5 replies to this topic

#1 aussie240z

aussie240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Not quite a "race" but 2500 kms in 7 days, over 75% on dirt, gravel and sometimes nearly goat tracks. The zed entered with a little over 400km on it and went through all that was on offer, loosening up each day and really enjoying the experience.
As a fundraiser for Camp Quality, our team 95 cars) raised over $127k and collectively the 60 or so cars raised over $1.1 million.
The trip included long days (some over 12 hours to do around 550km) and visiting various schools along the way for education about kids with cancer.
An amazing  week with some pretty incredible cars (1959 Morris minor (with datsun 1200 engine and auto gearbox), a 1975 rolls royce and a wide range of holdens, fords and more.
the route started in Bundaberg in Queensland, went to Dalby, then Lisome, Coffs Harbour, Muswellbrook, Bathurst (including two laps of Mt Panorama) then on to finish in Wollongong.
Thanks to the forum embers who helped out with a few items (towbars, wheels etc), happy to say I didn't need the towing out at any stage and the amazing roads, both tarmac and dirt were a joy (most of the time) to drive on.
if you ever get the chance, zed or other car, a great event and a very worthwhile charity.
Ian
Car240

Attached Thumbnails

• 37858_bd10079a1e978d133bb425d37a97070620bc584a.jpg

#2 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Well done Ian, A really deserving charity
Glad you didn't need the towbar.

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,382 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Good to see a Z out doing what it does best!

#4 aussie240z

aussie240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

yes, the zed excelled, lots of tight roads, lots of fun and definitely glad to not have any issues along the way though had prepared the car for most eventualities.
I did have some ask me 'what is that car?" Answered a zed, then it was, do you think you will make it?? Two days later, i went past busted holden... guess who? yep,. the ones that asked what i was driving. Even the 1958 morris minor (with the datto engine) lasted the whole trip - and they drove from the southern highlands all the way up to Bundaberg to start the event.
Definitely a great cause, so already thinking of next years event - looking like Broken Hill to somewhere in Victoria via the Barossa.  :D

#5 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,382 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

I did have some ask me 'what is that car?" Answered a zed, then it was, do you think you will make it??

Haha, they probably thought it was an English sports car, in which case it probably wouldn't have made it.

#6 aussie240z

aussie240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

there were so many old holdens and fords that the site of something "unusual" was a little offputting I suspect - thus the question about how long we might last, and we proved them wrong too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users