My racing debut.

zzzzed

I entered my 240z in the collingrove  hill climb come and try day today

Oh.    My.      Loard.  I have a new addiction.

Before they started us on the timed runs they took us on a convoy up the hill.

I nearly pooped right there.

The track is extremely narrow. ( 1 lane) and rather steep and tight.

First run I pulled I drive conservatively but I did manage a 46 something.

After a few runs getting to know the track I got it down to a 41.9. The last two runs went a bit slower.

I think this might be because I found the limit of cohesion of my cheap assed Chinese brand tires. That limit was not very high I can tell you.

In my very last run I went all out and even tried to make my own version of the track. I have that on video. I will upload it when my data allowance resets.

Soooooo now I will be working on improving my Zed for better times.

My two main problems now is my lack of traction and my fronts lock up to easy.

Looks like I might have to put some willwoods on the rear. And maybe a proportioning valve.

Then some coil overs and adjustable control arms.

I need to fertilise my money tree.  :-\

Congratulations Mick...

My ten cents worth on the bang for your buck will be to do a driving course first... I can recommend a few blokes if you are interested... there are inherent limitations in all things mechanical, and racing can become a bottomless pit of money if you let it... if I was going to spend $1000, it would be to go and buy yourself a cheap go kart and timing system and go out to Bolivar and drive and drive and drive... take a look at the times and work out that what is "fast" doesn't necessarily feel "fast"... Karts are a great way of teaching you how to maintain momentum in a corner and to drive smoothly... when you are driving on the cars limits and not on your own limits it will be apparent, and then go and spend up... :)

It is awesome to hear the passion in your post, I miss my racing, and it was originally what drew me to Z cars... I will get back to it one day...

Keep it up, I will look forward to coming out and seeing your rocket in the near future. I have a heap of race car books in my stash, including the bible of racing dynamics by the Millikens that I will be happy to lend you if you want to learn about all of the variables to race car setup (another reason why karts are a great place to start as there are less variables.)

Cheers, Jarrod.

Yeh I don't think I'll make it to the next meet. I am in a bit of a hole at the moment. I don't think I'll get out there again till next year. Thank for the tips guys.

My front brakes will not need upgrading any time soon. I already have willwoods up there. And r31 skyline at the rear. Hence the fronts locking up

Well done!!!

It's good fun!

Bit of advice,

Start off taking baby steps, both you and your car.

First, dunno what size rims you have, but a second set of rims, with really good semi slicks, nice soft onesa full set of decent shocks, i'd suggest Koni Yellows, start them on softest setting, and play with settings experimenting with under/over steer.

Just that.

Do Collingrove as often as you can.

Watch others Youtube videos f it over and over.

Your fronts are locking due to cheap ChingLong tyres, worry about super dooper brakes later,

Our stock brakes work very well, believe me, i know!

For front pads, Lucas TRW.

To improve 4 seconds on ne day is excellent.

Forget all the "wallet " doomsayers above, you can do this at reasonable cost!

Well done!!!

It's good fun!

Bit of advice,

Start off taking baby steps, both you and your car.

First, dunno what size rims you have, but a second set of rims, with really good semi slicks, nice soft onesa full set of decent shocks, i'd suggest Koni Yellows, start them on softest setting, and play with settings experimenting with under/over steer.

Just that.

Do Collingrove as often as you can.

Watch others Youtube videos f it over and over.

Your fronts are locking due to cheap ChingLong tyres, worry about super dooper brakes later,

Our stock brakes work very well, believe me, i know!

For front pads, Lucas TRW.

To improve 4 seconds on ne day is excellent.

Forget all the "wallet " doomsayers above, you can do this at reasonable cost!

Sorry mate I should have stated in my first post. I already have willwoods with race pads on The front. But yes I think the first thing I will be looking at is shocks and tyres.

Where's the YouTube? ???

Simon... its South Australia mate... takes a few days for mickey to do it all.

