• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hehehe...sorry Lurch! I'm still amazed I just found that out recently! I'll give full credit to you....

#22 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

hmm, ok well my hilux callipers with rear disks are extremely spongy with standard MC, with the 15/16 with only hilux callipers i found it perfect for my style of driving, but with disks rear, i am upgrading to 1", however, I have long term plans for 6 pots, so this will save me having to do it all again later..
But yeh, I guess you SHOULDN'T have any dramas with 15/16 MC.

Still, can you order me one if you can please?

i have a used pair of willwod integra 6r's
is what the nascars run, also for sale i forgot to mention in the thread.
owes approx $1300, very big brakes which are extremely light for any calipers not just this size
can send you pics, have a used set of Hawk pads in them also from what i can gather,have radial mount bracket on them already.
let me know

#23 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

aswell as a New pair of wilwood integra 4r's, same but 4 pots, very very light no pads alot cheaper also...

#24 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Im interested, send me some pics of both to sco_aus@hotmail.com please bud.

#25 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

A bit of extra info regarding suitable pads for the Toyota calipers from 'Ben' in SA:

Bendix data is as follows:
90-96 4-Runner:
http://www.bendix.co...Inner_Outer.gif
Forester/WRX/200SX/Z32/GTR:
http://www.bendix.co...Inner_Outer.gif

Very interesting, especially when you look at the LN65 Hilux (non-vented):
http://www.bendix.co...mages/DB288.gif

It makes me wonder whether there is more compatibility there than meets the eye...

#26 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

Well I fianlly installed the 83-89 (I think) S12+8 Hilux Calipers I had. Put in new Bendix pads also. Currently using 7/8 MC with drums oin the rear. I put off installing the 15/16 MC til I pick up some 280ZX calipers.

Anyhow the braking was much improved. Took it out on a quiet road and did a quick succession of hard brakes from 100km to stop. Now from memeory the stock brakes with what I was advised were "performce" pads would get soft after about 4 to 5 quick stops like this. With the Hilux calipers I get about double that. Also the I don't need to press the pedal as hard when braking normally.

It will be very interesting to see how the 15/16 MC and rear discs will behave once installed.

Sulio

Attached Thumbnails

• 3753_.jpg

#27 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

Excellent Sulio, now you are ready for the sprints! Planning on doing any soon?

#28 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hi Dimitri,

I do need a set of adjustable shocks to firm up the ride as it's running on KYB's and I can still bottom it out on corners re tyre rub. So the next item on my shopping list is Koni Yellows or some thing in that area. Then followed by engine rebuild but it would be fun to have a go after I put some shocks in.

Sulio

#29 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

I know what you mean; that "James Bond" type smokescreen is a bit embarrassing.. Oh bad news on that L28, he put it on ebay and it sold before the auction ended! That explained why I missed it! I saw him at the last NDSOC meeting and he told me. Sorry for that Sulio, next time I'll jump on a deal like that!

#30 mrp69

mrp69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Tagline:Peter

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

must you change your rear drums with this upgrade or will it be fine??

as my pocket is drying up until i sell my wrx.

peter

#31 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

no, they will be fine on their own.

#32 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

/thread resurrect

Just picked up a set of the hilux calipers from a mate in the club. I figure its a good time to replace the rotors as well and have seen all the ebay ads for the slotted ones with the holes. Sulio in your picture yours just has the holes drilled.

Also, I've heard that its best to get softer brake pads, as perform better than the longer lasting hard ones.

Can anyone comment on what type of rotors and pads I should be looking for?

Thanks guys,

Steve

#33 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

I always prefer slotted to drilled rotors. Cracks seem to "prefer" to start from drilled holes rather than slots. Anything bigger and ventilated is always a move in the right direction!

#34 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

I didn't realise I could go 'bigger' since that's determined by the size of the calipers, isn't it?

Also, I don't think I have the ventilated style Hilux calipers would accommodate a wider rotor right?

#35 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:48 AM

If you aren't going to be racing constantly and they are there for the ocassaion you do do some spirited driving, then don't concern yourself with bigger and vented etc, you will do just fine with a good set of pads, rotors, fluid and brake master cylinder.

Scott

#36 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hey Stevo, what I meant to say in that last sentence was any mod you do that's better than stock is a move in the right direction. Like using a 4 piston caliper Vs twin piston.

#37 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm intending to do a rear disc conversion at some point in the near future, and I'll do the MC then. I've read that the hilux calipers and rear drums are fine to use with the 260z MC.

So basically I'm looking for any slotted rotor that fits the front, unless there is a brand/type that anyone can recommend?

#38 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

I use DBA slotted.
P.S  I meant definately go with bigger better callipers and maybe even rotors, but don't go spending lots of money on getting a slighly larger rotor or even getting vented as it gets very expensive, very quickly and it really isn't necassary unless you are doing a lot of laps or a really long road, because you wont get brake fade on the setup you are going for and the type of driving you will be doing.  Spend the money saved on better tyres, they will help you pull up faster and obviously handle better too.

My 3c worth n e ways, enjoy

#39 Moviefan

Moviefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member s be nice.

I have been following this thread with interest as i have just completed the upgrading of my brakes with the ventilated Hilux calipers and Silvia s13 rear capilers and 300zx disks front and rear.  I have found like many before that the brakes travel is to me way to long.

Just rang around a few brake and parts stores and they tell me that both 280zx and patrol 1" MC's are NLA. javascript:void(0);

It looks from the part number that the Patrol MC comes from a 60 Series 77-79 with MVAC. The 4WD wreckers seem to differentiate between the model with the Break Booster and without , not MVAC. Does anyone have any idea which One.

The other option is of course a 280zx MC second hand but there seem to be two different types. Series 1 and Series 2. Can source either type for $50.00.

From the pictures i can find it seems that the series one MC has separate reservoirs. Am i right and does anyone have any suggestion as to which 280zx would be more appropriate for my setup.

For those that have had the 280zx taken out to 1" was that done by the brake shop. Did you ask them to put in a Patrol Kit.

Ant advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

John

#40 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:56 AM

You can still buy a 280zx master from the US on ebay, but it isn't cheap.  JB1419 is the part number for the Patrol 1" however you can get a patrol 15/16th aswell, but like the 1" it is fed from the side not the bottom.  I have a 15/16th, so, from this I have decided I will have my brake lines adjusted to suit being fed from the side and then I will be able to use either a 1" or 15/16th.
I will double check that the Patrol master 1" is still available asap, it was only a month or so ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users