DIY ITB

DreamZproject

Hmmm after researching DIS a bit more. Pun intended.

I think it may be easier to use that 280z distributor you were talking about before i

choose to go on and use a DIS system (at least until i get the car running and decide

to change it). How does this effect what parts i will need?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3800 i'm guess is the commodore V6?

Your shopping list doesn't have any allowance for machining or welding the injector bungs on, a surge tank, efi fuel hose, fuel pressure regulator or air filters.

yup i had them in the back of my head, but they are all incidentals (i suppose besides the injector bungs and the welding of them).

Ahhhhh I see, its the displacement of the engine no? 3800 = 3.8L engine? Anyway, i won'e be going down this route just yet anyway.

For now I'll stick with the seemingly more simple 280z distributor way.

Oh, and what are peoples idea's on the best sort of filtration? I want to run this car as a semi often driver able

to take most conditions (ie no open trumpets). Are the K&N style filters on the end of each throttle body ok. (ie.

not running the velocity stacks, but a spacer running to its own individual filter)?

From what I've researched, it seems that having an airbox over the trumpets/ spacer with a CAI type air ram

gives pretty decent results with all the protection you need for a daily driver.

Yes, 3800 is the engine desgination/displacement.

You will want to run the velocity stacks regardless of what you do for filtration. The velocity stacks actually serve a great purpose in helping the enter and accelerate through the intake runners.

Personally while I love the like the look of individual filters (most of the time), I would on my own cars use either a single filter to feed all of the throttle bodies or do no less than a pair to a filter. The reason being is that it takes some effort to start to pull air through the filter. When a single cylinder has it's own filter the air passing through it is starting and stopping, causing the initial start to the ingestion by the engine to be the most difficult. If cylinders are at least paired up, there is usually the paired cylinder either at the beginning or end of it's period of intake open, or very near to, and this will promote the air to still be flowing through the filter, making it easier for the next ingestion cycle to pull in the air that it needs. With a single filter feeding all of the cylinders there is virtually always a constant pull of air through the filter making it very easy for all of the cylinders to pull in the air they need, without the starting and stopping of air flow through the filter.

Yeah I decided I'd make my own airbox for it.

Okay. I think delco is the way to go. I don't understand 100% exactly what obd1 vs obd2 is about

But I trust your judgement on going obd1. Either way if I end up for some annoying reason not

Doing itbs ill definitely use a delco over an aftermarket ecm. Its just so much cheaper! What is

The best way about getting everything I need to run a tuneable delco for my set up?

Yeah I decided I'd make my own airbox for it.

Okay. I think delco is the way to go. I don't understand 100% exactly what obd1 vs obd2 is about

But I trust your judgement on going obd1. Either way if I end up for some annoying reason not

Doing itbs ill definitely use a delco over an aftermarket ecm. Its just so much cheaper! What is

The best way about getting everything I need to run a tuneable delco for my set up?

OBD = On Board Diagnostics

The 1 and 2 are designations of compliance to SAE/governmental regulations.

For North America (I believe it was similar in other countries/continents) OBD1 was up to 1995, and OBD2 started in 1995 and is the current diagnostics systems that every manufacturer needs to adhere to (At least in North America). I know there is a distinction between OBD1 and OBD2 standards in Australian, but I don't know the specifics. I have picked up this info through websites dealing with EFI tuning in many different countries.

The best thing you can do is follow the links I have posted, read about other people's conversions, and see what's available. I use Moates' products for my tuning hardware (www.moates.net). If I were in your shoes I would either run an '808 and $12P code (found at the pcmhacking.com site) since there is a board that can be installed is supposed to give some real time auto tuning ability, and flash through the OBD port, as opposed to using a separate EPROM emulator.

That being said as far as I'm concerned the Delco ECM is tunable in stock form, it just takes a programmer, and a UV eraser, along with some software, but is the long harder way to do it, datalogging, then programming an EPROM, swapping, rinse and repeat. I prefer using Emulators, for the price they save a LOT of time, and can be left in permanently if you wish. I have been running my car this way for about 5 years now.

For tuning software I use Tuner Pro RT (www.tunerpro.net), which is a free download and Mark greatly appreciates the $39 donation that will also get rid of the 10 second nag window at software start up.

Ah this is perfect thanks six shooter! Decoy, i spoke to a very wise man today and i quote;

"you are goingto have a million other thing you are going to need money on, simply to get the car on the

road! Just start with a set of carbs".

You know, it just makes sense! I'll put my build together so it is capable of running efi in the not too

distant future so i can save my dosh and get the car on the road first.

I expect that going to efi will be an absolute minimum of 2 years away, as i can't see getting the car on

the road within a year (minimum).

I'll remember this tread at some point in the future guys and one day I'll get around to doing it! For now

I truly thank everyone who logically talked through all of this. I really have a solid idea in my head now

of how it would be done, but for the moment, it's for another day.

Watch this space in a few of years time.... :D

Nothing wrong with getting the info. But why are carbs suddenly this miracle cheap solution?

Robbie was down at the Classic Japan car show last week end asking all the guys lots of questions, this is more where he's made the decision.

Crazy I know... Imagine actually talking with people rather than looking at a computer screen or mobile device!

• Administrators

Ahh yes, something every newbie should be encouraged to do. Come down have a chat and meet people in person. Sometimes ideas and things get lost in translation over the Internet. Meeting people and seeing different cars and different builds can help solidify ideas.

Meeting people and seeing different cars and different builds can help solidify ideas.

That's exactly what Robbies dad was saying about each of the Z's their. "They are all different, you'd think that there would be a formula that works and everyone would do that".

Truth is, there is no formula as everyones requirement, taste and budgets are different. And that's whats so great with these cars.

There are recipes that are all very close to the same though...

16" or 17"Watanabes (or similar), with ZG flares, L28ET or LSx swap, MSA type 1, 240Z bumpers, BRE style wing, Toyota front brakes or Willwood (AZC), 280ZX rear disc conversion or Wilwood (AZC), R200 with Z31 CV conversion, on coil overs.

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of variety when it comes to how these cars are modified. Sure there is the occasional exception, but for the most part if they aren't stock you can bet there is a majority of common recipe parts involved.

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of variety when it comes to how these cars are modified. Sure there is the occasional exception, but for the most part if they aren't stock you can bet there is a majority of common recipe parts involved.

exactly why i am in the process of fitting a BF falcon dashboard, HSV guard flutes, twin 15" subs, pantera hatch with TV moulded into the underside, 22" chrome spinners and 3.8L buick v6 engine conversion with 460LE shift kitted auto box.

Personally i think the underbody neons and full length body graphics will really set it off.

Its going to be epic!!!

• Moderators

exactly why i am in the process of fitting a BF falcon dashboard, HSV guard flutes, twin 15" subs, pantera hatch with TV moulded into the underside, 22" chrome spinners and 3.8L buick v6 engine conversion with 460LE shift kitted auto box.

Personally i think the underbody neons and full length body graphics will really set it off.

Its going to be epic!!!

You forgot the DVD screens in the doors, and back of the seats (even in a two seater)