Rims that will fill out flares

DreamZproject

Hey guys, I'm in the odd situation of wanting to find rims to fill out flares (rather than being forced to run flares

by the rim choice). I really like the look of flares, but don't like the cost of the rims that are generaly needed to

fill them out. The easiest solution would be to buy some 8" (which are are ton cheaper than the 9/10's that are

generaly used on flares) and whack on some spacers. But i really don't want to go for this option for obvious

reasons (legal...).

What I'd like in a wheel is 16"x8" (seems to be a good allround rims size) in a design similar to volk TE37V's/

Rota Grid classics or watanabe type R's and the like. So to fill an 8" rim out to the flare I'd need an offset of

somewhere around -50mm right (pretty extreme???).

Do such things exist?

Otherwise I'll just run fenderless as it saves a ton of money over buying a set of Volk's!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah... I'm starting to think that it probably wont be realistic. Unless i can find a cheaper rim thats around 9"

I don't think it will be possible...

Rota sells a 9" with -10 offset which should be good. But it's a 15" and i think that might be a little on the

doughey side???

I have here, in Aus sets of 15x9 in neg 13,  Watanabe Type R exact copies,

$1200 a set includes pstage to you.

depending on your flare width, you could quite eadily fit longer NICE 75 mm wheel studs front and rear, and fit slip on spacers, that would meed to be mechanically attached to your front/rear hubs/drums, using a single c/sunk machine screw into a tapped hole only needs to be about a 5mm thread.

That way the spacer will mot become a flying saucer if you lose a wheel.

The thickness of the spacer, will have some effect on bearing loading, but then again anything wider than a 175 section tyre on a Z will also effect bearing loading.

Race cars have been doing this for many years, different scenario, and they are maintained, as should be yours.

The steelies on this looks somewhat bad ass an di know you can pick them up brand new for about

$500 for a whole set.

http://zilvia.net/f/z-chassis/446471-my-sr20det-240z-build.html

But I'm not 100% sure that it will suit the look I'm after, and doesn't it become pretty difficult to turn

the wheels when you have 10 inches of rubber and no power steering? Is 9-10" too unmanageable?

The steelies on this looks somewhat bad ass an di know you can pick them up brand new for about

$500 for a whole set.

[url=http://zilvia.net/f/z-chassis/446471-my-sr20det-240z-build.html]http://zilvia.net/f/z-chassis/446471-my-sr20det-240z-build.

Wide steel wheels like that weigh a tonne.  Screw up the handling and slow your acceleration.  That's why they are cheap.

Great to know! thanks for that.

Alright, i guess all i need to know now is how a 9-10 rim negatively effects the car.

It seems as though these are the only sized rims that are going to fill the flares and

if they are too much of a hassle i might unfortunately just have to stick with flareless...

I would be listening to the advice Lurch gave you at the BBQ Robbie. Get the car finished stock and then modify it from there.

You could have the flares fitted when the car is painted and then run stock or RW wheels and tyres for the inspection and a short period afterwards until you find a set of wheels you like. The best piece of advice any person has given me when it comes to working on these old girls is "the poor man pays twice", do it once and do it right!

I should know, I've been guilty of trying to cut corners and believe me when I say it just isn't worth it.

Also for the record anything that is 9" wide and -13 offset (or similar) on the front and 9.5" wide and -19 offset rear will work well. That equates to -25 front and -37 rear if using a 8" wheels all around. Use this site to calculate offsets:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Oh no, i don't mean to buy them yet! I just want to know what the options were for putting under flares...

I'm starting to think that it might just be too expensive to run flares all together. I can't find anything

I like that will fill out the guards for under 2k...

Blah, I've even considered going 15x9's -10

But there are just no tires for them other than the Toyo 888's which are a bit much for a weekend car...

*EDIT*

I've found that 225/50/15's are not too expensive and I've found that that Rota's Grid classic come in sizes (in 15")

right up to 9" -10

http://www.rotawheels.com.au/wheels/rota-grid-classic

Is this a good option for when i can afford it (not too much at just over $200 per rim and $200 per tire)

I would make these the last things i buy before putting the car on the road.

