51 replies to this topic

#21 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Tagline:Canuckian

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I don't see why people are thinking this is such a hard thing to accomplish.

I've gone 218 Kph, in a (2800 lbs) FWD car not designed to go 120 Kph, with a (200000+ km) 140 HP V6, manual trans, that had less than optimal aero. Quadruple the power, add a bit of aero improvements, and the proper safety equipment, including tires, and a sports car can easy achieve 300 Kph.

I've been close to the 200 Kph in my S30, with about double the HP (around 300) and it getting there with lots of pull left, just already well above the speed I should be by that point so I don't push it any farther.

The first thing I'd be looking at hear is not the suspension or driveline to be capable of achieving the speed, but the safety equipment, namely roll cage that will sustain a crash at that speed. Worry about the driveline second.

#22 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I am not saying it's not possible to acheive these speeds. My car might even get up there if I had enough road.
I am saying to many talk pie in the sky stuff and tell everyone what they plan to do and we never hear from them again.
I say do the hard work, spend the big cash, get your engine in and running then re visit this thread in a year or two that's all.  ;)

#23 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image

I see 300kph a held and maintained speed for a long distance not a blatt on a short straight once

#24 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

mine was clocked at 270km/h yesterday gps speed, mine has 300-350rwhp

Why not 300 its easy

#25 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

I am not saying it's not possible to acheive these speeds. My car might even get up there if I had enough road.
I am saying to many talk pie in the sky stuff and tell everyone what they plan to do and we never hear from them again.
I say do the hard work, spend the big cash, get your engine in and running then re visit this thread in a year or two that's all.  ;)

Good quote Craig

#26 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

I see 300kph a held and maintained speed for a long distance not a blatt on a short straight once

Posted Image

#27 MyEnquiringMind

MyEnquiringMind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Tagline:Doin it in a Datsun...

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

I was a bit bored tonight, (OK really bored...) so I did some ROUGH calculations which suggest that it will take 287kW at the wheels to overcome the drag in air at 300km/h... i.e. to reach terminal velocity... will post working if you are interested...

Cheers, J

#28 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

to be honest too scared, also its a little floaty at that speed going faster with out a new front spoiler and lower and better suspension would be just madness, it was happy to keep going and had plenty of pull left in her.

#29 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Lol i think that has more to do with driver than hp...

3 words that come to mind.... High speed stability look at what happens at Le Mans when the car looses it, it becomes airborne, aero has to be number one.

#30 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

If you want to hit those speeds then you will need to wack a G-Nose on really. Firm suspension, good quality tyres and a rear spoiler that will keep the rear down but not act as a parrachute. As for breakage if you put in a powerful engine then your drive line needs to be beefed up to the point you simply know nothing will break.

#31 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

If you want to hit those speeds then you will need to wack a G-Nose on really.

But that is for a S30 - right at the start he stated 280zx which is 40% better in aero than our brick based S30. The S30 is not flash out of the box but a S130 is much much better.

This thread has gone a bit off to the left field...Here is the original post again. I have highlighted the what I see is the real questions in this first post.

So I've decided to pull out the rb25 neo out of the 280zx and go for a rb34 setup.. I know this gonna be big power and I'm aiming to hit 300km/hr (not gonna say where I'm gonna try this :) ) the series 1 rear drivetrain doesn't look too strong to hold that much speed and loooking to do a r32 gtr rear cradle conversion if need be. Is there a shop that can make new drive shafts that strong enough for this kind of abuse? Ive search high and low but there's just not much info or enough people doing this. If anyone has done a rear cradle conversion in aus, for 280, what would be the best place to go?

Also this thread is posted in the "Brakes/Drivetrain Components" section so the real questions are related to a rear end conversion to provide a better solution than the stock Series I 280zx setup - assume brakes, strength and handling.

So does anyone know of info on these conversions in the S130 chassis or shops that might help this man out?

#32 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

What rear end is Iain using? ???
He'd have the highest powered 280ZX here.
As someone else pointed out, an R200 can handle quite a bit of powah!

#33 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

well a r180lsd holds up to the torque from my engine, what you will need is a stronger gbox, much better clutch, better engine mounts, trans mounts etc I have broken all these at least once, clutch and gbox I have shattered twice. better areo will help with downforce and new suspension. all in all everything new or upgraded is needed

#34 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

The diff is not the only thing in the rear end. We know the R200 are strong and the ones with the later/large input spline aka GTR R200 can take a lot of torque and powah. R180 are strong too most give them a miss as finding CLSD can be hard.

A 240z that used to race here in NZ (divorce = sold and split up by the new owner) with an Alloy 383 V8 (Donovan??) kept breaking R200's and 300zx CV setups as has the TargaZ (LS1 supercharged power 240z) each breaking stub axles, CV axles and plug-in into the diff, but never the diff it self. I think the TargaZ is sorted now with custom stub axles, axles/cv and custom diff input plug-ins. The other 240z installed a Speedway Engineering IRS diff and the largest U-J I have ever seen on IRS - no CV's.

So I guess that is what he is looking for - what is the setup that is needed to not break.

A few things he has not made clear is as follows.

1. IRS is a must?
2. Does the car need to corner?
3. Does he need squat control?
4. Will the car be road legal - ie engineering for ADR etc

There have a few drag 240z and 280zx here in NZ with big big HP/torque and they all have solid/live rear ends aka Ford 9" units.

All of the above are given I would have thought, gearbox (we know the 71B can be weak, and the 71C too once the torque goes past X, X is well published on the interweb), and engine mounts - make that drivetrain mounts - even without big HP and Torque these fail.

#35 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Finding CLSD R180s isn't that hard you just have to know what cars to get them from.
I'm just putting one in my car and i agree that 80% of people here wouldn't be able to brake one in good condition.

#36 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

I don't think strength is so important; he's not going to accelerate like in a drag race... rev to 5K then dump a clutch. It will be a steady go (depending on how long the runway is) so I t think balancing would be a greater issue. Make sure everything is well balanced like from flywheel, clutch, prop shaft and wheels! Then clean up the aero then take out life insurance.

#37 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

What rear end is Iain using? ???
He'd have the highest powered 280ZX here.
As someone else pointed out, an R200 can handle quite a bit of powah!

Mine is a Kazz competition LSD in the original housing rated to 1000hp.
My chassis has also been completely redone with heavier guage steel, and full length of car, with additional bracing.

#38 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

I have not once dropped my clutch and yet I have shattered 2 gearbox's, and blown 2 clutches to pieces, I now have truck gears in my gbox and a stage 4 brass button clutch rated to 600kw and 600 ft/lb

#39 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I have not once dropped my clutch and yet I have shattered 2 gearbox's, and blown 2 clutches to pieces, I now have truck gears in my gbox and a stage 4 brass button clutch rated to 600kw and 600 ft/lb

wow that seems like an awfull lot of carnage.... is everything balanced properly?

#40 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

wow that seems like an awfull lot of carnage.... is everything balanced properly?

I think its the driver that's unbalanced  ::)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users