1. Convert 8mm film to mpeg

2. Boot up the old 386 and wait a day for it to load up

3. Connect to youtube using dialup

4. 2 days later its all done

You tube is coming in a few days.

crap they don't even have youtube there yet ;)

Well done on taking the step to competition.

Hill climbing is the toughest,oldest, and some would say most pure discipline. Just you and the clock, cold tyres and brakes and away you go.

As Jason and Simon have said, baby steps is all you need.

If you can get a set of 15x7 or 15x8 wheels cheap, see the IPRA guys when they run at Mallala and pick up a set of second tyres from them. Will be no good for what they do, but perfect for you and should only cost you a $100 or so a set and they will do you for quite a dew hill climbs. Would also be worth getting some octopus grip to get a little bit of life back in the tyres too.

The tyres will fix the brake problem you are having. Cheap road tyres are good for skids only and won't help the braking at all.

Once you have the tyres sorted, the brakes will be fixed, and then if you want to carry on with competition get a rule book and work towards the end goal. If you just want to do hill climbs and sprints then you have a few more freedoms. If you want to end up door to door, or Targa events in that car then all modifications need to be done within the rules you want to run in so you are only doing things once, so you don't end up with an orphan that can't really compete in anything.

Glad you enjoyed it, and you now have the first symptons of the disease called self induced poverty......

Well done on taking the step to competition.

Hill climbing is the toughest,oldest, and some would say most pure discipline. Just you and the clock, cold tyres and brakes and away you go.

As Jason and Simon have said, baby steps is all you need.

If you can get a set of 15x7 or 15x8 wheels cheap, see the IPRA guys when they run at Mallala and pick up a set of second tyres from them. Will be no good for what they do, but perfect for you and should only cost you a $100 or so a set and they will do you for quite a dew hill climbs. Would also be worth getting some octopus grip to get a little bit of life back in the tyres too.

The tyres will fix the brake problem you are having. Cheap road tyres are good for skids only and won't help the braking at all.

Once you have the tyres sorted, the brakes will be fixed, and then if you want to carry on with competition get a rule book and work towards the end goal. If you just want to do hill climbs and sprints then you have a few more freedoms. If you want to end up door to door, or Targa events in that car then all modifications need to be done within the rules you want to run in so you are only doing things once, so you don't end up with an orphan that can't really compete in anything.

Glad you enjoyed it, and you now have the first symptons of the disease called self induced poverty......

It just so happens my blue 260z 2 seater has a set of 15 x8 shakatans with some slightly warn advan semis licks. I ahold have swapped wheels for the day. I will do that next time.

I don't earn enough to be able to afford targa rallies and I don't wand to scratch my car so door to door is out.

I am happy with hill climbs and sprint. If I feel I want to run in a class, then I can enter my other stick zed in the production class. So I do have choices there.

I was am currently building up a 1200 coupe as a dedicated track car. But after driving my zed on the track, I don't think I can down step. So I will Finnish of the 1200 and sell it and use the money to further develop my 240z.

1200 coupe, depending on specs would make a better track car and more scope for cheap mods.

For example, can run in IPRA with A12, A14 or A15 motors, plenty of go fast with those. Want to go faster then step up to CA18, SR20, both non turbo and turbo are legal. Cheaper to get good power out of those than Lseries. So you can start relatively standard and be competitive and step up as budget and experience is ready.

1200 will be lighter than a Zed, and live axle rear end is better for smooth roads like tracks.

Only downside is parts can be harder to get, but he same as a Zed anyway.

That's interesting to know.

There is no doubt that once I have got the 1200 together that I will give it a few runs.

Who knows maybe it might change my mind.

My thinking is that my 240z is already 3/4 of the way to being a to being a race car. With a another $5000 on suspension it would be competitive. So if I sold my 1200 to pay for that then I am there

It would cost me a lot more to get my 1200 to the same level of performance that my 240z already is.

And to me it seems a waist to have all the power and performance that my 240z has if I can't use it. Which I can not on the road.

I already have 2 s30's so I think my wallet would much better of if I let the 12undies go.  :'(