Triple Dellortos ready to install

Toecutter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

blow by blow account please. Dont make me wait for a today tonight special on a "car tuner in victoria goes on a murderous rampage after his carbs dont tune correctly and we have exclusive pictures ".

;D

Give us a yell if you need any advice or anything with them sulio.

Mine aren't tuned exactly how I would like them.

But i guess I am one of a few that has put tripple delortos into their zed.

Your first step will be modifying your exisiting accelerator linkage to suit?

• 5 months later...

Well it's been some time but finally got a chance to install my tripples. To my surprise once installed they started and idled with no adjustments. Took the car for a spin and found it smoked more than usual and sounded like it was running rich. Photo below of my dirty engine bay. Disregard all the tempararily blocked off lines. Next move is to remove the A/C and all the unecassary piping in the engine bayy to clean the motor up a bit and have a go at tuning the carbs. Oh definately need to change the dodgy flexible Lynx rose joints.

post-4-14402348339_thumb.jpg

Hi Sulio,

Congradulations on the latest edition to your car. Remember that Dellortos like about 2.5 psi fuel pressure. You can also change the bango fitting on the last carb to allow fuel to return to the tank through a small restriction , to reduce pressure on the needle and seats when the engine is turned off.

post-176-144023483393_thumb.jpg

sulio ; You didnt talk about the sound i mean the ... Grrrrr sound. There should be a law against it. In fact i am going outside to start my car up again.  ;D

Congrats in getting them on and getting them started. I know what a B$%^ they can be...  But the increase in performance is superb. You'll love it.

One question : how's the strut bar clearance on your linkage . Been thinking of putting a strut bar but the linkage is quite high.

enzo250gto : thanks for the tip will follow on mine .

Insert Quote

well they look sweet, your almost there if the car starts and idles. Did you buy this setup brandnew or secondhand. What sort of $ are we looking at here if you dont mind me asking

I bought these used from an Italian fella that sell them on e-bay. All up the set up has cost me about $1100.00 to date that is with carbs, manifold, linkage kit, soft mounts, trumpets. However, from my understanding you can spend that much quite easily on proper dyno tuning once installed.

Hi Sulio,

Congradulations on the latest edition to your car. Remember that Dellortos like about 2.5 psi fuel pressure. You can also change the bango fitting on the last carb to allow fuel to return to the tank through a small restriction , to reduce pressure on the needle and seats when the engine is turned off.

Thanks David, Yer well I have them running from the mechanical pump. I've noticed some time ago I also have a fueflow sensor inline between the pump and carbs. I do not believe it's a factory item so most likely remove it.

It regards to the small fitting I noticed it and I've plugged the reurn line. I'll look up the Italian fella for that lst fitting.

sulio ; You didnt talk about the sound i mean the ... Grrrrr sound.

Yer they do sound pretty good. Scare small children away!  ;D Thestrutt bar clear easily as the carbs sit lower than the SU's.

Cheers,

Sulio

I bought these used from an Italian fella that sell them on e-bay. All up the set up has cost me about $1100.00 to date that is with carbs, manifold, linkage kit, soft mounts, trumpets. However, from my understanding you can spend that much quite easily on proper dyno tuning once installed.

well i know where my tax check will be going this year thats a good price, i have heard quotes of around $200 per carby for setting them up. HArd to shop around for that sort of thing and to know where to go.

After reading up on how to set up my tripples and doing some research on various forums I put everything in a spread sheet for reference sake. I thought it might help some others regarding a basic set up stage. Please note I am only using this info to get to a starting point as far as set up goes. Should you have some info to add or corrections please advise as it will help. Most of the info provided is from the book by "Des Hammill", on "How to Build & Power Tune Weber & Dellorto Carbs". All he info on the sheet is in reference to DHLA40's. I hope others might be able to provide more info on their respective set ups.

Sulio

I could'nt attach it as an excel file so it's PDF. PM me if you want the Excel sheet..

2185_.pdf

Flow figures!? My guess is your just jiving, this is the info I'm starting with and hoping to build on by trial and error as I go. I'll keep updating this spreadsheet as I go with more reading, advice and trial and error...and with all that hopefully it does'nt wear down my patients before getting them running to a reasonable level. Once the motor is rebuilt I will have no qualms about getting them proffessionally tuned but I don't want to do that twice so I'll just have a crack at it my self for the time being.

