62 replies to this topic

#21 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

Top gear events for the part of year required are booked .So they are out .Remember looking at this from a club point of view. Sprint days: Clubs are now limited to 2 groups only. So they are out . This is under ASAA. So that only leaves a day hire. Everything that has been talked about all makes good sense . But if something can be done it will be like an entry level event .If it works and is exciting , then those can look at moving into the other options offered at other race meets.  Change your car to meet regulations and rules
It may be something to be included at the next Nissan ,Datsun Nationals and that will be a CAMS event and could be the next stepping stone so to speak with CAMS rules and regs.
I am with Richard as a Z only event .But I have  been a Z person for 35 years now. So I am bias and we can not have that .In the spirit  of the event and charter of the ZCCQ it has to be open to all ZCCQ members, invited clubs and owners. Not sure how that works for a NDN Easter event as most non Nissan Datsun ZCCQ members feel they should not enter  or are not allowed to enter. As may be the case. 

#22 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Just to confirm though - we are talking "racing" as opposed to supersprints ? With all the extra requirements (licensing / car safety requirements / down to safety apparel), and all the rest of it ?

I've been looking to step up to Group S in the next year or two, and I'm looking at well over a grand before I even touch the car. The old single layer race suit doesn't cut it anymore, neither do the old shoes, or the L2S licence for starters.

#23 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

One more question - why, when I type in "sports car racing", does it turn onto a link to an ebay auction ??

#24 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

And don't forget for QR events you will need to have a HANS device for any racing from January 1, so that is also upgrading your helmet to a minimum of SNELL2005 as AS1698 helmets cannot be fitted with posts and you also need to hire or purchase the radio receiver that is mandatory for racing.

#25 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Have QRO actually specified the helmets in their HANS sales info?
I think not,
A older, but modified for QRO's 2014 requirements to run HANS helmet, in some cases may not meet CAMS requirements.

You buy a HANS from anywhere, read their fitting instructions, follow precisely, BUT, some may be OK for QRO tracks, and AASA tracks ( note they are not the same now) but not OK for CAMS tracks.
Ambiguous, and CAMS are ignorant about this!

Yes, build a dar to pre-existing rules, not build a hybrid hotrod one off sports sedan salt lake missile, and try to write up new rules so that it complies.
As said above

If you are aqld based, and want to have a go at door to door Sports Car Racing, in older type, but rather modified, within reason, Zeds, then there are a few one off events available, but a Zed does need to be mostly Zed, ie L engine, triples or FI, screw/adjusty suspension, fat rims, ie 2F or 2B regs, not 2A/ Sports Sedan stuff.

Let me know, and i will try to push for it, it can only be at a QRO track, later on in 2014, date TBA

#26 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

And don't forget for QR events you will need to have a HANS device for any racing from January 1, so that is also upgrading your helmet to a minimum of SNELL2005 as AS1698 helmets cannot be fitted with posts and you also need to hire or purchase the radio receiver that is mandatory for racing.

If that is the case then any track event the ZCCQ might run should not sensibly include a racing segment. Hardly anyone in the club has a HANS device for a start. Too bad, it could have been an interesting thing to do but the nanny state strikes again.

#27 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Richard, in this case I agree with QR on the mandatory HANS device for racing. Looking at the incidents that happened last year without and with the drivers wearing HANS devices I know that I am happy I bought one and will be updating my seat to one with the wings for the head restraint to give me the best chance I can. Sort of reminds me of the old Bell Helmets marketing..... If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet.

I don't see HANS devices as nanny state, I see it as improving the safety of our sport as has happened throughout the years, decent helmets, then mandatory belts, and improvements in belt technology, improvements in ROPS over the years. Sure they are expenses that are put onto competitors, but we now have less deaths in the sport than we have before at all levels. When I first started racing you had at least one death a year in all states at state level racing, now we have one or two deaths across the country in a bad year.

If you see making valid safety requirements as nanny state, then so be it, but for mine it makes my sport safer and if the worse happens I have a better chance of walking away I'll take it. Another reason why I am paying a very good fabricator a bucket load of cash to weld a heap of extra weight into the shell and the better half doesn't mind how much this part of the race car build costs,

Also if you are racing the car needs a cage at QR anyway, so that will take out a few more Zeds and to wear the HANS device you need an one piece fixed back seat and and harness, so there goes a few more.

#28 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

Nanny state?
You are quite wrong!
qRO ( Queensland Raceways Operations-the two brisbane tracks) are very pro-active in getting those that actually want to do something a bit more than just plain sprints, into the next step, ie flag to flag.

Cars do not need to be CAMS full on rules type, but more lenient ie: they want you on the teack, and paying them the $$.
Pretty much any of the caged sprinter Zeds could participate in a flags event, and they'd be in with other similar type cars. Bot registered and unregistered.
Any Tarmac rally car would fit right in.

The biggest hurdle, if wanting to run at other than QRO tracks, is CAMS and the requirement for not only a car to Group 2 Sports car regs, but, in addition, the particular specification apparel
( suit/gloves/socks/balaclava/shoes/helmet/or correct helmet with HANS device)

Nanny State? No way, it is too easy to go and race,,,,, if you rwally want to, in Qld.

#29 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Well here's an event for those in Qld who want to step up to racing, this just came into my inbox a few minutes ago.

