#21 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

Show them a copy of the Nissan official documentation that had 10" wide rims, as an approved spare parts option for the Z, along with the approved flares.

#22 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

The copy i have is in japanese...

#23 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yeah I was aware that 10's were a factory option but I probably should grab a copy of that.

#24 Tonyger

Tonyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I found whatever 15 inch tyres you want for your 15 inch rims...

http://tyreshack.com...-t/a/cat_3.html

#25 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

WOW! you actually found some tires that fit!!!

Thank you very much, this information I thought didn't exist. This might just help solve my problem...

Hmmm on second look, none of these will have an appropriate rolling diameter... I think a 255/60/15 would be too big
compared to stock and a 295/50/15 would be similar, but like a flabby cousin...

Nup, I think wide 15's are really out. :/

#26 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Ok, last possibility here...

Is there any possibility of converting the cars hubs over to something that protrudes roughly an inch more so you can run an 8" rim with 0 offset to fill out the flares?
I have thought about welding spacers to the hubs OR the wheels, but each seem to have the problem of possibly untempering the surface it ids to be affixed to.
I realised that this would have to be engineered, but it still saves me a ton of cash over going the VOLKS plus i wont find it impossible to buy the correct tyres stocking with an 8" rim.

#27 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I reckon you should just avoid going flares. It will save you a fair abit of coin on cutting/welding, hardware and the flares themselves. Then you can afford to buy the Volks.

Or why not just use hub centric bolt on spacers?. Just torque them once a month and they should be right. Ive used many on previous cars with no issues.

Have you had a look at performance superlite/challenger wheels in 15x10/16x10 -27 offset quite cheap at $1200 delivered.

#28 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

So, basically this,,,

I have here, in Aus sets of 15x9 in neg 13,  Watanabe Type R exact copies,
$1200 a set includes pstage to you.

depending on your flare width, you could quite eadily fit longer NICE 75 mm wheel studs front and rear, and fit slip on spacers, that would meed to be mechanically attached to your front/rear hubs/drums, using a single c/sunk machine screw into a tapped hole only needs to be about a 5mm thread.
That way the spacer will mot become a flying saucer if you lose a wheel.
The thickness of the spacer, will have some effect on bearing loading, but then again anything wider than a 175 section tyre on a Z will also effect bearing loading.

Race cars have been doing this for many years, different scenario, and they are maintained, as should be yours.

#29 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

As I've said. I really really really like the look of the volk/ rota grids and really don't want to have to compromise (minus paying close on 4k!!!).
In relation to spacers. I'm sure that they're actually fine to use, but the po-po don't think so, and it would also void my insurance = not cool...
I know that some people convert to a 5 stud hub, surely there is something out there that could be adapted that's a couple of centimeters wider???

#30 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

You 'could' cut the old flange off the rear stub axle's & machine up a new 5-stud offset flange and then interference press fit & weld it on.
That's not an uncommon mod for live axle half shafts...

Fronts you'd just convert to early Ford Falcon 5-stud hubs, which are a direct bolt on, onto the std Zed front struts.

#31 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yup that's the conversion. Is it possible for this to give me the extra offset I need? Or is it just for the benefit of being able to use a 5 stud rim?
I'd preffer to stay with a 4 stud as it means I can use the classic jap rims that are 8" as though they were 9".

#32 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

So, basically this,,,

Plus there are 0 tires in the world that are legal in Australia that will fit on this rim.

#33 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Plus there are 0 tires in the world that are legal in Australia that will fit on this rim.

Right!

Plenty around in 225/50, 225/60, etc, both performance as well as longer life. 15" semis eadier to get than 16's as some on here find.
17's with low profile ie 45 or 40 series, also as some find out, after going that way, give a harsh ride, and due to engineered geometry, are not ideal on older cars, like Z's.

You've got flares, you want wide rims that poke out past body shell, you want rubber that will fill out the arch, and fit nicely under the flare without interference.
To do that is gonna cost, and there are not that many rim styles or sizes out there that will fill these requirements on an older car, that does not have modern KPI geometry and wider track width on the hub faces, hence the large availability of positive offset, or close to, rims.

At a neg 13 offsett, a 9" wide rim will poke out past guards, requiring flares. I can email you pics of that sizing on a standard unflared Z bodyshell.
Getting legal road tyres is easy.

#34 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have yet not found a single manufacturer that has a 15" tire that they state is made to go on a 9" wide rim. (that will work on a Z)
If you could show me one it would make my day!

#35 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I have yet not found a single manufacturer that has a 15" tire that they state is made to go on a 9" wide rim. (that will work on a Z)
If you could show me one it would make my day!

245/60/15  also came across some 235/60/15 on ebay.

http://m.ebay.com.au...=WATCHING&sbk=1

#36 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

a 235/60r15 would throw your speedo out by over 5%, I'm fairly sure this is out of the range of legal.

EDIT

Yeah, maximum increase in diameter is 15mm going from a stock tyre of 195/70r14 to 235/60r15 gives 35mm difference.
A 55 series tire seems ideal.

#37 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Your over thinking it. Just get your speedo recalibrated or change out the gearbox sensor gear. S30 speedos aren't that accurate anyway. Do you think a police officer or vicroads officer would know if the speedo was out? You would probably get more negative attention with the flares and fender mirrors than tyre height..

Also 8" wheels would look silly on the back with flares. Just go flare-less. Look how good Mossy's car looks without flares.

#38 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Once again, a darn brickwall with flares...
If i had 8" rims sitting out another inch it would look like a 10" rim with the same offset.

The thing is i want it legal. I know that more than likely noone would ever notice that the combination I have isn't legal,
but if i was to be in an accident for some reason or another, I don't want all the shit involved with having a car that isn't legal.

As far as i can tell, 15x9 rims on a Z = Illegal.

#39 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I think you'll find you're only allowed to increase the total track width of the car by 1", which means you can't do what you want anyway, particuarly if you're defining the maximum 'stock' wheels as 7" that are no where near flush with the stock guards.

Fortunately 10" wheels where a factory option and according to the vicroads documentation that's what matters.

#40 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yes that is the clause i was going off to get me up to the 9" but that doesn't help all the other dimensions (unless they are significantly larger...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users