#21 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Anyone who thinks that you need to do official racing events to learn 'racecraft' needs to have a look at the Zeds sprinting at Morgan Park, which incidentially is on again this weekend. Some of the best older car dicing I have ever seen has been at MP between Zeds, wheel to wheel stuff at speeds which many older so called race cars could never match, particularly Histronics, errr, Historics  :o

#22 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Anyone who thinks that you need to do official racing events to learn 'racecraft' needs to have a look at the Zeds sprinting at Morgan Park, which incidentially is on again this weekend. Some of the best older car dicing I have ever seen has been at MP between Zeds, wheel to wheel stuff at speeds which many older so called race cars could never match, particularly Histronics, errr, Historics  :o

Sweet baby jebus, what a load of crap.
Richo, until you actually man up and put your arze into a circuit race, be it a Lakeside rolling start with the Outlaw class, or a Prodsports class event at MP, you have no qualification to say you are "racing" or "dicing"! Niether are the lapdash mob at MP.
Wheel to wheel! Delusions of granduer!
What occurs at a lapdash, ie pretty much the most basic form of pitting man and his machine, against a time clock, is about the limit of the majority, which in itself is a jolly good thing to do,
But,
Until you or the rest of the Z club "i'm a racer" crew in the lapdash scene, move to the next level above "Basic" and conduct yourself in events where all cars start at same time, and complete a set number of laps, ie a race, and you elevate from being a backmarker, to at least top 25% of the finishing grid, and then you may develop a degree of racecraft.
There are plenty Historic sports class cars that will nail the mojority of the MP zed cars, they know it, and get all girly skirty and chuck hissy fits, when real racecars do the "wheel to wheel" thing, as you say.

About time you stopped the armchair driving, and the GunnaWinYa stuff, and simply "Just Do It"

Oh and the pithy excuses ie my panels are rare, i dont have a license etc, are a bit of a joke, go and have a real play at your favourite fast track, Lakeside, in the Outlaws class, ie the turbo charged sports and saloon lads, yours fits in there, but dont be a mobile chicane backmarker!

#23 Scottz

Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

Is it a bit like the "The world according to Garp"?, where Robin Williams (Garp) is looking at buying a house and while looking a plane crashes into it and he says to the agent - "I'll buy it".
The Realtor thinks and says "what the freak for, it's just had a plane crash into it, it's wrecked", and Garp says - "yes, but what are the chances of it happening again. It is now a disaster proof house".
Garp's view was that a plane crashing into the house is a 100 million to 1 chance, so a repeat of the same disaster would be infinity to 1, or thereabouts.

Not sure you can use the same maths logic for a race car, but hey! whatever smokes your wheels......

Price for this disaster tested pre-loved Z ? ?

Keep smiling - always better days ahead.
Scott.

#24 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Sweet baby jebus, what a load of crap.
Richo, until you actually man up and put your arze into a circuit race, be it a Lakeside rolling start with the Outlaw class, or a Prodsports class event at MP, you have no qualification to say you are "racing" or "dicing"! Niether are the lapdash mob at MP.
Wheel to wheel! Delusions of granduer!
What occurs at a lapdash, ie pretty much the most basic form of pitting man and his machine, against a time clock, is about the limit of the majority, which in itself is a jolly good thing to do,
But,
Until you or the rest of the Z club "i'm a racer" crew in the lapdash scene, move to the next level above "Basic" and conduct yourself in events where all cars start at same time, and complete a set number of laps, ie a race, and you elevate from being a backmarker, to at least top 25% of the finishing grid, and then you may develop a degree of racecraft.
There are plenty Historic sports class cars that will nail the mojority of the MP zed cars, they know it, and get all girly skirty and chuck hissy fits, when real racecars do the "wheel to wheel" thing, as you say.

About time you stopped the armchair driving, and the GunnaWinYa stuff, and simply "Just Do It"

Oh and the pithy excuses ie my panels are rare, i dont have a license etc, are a bit of a joke, go and have a real play at your favourite fast track, Lakeside, in the Outlaws class, ie the turbo charged sports and saloon lads, yours fits in there, but dont be a mobile chicane backmarker!

Yeah , no Richard, sorry but as good as lap dashes and sprints are, they aren't racing and never will be.

The difference between sprints and racing is chalk and cheese, sprints all about times, racing all about position. Racecraft isn't learnt in sprints, driving close together is what is learnt in sprints. Racecraft is about learning, very quickly, where best to put your car on the track to pass or stop being passed, where to stick your nose down the inside, or where to hang back and wait for the next corner where you are better positioned to pass, how to psyche out your opponent on the track, or to trick them into the slow line, or defend your position within the rules.

Guaranteed if you put a "racer" in a sprint event and they "race" everyone gets all butt hurt about the racer taking their line, or dive bombing them, which would be expected in racing.

How many times have come on here and other forums whinging about traffic ruining your fast lap???? If you can't cope with that, then you certainly won't cope with racing.

Sorry Richard, until you show us what you can do in a proper race, and there are plenty of opportunities to do this at QR, either Prodsports, or outlaws for your barge, then you are just another gunna internet hero who thinks about throwing it all away with the tiniest of wobbles through a corner.

#25 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

MP sprints have nothing to do with me as a driver because I don't run there but, unlike the armchair critics, I do base my comments on actual observation of what goes on there with the Zeds and their times. Quite a few of the Q Targa blokes do the MP sprints to keep their hand in, want to call them out too? It might be about time that you 'racers' put your cars where your talk  is, October supersprint championships open to anyone with a CAMS licence. See you there?

#26 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Love to Richard, but I will be racing at QR in the Cue One Hour Enduro for Prod Sports. Will we be seeing you out there as you won't be running at Morgan Park???

And I'm not saying that sprints are not good for driving, any seat time at the track is good seat time, that's why I do the MX5 club track days.

What I have been talking about is racing and racecraft, and with that racecraft the ability to choose when to pass or not pass, how to defend a position on the track where the priority is the position on track which may require the sacrifice of a bit of time. An example of this was explained nicely by Mark Larkham on the V8 telecast today talking about passing at turn 3 rather than through turns 1 and 2 at Winton.

#27 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

It might be about time that you 'racers' put your cars where your talk  is, October supersprint championships open to anyone with a CAMS licence. See you there?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users