QLD LAPZ 2014

be-zed

The Quinn Boy's : went up against them in 2004 in Queensland Raceway Saturday sprint series . Tony wiped the floor with me then ,hate to think what he would do now.

Looks like we have some sponsor support from LIQUI MOLY,MEGUARIES,MOTOR ACTIVE and others . But I am not sure what's on offer . It may be all for the 2015 Easter event ,but they will be flying flags on the day . So our engines may run well and the cars will look great.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried pm'ing with out reply so far,

I dont want to prepay as im still getting my car ready and dont want to shell out $300 and then not be able to make it.

Can i pay on the day at the gate?

Cheers Doug

• 2 weeks later...

the 17th is on the QR calendar as general practice day for the Top Gear meet on the 18th.

So Lapz was never going to happen?

Prac day for Top Gear racing  next day would not be able to fit the events proposed.

I'm racing at the two QR and one Lakeside meetings later in year, Hysterics/TranzAms/Clubmans Gp N and Gp S&T,

No need for CAMS licence!

LapZ was going to happen, the track was booked and all arrangements were in place. QR has changed it's pricing and conditions since the last LapZ which does not help any club trying to run such an event, the financial risk can be quite severe.

Bugger.

Maybe lack of entries?

Any mention whether it will still be a Lakeside Sprints day?

Had a total of about 20 entries and they needed 60 to be viable.

was sent a email last night about a track day that the bmw kids are having on the 9th but my car wont be ready by then :(.

Can i borrow the 280z jase?

Had a total of about 20 entries and they needed 60 to be viable.

was sent a email last night about a track day that the bmw kids are having on the 9th but my car wont be ready by then :(.

Can i borrow the 280z jase?

Join the queue!

You're fourth on the list!

As usual with QR/Lakeside events, the vast majority enter within the final two weeks, ie not keen to enter months in advance,

A small pre-commitment payment, as has been done with other events elsewhere may work?

The 20 entries , assuming, would have been the usual gaggle of Morgan Parkers, the rest would have been the Maybe's and the Last Minuters.

What is QR now charging to hire Lakeside, last i heard, $15.000 a day. Divide that among 60, it gets very pricey per entrant.

Better to tack onto a pre planned Sprints day, and buy a "grid" or two, ie 15-30 cars, much less financial risk. Suggested before, but no intersts, oh well.

Are HANS going to be required by all Sprints entrants at MP for a National event in 2015?

Whats that gonna do for entry numbers!

Be a real shame if red tape and rules gets in the way.

There is nothing stopping an informal get together on a particular day at Lakeside, I've been quiet because the Z is out of action and will be for a while. Another LapZ like we have enjoyed in the past is pretty well stuffed due to QR having made such an event too difficult for the club on several levels. And it is not only us, other clubs have the same problems eg BMW flat out filling a much cheaper weekday sprint.

It's a pity that this forum is not used more to organise an informal get together or two at Lakeside  :(

The mx5 club has no problems making money on their events.

6 track days a year at both lakeside and qr. Qr days generally half day and lakeside at least half are full day. They get 45 to 60 cars at each day and a minimum of 5 runs in a half day event and at least 10 runs on a full day lakeside event. Cost is $120 for members and the club a good profit over the year.

They run 4 groups from the quick street cars and race cars, sub 64's at lakeside. Quickest cars are in the 58's and the odd rocket in the 55's if one of the 2b rocket ships come out for a test session. The fourth group is for first timers and cars doing generally 70seconds and up at Lakeside.

The group's work well and the cars sort themselves out pretty quick so no-one is held up, unless you want to have a play.

The days are held on a monday which doesn't seem to worry people as the dates are known well in advance so a day off work can be organised.

BMW guys running on 9th are up for $6k to hire, they have just, just scraped in the prepaid minimum, if not, they pull the pin, but need to give min 2 weeks notice otherwise, their deposit is lost.

Or depisit is transferred to another day later in year, cant recall

To hire it on a Sat or a Sun, its $15,000

It just gets very hard, especially to a club rhat has very few, ie 20 or so, regular runners, to garner enough extra " once a year/come and try's"

There just isnt the depth in the Qld Z fraternity to get enough runners at a one off.

Of the 120 entrants at each of the eight rounds at Morgan Park sprints, approx 20 are Z regulars, at only four weekends over the whole year.

I can get pretty well any of these Z's an invite, to any of the three future QR/Lakeside events, that the HRCC will be attending, they are not "pure" Historic events, and QRO are running them.

Last time the invite went out, response,,,, Zero!

The invite is there, again for 2014, for these events later in the year.

Sorry, it wont be a LapZ, but at least it is something.

Matt, any idea what the mx5 club gets charged for a Monday at Lake?

I think the Bimmer guys were a bit pricey at $200 per car, for a Friday!

No idea, but would be standard track hire rates for the day or half day.

The club also is willing to subsidise the track days for the one or two a a year that may just break even or not quite get there in terms of making a dollar, but they are turning a good profit. They also welcome non club members who pay an extra $20 over members or if you pay on the day, member or not, its $165.

The days are run where non members are generally by invitation, or known to members rather than opening it up to open slather which keeps the dickheads down to a manageable level so we may get one or two cars in a year badly damaged, rather than every event for some hirers, and that means no delays on the track.

Since I have been doing track days with the MX5 club over the last 5 years or so I know of only one write off, and about a dozen cars that have been damaged, but still driveable, at Lakeside.

I'm not sure it is a problem, but most in the club who do the track days are more than happy to be track day warriors and big fish in a little pond rather than step up to more organised events like supersprints and door to door racing. There are a few who are doing the midweek street sprints as well as the track days and one or two also do the open sprints run by QR.

It works for the club and makes a bit of money for them.

I'm sure if the Zed club wanted to, if they made an approach to the MX5 club to have a run at one of the track days they would be welcomed as it all helps with costs.

Excellent idea,

Z club of Qld, get in touch with the 5xm'ers, and "hire" a grid/block on the day.

Or is there some readon why not,,,,,,?

could work well. PCQ would do this with the HSV club. only a tiny fraction of the HSV club was interested in circuit work (compared to the drag days..) so they were quite readily 'adopted' into the PCQ days. quite a sight seeing a VY V8 supercar go toe to toe with cupcars etc.

though PCQ has doubled the price for their trackdays this year so don't take too much inspiration from them..  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to apologise to all those that wished to attend the proposed Lapz event on the 17May for its cancellation. I have been overseas for the pass 5 weeks and was not part of the decision making process to cancel the event.If you have processed entry forms and forwarded them to the ZCCQ and have not received a refund you need to contact them(ZCCQ) directly . There seems to be talk of an event to replace  Lapz some where down the track ,but I do not have any information on what that may be or when.

Again sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused over this event cancellation.