Vorn's 920 Gold 240Z

vorn70

Did you keep the strut top isolators?  Did they need to be modified for the thicker threaded section on top of the yellow's shaft?

Roger

I hand filed the "D" shaped hole very carefully to make a circle and just the right size. It was like being a apprentice again. It all fitted up well I'm not sure if you can get them the right size but mine seem OK, only time will tell.

What are you doing for a parking brake?

Sorry, I can't seem to find the manual anywhere.

I was just going to go with a hydraulic park brake but I have changed my mind and now going with a mechanical set up from AZC so as you can probably see I will have to change the mount, but when I got my kit the mechanical set up wasn't ready now nearly 2 years later I can get it so I will back track and fit them up they should arrive in the next couple of weeks. I must say AZC have be excellent to deal with and have done all they can to assist Jeff and I with our brake packages. Thanks for following my build Peter I really thought no one would be interested in the way I was going about things, with so many great cars having build threads and some very talented builders.

Hey Vorn,

In regards to the size of the front rotor do you think you could have gone up another 10mm in diameter without having any clearance problems?

I have 16" wheels and there is not a real lot of room the caliper is fairly close and I know different rims can make a difference to the clearance. I can take some measurements tomorrow and I will post some pictures on Monday.

• Moderators

Thanks for following my build Peter I really thought no one would be interested in the way I was going about things, with so many great cars having build threads and some very talented builders.

Hi, you may well find there are plenty of us following your build, but just sitting quietly on the sideline enjoying watching your progress. Keep up the great work

Cheers

PB

I get what you mean about not getting any comments. That's why i stopped posting my build on here because i got hardly any comments.

On the brake setup i'm running 16x9.5 watanabe R-Types so they should be pretty close for spacing.

Hey Vorn,

In regards to the size of the front rotor do you think you could have gone up another 10mm in diameter without having any clearance problems?

I have taken some rough measurements and photos (iphone) the disc clearance is about 40mm and the caliper clearance is around 25MM. my mate has this brake set up with 16X8" watts and it clears OK. I hope this helps, if you need anymore info just PM me

post-1648-144023744679_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744687_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744695_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744703_thumb.jpg

Hi, you may well find there are plenty of us following your build, but just sitting quietly on the sideline enjoying watching your progress. Keep up the great work

Cheers

PB

Thanks PB if people keep looking I'm happy to post. I know what you mean I spent 3 years looking through and following build threads and getting tips from Lurch & Ledge and many other members to help my build. These shots shoe the front guard and sugar scoop fit up. I don't know about anyone else but this was much harder to get right than I thought it would be.

post-1648-144023744711_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744718_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I know what you mean I spent 3 years looking through and following build threads and getting tips from Lurch & Ledge and many other members to help my build.

Exactly, other than when I was helping out at Lurch's workshop day I have hardly put spanner to a Z in years, lits of other cars but no Z's  :(

Mine is currently getting the body sorted out, then once that is done it will up to Sydney for an L28 and Manual conversion. So for now I am reading every thread and growing my knowledge base.  :)

• Administrators

I'm playing along at home also, but also updating my own build thread - even if it's basic stuff since I think it will help others who might be even more newbie than me ;).

I am watching all your updates but sometimes I don't want to reply because it just adds noise to the thread if you know what I mean?

Keep up the good work.

I have taken some rough measurements and photos (iphone) the disc clearance is about 40mm and the caliper clearance is around 25MM. my mate has this brake set up with 16X8" watts and it clears OK. I hope this helps, if you need anymore info just PM me

Thanks mate it's exactly what i wanted to know.

well she is finally on her wheels after 2 &1/2 years. I can now move the car around on her wheels. I'm one step closer to getting it in the booth for a coat paint. I think I will need to roll the guards to make sure the tyres clear. I'm just happy to see the car on the ground.

post-1648-144023744736_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744743_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Mate. That must be a satisfying mile stone.

I enjoy your updates, they are well detailed and being watched by many I'm sure.

Keep up the good work, it's coming along great.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks George & Mick. Well the blocking down is complete. I took a week off work and with the weekends at both ends, my good mate and I were able to finish blocking down of all the panels and seal them up. The lines all look good on the car but the proof will be when she get that final coat of jam. I'm so glad this part is over I'm sick of wearing a dusk mask and sweeping up all the time with that fine dust covering everything.

post-1648-144023744865_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744871_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023744877_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Can't wait to see how the paint turns out, I'm not looking forward to the copious amounts of sanding required on mine either...

Another milestone achieved  :)

Can't wait to see it with a nice shiny top coat.  me too 8)

Happy Days  8)

Can't wait to see how the paint turns out, I'm not looking forward to the copious amounts of sanding required on mine either...

It's hard waiting for the top coat but I know the paint will only be as good as the prep work. It was hard work making sure all the lines of the car were as good as they could be. It's hard to see what the colour will look like until it is on but the next up date should give some idea.

Well I had some more progress with some colour around the doors and windows so we can put the car together ready for it's final paint. As you can see I have the Heat Lamps going to keep it all warm, I'm sure I can hear my electricity meter spinning around. 

post-1648-144023745443_thumb.jpg

post-1648-14402374545_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023745457_thumb.jpg

Well the old girl is back together ready to go off for a paint. With heaps of help from Jeff I have the car ready for paint. It has been a long hard road to get this far and there were some day when I thought it would never happen. I had trouble getting the doors right, and the fit is not perfect. This is my fault for not fitting them when I replaced the dog legs. But this is all part of doing my first resto, and the mistakes I have made tell the story of my journey so far.

post-1648-144023746166_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023746174_thumb.jpg

post-1648-14402374618_thumb.jpg

post-1648-144023746187_thumb.jpg