11 replies to this topic

#1 Mr260z

Mr260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

I dropped into a tyre shop today to see what they would have to suit my Zed.
The only rims I liked and they said would fit perfectly were 17inch but I haven't really seen many 17's on Zeds.
Will they really fit with no mods?
Will the size look alright?
Or does the tyre joint not know what there talking about ?

Sorry if all my answers are already here but I couldn't find em.

#2 zed240au

zed240au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Personally I think 17 look good on a zed If you get right offset they will work fine I have had 17 on my 240z currently running 18 which work as well

Mick

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

With what profile sidewall height tyres?
Something really low like a 40 series, to retain close-ish to stock rolling diameter?

That will have no sidewall flex, and no ability to absorb some road undulation/surface roughness.
With a 40 year old suspension geometry design that will just not keep a hard sidewalled 40 or 45 series profile  tyre in full contact with the road surface at all times due to weight transfer/body roll/harsh braking.

Fitting very hard minimal movement springs ( race car type) and full adjustable suspension arms, will enable the tread surface to stay in full contact with the road surface, but give you one heck of a bone jarring ride.

Modern cars today do have the suspension geometry to combine the use of 17's/18's/19's with low tyres, and keeps them in contact.

Car will look good, but ask the trye/wheel retailer, ( who has a vested interest in one thing -getting your money out of your pocket) what will very low profile tyres do for my handling, with my suspension geometry in a 40 year old car. ( dont ask the 20 something kid behind counter, ask the shop owner)

Purely from experience, an engineering background, and hearing the stories of Rim, Dish, Rubber & Woe.
Go for at least a 50 series sidewall tyre, on the 17's, car will sit higher, have some flex, and be a larger rolling diameter.

#4 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

17's fit without any issues; if you have road tyres fitted, they do give a nice firm ride. I have 225-45x17's and they clear with rolled lips on the rear. Good thing about +2's, they have ample room in the rear quarters for wide rims.

#5 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

this is a set of 17x7 performance lotus on my 260z very low profile tyres not sure what off my head. looking at the 16x9s on the sale items now so may be for sale in near future. They were a popular correct offset (no spacers) modern z wheel a little while ago. I like them but prefer the jdm watanabe,superlight, rota rb look. Just not sure i can cut metal and put the flairs on........a very tough call :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 38488_feea50f53a1f4db73bdf402a1c5c667ed7e8b535.jpg

#6 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

better view of profile, clearance and wheel style :) 

Attached Thumbnails

• 38490_8a1847ed8f1c4a493fa462dca292230543fcf95e.jpg

#7 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

I have same wheels as 74zzz on a2+2. 235x45x17 which means very cheap rubber as it matches the old Commodore/falcon.
See photos in my signature link.

#8 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

ride is stiff to solid:) Jason is right! with front camber can be a little sketchy in the cornering dept.....

#9 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

apologies for high jacking this thread but jason- i just read you have some wat copies you would consider letting go? might come and have a look after my next gap creek ride if they are still around. Also, struggling with the arch cutting dilemma-and you've been in the game for a while- you think future z owners will be wanting to ring the necks of people who installed flares? not sure whether to stay classic or go plastic......

#10 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yes, give me a ring, next time you are riding at crazy speeds down dirt trails!
We can throw some of the Wata copies on my Z so you ca see what will be required.

I am more a fan of a slightly higher sidewall, to allow that to flex in order to keep tread section more contact with road. Look at current V8 Taxi's and Formula cars!
When you conduct a dummy assemble of both front and rear, with no springs fitted, and look at the changes in camber and toe, along with the effect of bumpsteer, the changes in camber cause the tread surface on a stiff liw profiled sidewall tyre ie 40 series and less, to loose contact.
In a critical situation, not the ideal, if it came to a forensic situation, it would be declared as vehicle illegal due to modification, and if mod plated and engineered, the forensic divisions of the various authourities would well and truly over-ride and engineering approvals.

As noted above, some find their rides a bit darty, and thats with 45's!

#11 Mr260z

Mr260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info guys

#12 Scottz

Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

I just bought some 17" rims and tyres from Ozzy Tyres about 1 hour ago, for another car project (not the zed).
http://www.ozzytyres...l-tyre-packages
I did a lot of digging around and Ozzy guarantee to beat any other price, so once I got the best price I went back to Ozzy and they beat it, plus delivered.
I also rang their tech (1300 699 699) and got him to check offset and overall diameter for a few combinations before making the final decision.
Now just have to wait 2 days for delivery.
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users