What sort of problems/ benefits would i come across using this combination?

Is this legal in any way shape or form? it seems as though the manafacturers say that its only fine to have 225/50/15's on

an 8" rim. Blah! any way around this? as there is no larger sizes made any more...

This is tricky shiver.

I dont mean to sound blunt or rude, so please dont take it that way, but,

If you cant afford $2k on wheels, why are you restoring/modding an old car?

As Agno said do it once and do it right, i too have cut corners before and its come back to bite me in the ass, sometimes really hard.

You really are better off working out your expense and sticking to it.

By that i mean, say you decide "Yep, definitely want flares and 10" Wats under it"

You cost it up, $500 flares, $2k rims, $1k rubber ect ect, add 20% because of unexpected costs and you come out at $4200

From that point you have a goal to work towards, ask the boss man for more shifts, get a weekend/evening job stacking shelves ect.

Keep a pic of your car photoshopped how you want it to look in your wallet or on your phone so you have your 'motivation' close at hand, and before you know it, you'll have the cash you need to get what you want.

Anything left over from your 20% unexpected costs fund then gets put in as the start of saving for the next bit, eg paint, interior, hectic turbo ect.

If i could suggest though, do it in this order.

Get it running and registered,

Make it look good,

Make it stop,

Make it handle,

Make it go.

I don't know if there are many people on here that would have spent over 2k just on rims...

Basically just costing it up to see if i can get the flares on before it all gets painted. As Lurch said

he's a little hesitant to cut into a panel thats been recently properly painted. I guess it's probably easier

to just abandon the dream of flares, but was just checking if there was a way to get something that I

like under 2k.

I know i can get rota RBX's 17"x9.5" for a little over 1k, just no the exact rims i was after (the Rota grids)

Was just wondering if someone knew of another brand that looks similar in a more suitable fitment, or if

there was a legal way around stretched tyres etc etc.

the numbers i pulled out were just examples.

but, if you want to open up your rim choice, convert to 5 stud.

You'll find a LOT of options from skylines,supras,ect anything 5x114.3 that will fill out your flares nicely.

Its not a 'cheap' process, but you only really need to do it once.

Or use 4 to 5 stud bolt on spacers like i did (dodgy) ;D

I don't know if there are many people on here that would have spent over 2k just on rims...

Basically just costing it up to see if i can get the flares on before it all gets painted. As Lurch said

he's a little hesitant to cut into a panel thats been recently properly painted. I guess it's probably easier

to just abandon the dream of flares, but was just checking if there was a way to get something that I

like under 2k.

I know i can get rota RBX's 17"x9.5" for a little over 1k, just no the exact rims i was after (the Rota grids)

Was just wondering if someone knew of another brand that looks similar in a more suitable fitment, or if

there was a legal way around stretched tyres etc etc.

Every person on here with Watanabes, work meisters/equip, CCW wheels etc would have spent over 2k just on rims.. listen to what others have said as they have been through it. Either cut flares first and worry about wheels later or don't go flares at all and have a wider range of wheels to choose from. There is a reason most people go for watanabe or rota rbx/rkr is because there is not much else that would fit and fill our flares without bolt on spacers. Deals do pop up occasionally on ebay and gumtree, so start saving so you can jump on it when they do.

How far away are you from painting your car? Come over and have a look at my Z and see whether you like the flares/fitment and decide from there.

We really don't have the hugest option when it comes to rims...

Ok well seeing as though there's no real way around getting tires for a 15x9 thats legal I'll

Probably have to start fenderless, then at some point where I can find a set of te37's cheap

Enough (yeah right) I'll take my chances and get the flares cut :/

It's sill how rota makes a rim that is impossible to be run legally in Australia when they could

Easily step it up to a 16" and open up a whole market of buyers. They already have the 16"ers

They only go up to 8" though. .. :/

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! you actually found some tires that fit!!!

Thank you very much, this information I thought didn't exist. This might just help solve my problem...

Hmmm on second look, none of these will have an appropriate rolling diameter... I think a 255/60/15 would be too big

compared to stock and a 295/50/15 would be similar, but like a flabby cousin...

Nup, I think wide 15's are really out. :/