Photo

Storing your Zcar for 1 year or maybe more :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

Ok guys,
As they say time waits for no man and well everyday it gets closer to my departure to Europe. I will be storing the Z and I suspect it won't get cranked over too often. I will probably ask mum to give it a kick in the guts here and there but it probably won't be driven much at all (if at all).

So what are your storage tips, so when I eventually get back getting her up and going again won't be too hard?

I am thinking the following might be in order:
Disconnect Battery.
Spray Cylinders with WD40
Drain Brake and Clutch Fluid
Cover with car cover

Anything else you guys would recommend?

#2 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

Hi Gav,

Interesting question, I thought about this when I started pulling mine apart. I found if I did not start it every week, it became very difficult to start and had to resort to Aerostart down the throat of the carbys. The battery also went flat after a few months.

Don't think I would drain the brake and clutch fluid as you do not want the rubbers to dry out and go brittle. Probably the only thing you need to worry about is the pistons sticking  in the bores, maybe pour some lubricant in the spark plug holes.

Otherwise I would just put clean oil, clutch and brake fluid and coolant in it and get someone to start it regularly until the battery goes flat or we could set up a roster to flog it around the block each weekend.

Enjoy you trip

Warren

#3 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:25 AM

gav, my votes with warren, im up for the roster idea for sure...... id even travel to do it for you ! how many spare tyres you got tho....? ah its cool im sure we can all sort something there !
ok more seriously  ....regular starting, new fluids, take battery out(sulfric acid /vapour), rust proof her up and chuck her up on blocks mate as theres a fair chance your tyres will go flat and die. thats all i can think of at this time, av a great trip over there !
                   chris   

#4 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

I would just take the battery out of the car and cover it over. Don't bother starting it. Could do more harm than good. The car will be fine just sitting there. You could roll it back and forth 1-2 feet to stop a flat spot on the tyres but even that isn't necessay. Also make sure you have anti rust coolant in the radiator.
On your return before you start it, that's when I would do all the work. chank the oil and filter plus plugs. buy a new battery and the tyres should be OK after a long drive. I leave my car for 4 months at a time on accasions and it starts first time every time I want to take it out. As long as it is locked away in a dry area she will be fine.

#5 mayhem

mayhem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Tagline:speed is a life style

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

depends if it leaks oil ... but my mate has a HT gts in the shed that had been there for about 2 years  . its up on blocks just to keep the tryes off the ground and the battery is out... but most of all!  the engine has nearly 15 liters of oil in it, just the cheap stuff full in the bores right up to the rockers  i thought it was a smart idea and every few months he rotates the crank just a few degrees one way then back ....  :-\ but that thing is for his son so he ain't bringing it out into the daylight any time soon..
a year isn't that long i wouldn't think you would have a problem ... its just what you do when you get back eg: change fuel ..full service and some rost off or wd 40 down the bore and rotate by hand then give a few cranks with plugs out should be fine

#6 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

Store it at wakefield ......doing 1:12's......... ;D jk!!

#7 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

Yeh store it at Wakefield and Will and I will give it plenty of engine running time :D :D jk

#8 HELLFIRE!

HELLFIRE!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

what about the fuel pump? Not sure what type you are running but if it's mechanical the rubbers could dry out and crack.

#9 stinkweed

stinkweed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hi there
Our 260z was stored for 12 years before we bought it a few months ago.

As expected we spent a few $'s on new tyres and some work on the brakes, fuel and cooling systems and new exhaust but the engine is as sweet as a nut and goes like a train (electric train that is).  Was very apprehensive at buying it at first for obvious reasons but am very pleased we did.   

#10 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

put some synthetic 2 stroke oil in tank and drive a while gets in the whole system synthetic cause it wont blow smoke , oil will stop any rubber components drying out and stops that white powder when fuel drys up and lubes valves and guides etc, and stick a rag in exhaust an in air cleaner stop moisture getting in , no point starting it every now and then unless your going to drive it just leave it sit , or turn the engine over with the coil lead out is better than starting for short periods, put block under suspension or the tyres will end up square

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users