Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

http://www.tyreshack.com.au/

Found this web page while searching for 15" tyres for another project car.
Interesting reading the link regarding "Tyre Shack DO NOT recommend Shannon's Insurance for your muscle car".
http://www.productre...ons/301709.html

And something to be aware of with our zeds. We value them more than the insurer.

#2 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Not too sure about that review Scott. As with most stories, there are two sides and you're only reading one jaded end.

#3 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

Shannons was good as they had their own claims centre and were therefore easy to deal with. In the past year however their claims centre has been incorporated into the larger Suncorp group of insurance companies and unfortunately for us this group of amateurs are renowned for screwing people over for bottom dollar as that review outlines.

Having seen this first hand with my brothers car after it was stolen and written off, I will be changing my policy to another provider and I encorage others to do the same. The amount of heartache caused by Suncorp and their bullying tactics just isn't worth the $50 a year saving

#4 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

How Shannon's used to operate, is now no more.
They are a "normal" insurance Co now, shop around.

#5 Scottz

Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

George - You are spot on. It's just one person's viewpoint. I stumbled into the story and found it interesting.

Agno - What are you saying? Shannons is part of Suncorp?, or they use the same claims department?, or what? Got any proof for that?
'Cause I once had 3 houses, 3 cars and a boat insured with Suncorp. But when they did me for $72K for damage done to one of my houses I dropped all Suncorp policies. Suncorp only paid me $6600 for "The Water Damage". The rest was my problem.
My fancy pancy Solarhart hot water system shat itself one summer. The mother board shorted out. Sparky said it was a power surge. I figured no worries, I have fusion insurance with Suncorp. Rang the claims dept only to find out my fusion excess had crept from $150 up to $1000. No point making a claim for a $780 circuit board if I have to pay a grand. My bad. Every year when you renew your policy you must read the T's and C's and policy documents. That's how they change things and you have to stay on top of it by reading all the literature. Don't assume each year is the same as the previous.

Jaded ?- not at all, but all my insurance is now with others, however my special interest registered cars are insured with Shannons. Incidentally all my policies are more expensive then the old Suncorp policies, but I wasn't looking for cheap cover. I wanted the best cover I could afford.
I still have one house mortgage with Suncorp, and I'm doing my best to get rid of that.

Now back to affordable / cheap tyres:
http://www.hendrasec...m.au/index.html
http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/etyrestore
http://www.tyresales.com.au/

#6 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Agno - What are you saying? Shannons is part of Suncorp?, or they use the same claims department?, or what? Got any proof for that?

Off topic rant coming up.

Shannons has always been owned by Suncorp but recently Shannons was absorbed into the much larger Suncorp insurance team, that means whenever you call Shannons you are put through to the Brisbane based call centre and not the old Shannons offices on Wurragul Road in Melbourne. This in turn means that you are treated just like anyone else that holds a Suncorp policy, you are just a number that they want to screw over for the lowest dollar possible and believe me, they are just as parasitic and cold hearted as they were when you dealt with them.

My brother's car was stolen and written off by Just Cars (Suncorp). The claims department valued the car at $1800 and a "final offer" of $2k when other vendors (including fellow Suncorp insurer Shannons) valued the car at $7.5-$8k. 5 months and a trip to the ombudsman later he was finally given what he should have gotten.

It makes me mad that the people we dealt with within the claims department of Suncorp are happy to completely screw people over for a living. It takes advantage of the people that can afford it least as they can't afford to be without a car or without the money so they accept a significantly smaller payout than they deserve. It completely flies in the face of what insurance is all about and why you pay for it in the first place.

#7 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

I work in a the crash repair industry and re regularly deal with Shannon's.
we have never had an issue with them. In fact they have been the easiest to deal with over I'll the other company's.
the never keep us waiting and are alway generous with the claims

#8 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

I recently wrote my R6 off and had a very positive experience with them.

#9 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Just wondering what people think of NRMA vintage and veteran insurance.
That's who I am insured with, they seem very reasonably priced for what I'm getting but, fortunately I have not yet had to make a claim so don't know what they are like with claims.

Mick

#10 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

They couldn't even come close to Shannons for me.

#11 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Don't know how NRMA handle the vintage and veteren clams. but if it's anything like their normal insurance up here in Qld I wouldn't be comfortable recommending them.

I wouldn't insure a skate board with NRMA after two claims over 20+ years. I learnt from the first claim, and stayed away for a long time. Though they might have improved over the years, but nope, got shafted on my last claim. Repairer of choice with some BIG conditions. If the cost is above the shonky shop we choose at the lowest price from our blurry photos, you pay the difference to use your shop.

At the moment, very happy with Shannons, been with them for a lot of years, had to make one claim after being rear ended, and a couple of windscreen claims on a couple of cars all no hassles and a pleasure to deal with. They were also the only company that could cope with me living in one state and the car at another address in another state.

i still have a look at other companies each year to keep them honest with the premiums and values.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users