Cheers,

Sulio

joshing mate !

Yeh the tuner i went to wants to see the car after i put the n42 head on and exhaust as well as the ram tubes . He reckons that they will need a retune. Anyway once that is done i'll send you the updates to the needles and stuff. ( he reckons i could go higher but i dont know looked at my plugs to day and they literally dripped in fuel ! )

yeh I have thought about it. In fact only this morning!! I have decided to change the jet size down to 55 ( i got them as well at the same time ) and/or change the fuel pressure as well. Getting some spit back in traffic. At present fuel pressure is 5 psi  which is too much (could have a contributing factor ) and i think Enzo250 on here said something about 2.5 psi and a restricted return line. PLus as you say they are very big.

However when she is on cam the car handles ... rather well.  ;D ;D

Great work on the pdf. Should become almost a bible of settings like the efi one on hybridz.

Just done it mick ! Got back from a 90 km run spitting and all that ( rush hour ) switched the psi down to 2.60 psi ( dont have a restrictor yet need to get a double banjo fitting for that last carb ) and already the carbs are happier. Just that tweak alone added 500 hp at least! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well after plenty of messing about to get linkages correct, (I ended up ditching the Links manifold and plastic rose joints and buying a new Redline manifold and metal 5/16UNF rose joints I have set my tripples up and got them running better than the SU's with minimal headaches as far as set up went. My 240 SU's were a nice inprovement on the the old flat tops in terms of both power and reliability. The Tripples have been a jump on that again to my surprise considering its a stock L28 in need of a rebuild.

Since my last post on this topic I have installed the air bleed restrictors Mick74 truned up for me which fit very nicely. I also installed 130 main jets. The engine cold starts very easily with no requirement for chokes although I might install a cable for them one day see how I go. Engines idles as low as 500rpm but I've got it idling at 900rpm atm. Acceleration seems nice from down low with a very nice power band at higher revs there is no obvious bog down or spitting at the carbs. I am still running the 7222.10 emmulsion tubes which I would like to replace with 7222.7 but this will be a fine tuning exercise as I'm very happy with the way she goes atm. any gains will be icing on the cake.

I do have one question. I have been advised by many to aim for idle mixture screw to be between 1 to 1.5 turns out and I have mine running at 1 turn out and running nicely. However the Des Hammil book advises they should be 3 to 3.5 turns out for Dells!??? 

Anyhow for anybody that might be inetersted I have listed my final set up below. As already mentioned the engine is an L28, stock cam, elec dizzy working at 12 deg advance.

Engine L28, Carb Model DHLA40L

Chokes                   32mm

Aux Venturi      7848.3

Main Jet                   130

Air Correctors      195

Emmulsion Tube      7772.10.

Idel Jet                     60

Idel Jet Air Correctors  0.9mm fixed thanks to Mick74

Accel Pump Jet      38

Cheers,

Sulio

funny you posting this today.

I am having no end of troubles with my setup and on the weekend i have done the following.

Engine L24( Very Very sick more info in my build up area ), Carb Model DHLA40H ( also called emission carb )

Chokes                    I looked couldnt see the stamping

Aux Venturi        Not known

Main Jet                  130

Air Correctors        180

Emulsion Tube        7772.10.

Idle Jet                      50 and also 55 ( 65's gone to a friend of mine running a 202 ) 55's currently.

Idle Jet Air Correctors  0.9mm fixed thanks to Mick74 ( me too )

Accel Pump Jet        not known

I too have heard the 1.5 turns for the mixtures. However i counted the turns that the tuner put in and they are set at around 5 - 6 ( I have a piece of paper with exact turns if you want it ) . Either way ... too much fuel/not enough air  at 1.5 turns. Taking the day off on tuesday ( no neighbours about ) and will be testing further.

If your car is running sweet enough with the 1- 1.5 turns then dont phaff about with it I reckon.

Thanks guys. Modular I noticed the Des HAmmill book says 3 to 4 turn re idle mixture screw but that is for non emmission type. Emmision type like ours should be running between 1 to 1.5 turn from bottom. Any more required means you need bigger idle jets and any less means jets are too big from my understanding. Modular I thing you need to first work out what all the components you have are and go from there. I know a bit of a bummer after spending dollars already.

Sulio