ALL NEW QR 300 ENDURO AT QUEENSLAND RACEWAY FOR THE FESTIVAL OF CARS

Queensland Raceways has announced the introduction of the all new QR 300 Enduro Race as part of the Festival of Cars at Queensland Raceway, 3rd-4th May 2014.

The new race format is based on the highly successful Wakefield 300 event held annually at Wakefield Park Raceway, and will see competitors complete 96 laps around the National Circuit for a total race distance of 300km.

The QR 300 will be open to all Sports Cars and Sedans, including (but not limited to) Improved Production, Sports Sedans, HQ's, Geminis and Excels. The minimum lap time around the National Circuit will be 1 minute and 22 seconds. Each vehicle entering the QR 300 must be driven by a minimum of two drivers with a maximum of three drivers for the event.

Queensland Raceways General Manager, Keith Lewis, said that the event will hopefully draw a wide range of cars and competitors to the circuit; including interstate drivers who currently compete in the Wakefield 300.

"The success of the event at Wakefield shows that there is definitely a large market for this type of race meeting. The plan is to run the event in 2014 to gauge the interest in a 300km enduro at Queensland Raceway, with the aim of running an 'East Coast Challenge' series with three events across three different circuits in 2015."

Supplementary Regulations and further details for the new event will be finalised over the coming weeks and released early in the New Year.

For more information please email events@qldraceways.com.au.

You just have to trust someone else to punt your car around as well.

#30 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

HANS should be a personal choice thing for low level racing, making them compulsory will stop a lot of people from having a go to see if racing is for them. It's not as if the benefits of a HANS has not been publicised enough, a lot of people are using them voluntarily anyway.

#31 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

The HANS device also keeps the insurance we can claim on, if the worse happens, affordable.

Fortunately for both CAMS and AASA events you fuck up big time, you can claim on the event holder's insurance policy to pay for medical costs and in the case of permanent disability, a payout will be made to help with living costs when you can't work. Some of us find these things a little reassuring to provide for families after something bad has happened from our selfish activities.

A safety device that costs $450 isn't going to stop someone going racing when you look at the rest of the costs to get your car ready for racing. If you can't spare $450 out of your car build budget you shouldn't be racing, what other short cuts have you taken????

#32 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

^^^ what he said.
I've now gotten myself a HANS device since Peter Halls death. And I just do sprinting!
But you do t need ont Richard  ::)

#33 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

^^^ what he said.
I've now gotten myself a HANS device since Peter Halls death. And I just do sprinting!

Well as I said before......

$10 dollar head, $10 dollar helmet........ ;)

#34 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

^^^ what he said.

Might be a silly question but can these be fitted to any helmet?

#35 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Might be a silly question but can these be fitted to any helmet?

No, you need a SA2005 or higher helmet.

Best is SAH2010, which has either prefitted HANS posts or the threads ready for HANS posts.

SA2005 can have posts retro fitted, but it is scary drilling into your helmet.

AS1698 helmets cannot be drilled to fit HANS devices.

A SAH2010 rated helmet can be bought for around $400, so there is no excuse not to upgrade if your present helmet is getting old.

#36 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Actually I have a SA2005 helmet but the fact is that this HANS requirement has eliminated any possibility of the ZCCQ including a 'get acquainted' racing segment into any circuit event we may run. Well done  >:(

#37 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

If you want to "get aquainted" with Motorsport? Start with sprints.
If you want to do door to door racing? Get the right gear!
Not that hard really.
I've mentioned before that I was thinking about walking away from speed events. But feel better after taking the plunge and getting some safety upgrades. Getting a good deal helped too.
How much money would you spend on performance parts? Why do people cheap out on safety gear? Spend a few grand and protect yourselves.
It sounds like this thread has run it's course. You want to have door to door, with a class that suits a is unclassifyable and most likely under subscribed.

#38 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

The ZCCQ is noted for introducing members to motorsport, a look at the numbers of members competing in sprints for the first time indicates how successful that approach has been. The next step could have been to introduce sprinters to racing, at an event where the proceedings would have been carefully monitored and supervised with safety paramount. However due to the nanny state introduction of compulsory HANS devices for racing that option will not be practical now. As I said before, well done  >:(

We know what is best for you = nanny state.

#39 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

As you may of guessed by now Richard and myself are looking after the next competition track event to be run by the ZCCQ . As this is a club day ,we are looking at the types of events would best suit a verity of club members, invited clubs and forum members It will be on the 17th May 2014 but I am waiting to hear back from Queensland raceways about what we can do in a fixed price day hire event.  I have made a number of requests.
The ZCCQ will not be making any money from this event and in fact may run at a small lost . Safety will be a primary issue in anything we do and we will comply with all requirements set out by QR for any events we run. This is about providing something that you may not be able to get at other events or at least a stepping stone to other events.
We will need all the support we can get to make this work. Please help. 

#40 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Throwaway comments like
Nanny state
Well done
Etc, from a Lakeside protagonist, ha! It is Lakeside that is now making these compulsory for race events.

You have cars that have cost you what, 20,30,40,50 k, you pay series fees, entry fees,each year, to play, you spend plenty getting to and fro, and on accomodation, you think nothing of buying the fastest and the best, etc

AND now you whinge and bitch and moan about a one off upgrade cost for a HANS, and a fresh helmet?

AND bring the club that has the potential to get something happening, at two of the most easy administatively run tracks in Austealia, down, all because of something that can and does save lives!

AND you are on the steering committee for NDN15.

Really letting us all know the true colours!
Priceless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users