up and idling it is not very good for it at all, most engine wear is done at idle start up/warm up as the enrichened mixtures can wash the oil off the bores, the oil is thick and doesn't lubricate over the bearings as much and exhaust condensation will promote increased corrosion in the exhaust system.
You would be better off not starting it and idling it, just keep the battery on a trickle charger and take it for a good drive when time permits.

#8 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

I would like to offer you this service in Sydney. I will even drive it for you free of charge.

Thanks George, but the car is in Melbourne!  8)

lol George...

Does your dad just start it up and let it idle for a few minutes?
Or actually take it for a drive for 15-20 minutes or more?

Just starting it up and idling it is not very good for it at all, most engine wear is done at idle start up/warm up as the enrichened mixtures can wash the oil off the bores, the oil is thick and doesn't lubricate over the bearings as much and exhaust condensation will promote increased corrosion in the exhaust system.
You would be better off not starting it and idling it, just keep the battery on a trickle charger and take it for a good drive when time permits.

My dad starts it up and idles it until till it's about 90°C, adjusting the choke appropriately, then revs it liberally. Unfortunately, he does not drive manual so this all happens in the garage. Previously, I had left the car not started for a period of 3 months and then it was an absolute PITA to get it started again. Since then, we've found that turning it over every 7-10 days makes it a lot easier to start. I can't think of any reason for why this is, but it's what I've observed. I get to drive it every two months or so but when I do, I average at least 100km a day  ;D ;D ;D

What do you think would be the best thing to do for the car until I finish uni? I've been planning to do this for the next 4 years (when I finish uni and can get a place with a garage).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users