• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 muchacho260z

muchacho260z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

hey guy my head gasket just went on my 260z and everywhere i call they want to charge me over $900 to fix, so if their is anyone wanting to sell an l26 or L28 please let me know.
my email is muchacho_sexyc@hotmail.com

#2 thehelix112

thehelix112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

Fix it yourself?  Its not that hard.

Dave

#3 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

Fix it yourself?  Its not that hard.

Dave

I'll 2nd that.  And if you don't have the skills to fix it yourself then get a few more quotes.  It's not a hard job and shouldn't cost anywhere near $900!  Where are you from? some people on the forum might know some good mechanics to try in your area????

#4 muchacho260z

muchacho260z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

im in liverpool sydney.if anyone knows a machanic that will charge me less then $900 then that would really help.
Do you know if their is any problems after putting in a new head gasket.
anything i need to know about i just dont want to do a head change and have it blow again.

#5 FuzzyDropbear

FuzzyDropbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

$900 is rediculous! lol. Any mechanic should be able to change the gasket. There should be a mechanic in Sydney that will do it for a lot less than what you were quoted. Should just grab the yellow pages and look up some more mechanics.

Or, you could do it yourself. It's way cheaper and should only take a few hours.

There shouldn't be any problems once the gasket is changed.

#6 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

Apart from parts, it cost a friend $600 labour to have a 4 cyl Toyota engine rebuilt, $900 for a head gasket?  I dont think so.   The hardest part is the head being shaved from the head warping (happens on alloy heads and is only a tiny warp), that cost me $100 for an RB25DET... if you even can be bothered doing it, a lot of people dont.

#7 FuzzyDropbear

FuzzyDropbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:58 AM

The hardest part is the head being shaved from the head warping (happens on alloy heads and is only a tiny warp), that cost me $100 for an RB25DET... if you even can be bothered doing it, a lot of people dont.

You can do that by putting sandpaper over a coffee table, put a little kero over the top to lubricate and rub away!! It may take a fair while (and a few beers  ;)), but it will eventually get the head as flat as a tack and will do it on a very tight budget!

Cheers,

Rob

#8 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

:D :D :D
just wondering how many of those beers does it take before the head surface looks straight ?

#9 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

hahahaha, nice

#10 FuzzyDropbear

FuzzyDropbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

:D :D :D
just wondering how many of those beers does it take before the head surface looks straight ?

haha, not sure. But a couple of blokes in my other car club have done it with great success. It's also useful for manifolds etc where it's not really worth getting them done by a mechanic but you still want it to seal properly, rather than solely relying on the gasket to seal it up. Probably useful when you don't have too much warpage, otherwise you'd have to use a coarser grit first and then come back with the final few cuts with a finer grit paper.

Just thought I'd pass it along. I'm going to be using it when I get around to rebuilding my engine as I don't think the head will fit into Dad's lathe.

Cheers,

Rob

#11 muchacho260z

muchacho260z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

thanks guys i think im going to give it a try myself. thanks for the help.
if i have any problems ill be asking you guys.
thanks again for the help

#12 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

Just to let you know, a mate has a L28 efi version if u need it, but would need to know soonish.

#13 scoot3r42

scoot3r42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:10 PM

i got a l26 sitting here 2 mate

#14 24OZ

24OZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

only fly in the ointment would be if it was corroded around the water galleries and needed welding and facing :-\
btw what is a P90 head worth secondhand these days?.....sometimes if you need to pull the head off you may as well scout around for a better one to put back on......i find i feel less sour about doing repairs if the finished product is faster ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users