whats gonna break at 300km/hr

So I've decided to pull out the rb25 neo out of the 280zx and go for a rb34 setup.. I know this gonna be big power and I'm aiming to hit 300km/hr (not gonna say where I'm gonna try this :) ) the series 1 rear drivetrain doesn't look too strong to hold that much speed and loooking to do a r32 gtr rear cradle conversion if need be. Is there a shop that can make new drive shafts that strong enough for this kind of abuse? Ive search high and low but there's just not much info or enough people doing this. If anyone has done a rear cradle conversion in aus, for 280, what would be the best place to go?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your wife is gonna break your legs when she founds out how much this will cost, you will break your mortgage repayments , break your credit card limit, break your childrens trust in you when they have no school books and uniforms, If all of that is in order I guess then the only thing you could break is a world land speed record at Utah on the salt flats in a 280ZX

just build a good tail shaft and run a 3.7 diff and have 550hp atw and rev it to 7500 in 5Th  easy

been there done that  , toms Rb28 did 280 + km at PI at the Nat's  before he crashed and ended the fun , and that was with a 4.1 diff , its not that hard ,

I think your biggest problem will be aero....also, please don't make the news if and when you do this..

he did say 280zx aka Nissan's first car designed with the aid of a wind tunnel. They improved the aero by 40% over the first gen zed aka S30. The CD of a S130 is 0.39 I think as good as lambo.

Who builds a car with the sole aim of hitting a certain speed? Unless your heading to Bonnyville or the salt flats I dont get it.

Also, if finding a supplier for a custom tailshaft is proving difficult, the rest is only going to be harder and more expensive...

Just my two cents before you go broke and or die attempting this 300kmph mark

Fit a Holden diff - several have already done so on S30s so it shouldn't be too hard on yours. There are heaps of cheap Holden LSDs around, I picked up an LSD 3.08 for $150 and no trouble getting drive shafts made up or CVs. Plenty of shaft suppliers - look up Bosnjak Engineering for starters.

Before you start on pipedeam number 68, get yourself down to Lake Gairdiner in SA at the next Auusie Speed Week.

Take note of what they do, and how they do it.

Or head over to Bonneville USA, same thing, but just awesome.

It is doable, but aero is crucial, as well as a long bit of straight road.

Conrod straight, and Northern Territory are no out.

just build a good tail shaft and run a 3.7 diff and have 550hp atw and rev it to 7500 in 5Th  easy

been there done that  , toms Rb28 did 280 + km at PI at the Nat's  before he crashed and ended the fun , and that was with a 4.1 diff , its not that hard ,

You cant be farkin serious are you? or are you? or am im totally stupid this comment is a joke right Peter? Or I miss the humurose side of this 280kmh , so when he crashed did he land on a ship in bass strait, would have saved him towing the car back to melbourne, just dock at the port of melbourne and drive off , I think you may be trying to convince readers that this is a normality, So lets all just go out a run 300 kph in our zeds EASY is this what you are saying? sure fark yeah why not hey Easy , WHERES THE MONEY ?

WHERE IS THE MONEY , GIVE ME THE MONEY is what you should be saying, sometimes people chew of more than they can swalloW???? WHAT track in australia has a long enough straight to safely allow a 280zx to maintain 300kay , Iaint gonna hold my breath thats for sure

You cant be farkin serious are you? or are you? or am im totally stupid this comment is a joke right Peter? Or I miss the humurose side of this 280kmh , so when he crashed did he land on a ship in bass strait, would have saved him towing the car back to melbourne, just dock at the port of melbourne and drive off , I think you may be trying to convince readers that this is a normality, So lets all just go out a run 300 kph in our zeds EASY is this what you are saying? sure fark yeah why not hey Easy , WHERES THE MONEY ?

WHERE IS THE MONEY , GIVE ME THE MONEY is what you should be saying, sometimes people chew of more than they can swalloW???? WHAT track in australia has a long enough straight to safely allow a 280zx to maintain 300kay , Iaint gonna hold my breath thats for sure

whats the funny part , I have cracked 300 in two cars at PI , both were not Datsuns ,  toms car crashed at around 190k but it would have done 300 easy if it was at full power , it had 470kw engine on low boost , 300 is easy , not cheep but easy . Is it the right thing to go looking for that power and speed , lol that's not my call , each to there own  if your up to it , most are not .

What?  ???

You mean you can't just jump in a car you're not familiar with driving, on a track you've never driven, with extreme power and be an expert straight away?  ::)

That's why Vin Diesel only lives his life a 1/4 mile at a time.

Ha Ha

Interesting thread.

Let's first see the engine in the car that's going to be capable of pushing you this fast. Then start talking speeds.

Did I say in the car and on the road reliable and working.  ;) Then we can restart this thread in a year or two if at all.

I don't see why people are thinking this is such a hard thing to accomplish.

I've gone 218 Kph, in a (2800 lbs) FWD car not designed to go 120 Kph, with a (200000+ km) 140 HP V6, manual trans, that had less than optimal aero. Quadruple the power, add a bit of aero improvements, and the proper safety equipment, including tires, and a sports car can easy achieve 300 Kph.

I've been close to the 200 Kph in my S30, with about double the HP (around 300) and it getting there with lots of pull left, just already well above the speed I should be by that point so I don't push it any farther.

The first thing I'd be looking at hear is not the suspension or driveline to be capable of achieving the speed, but the safety equipment, namely roll cage that will sustain a crash at that speed. Worry about the driveline second.

I am not saying it's not possible to acheive these speeds. My car might even get up there if I had enough road.

I am saying to many talk pie in the sky stuff and tell everyone what they plan to do and we never hear from them again.

I say do the hard work, spend the big cash, get your engine in and running then re visit this thread in a year or two that's all.  ;)

I am not saying it's not possible to acheive these speeds. My car might even get up there if I had enough road.

I am saying to many talk pie in the sky stuff and tell everyone what they plan to do and we never hear from them again.

I say do the hard work, spend the big cash, get your engine in and running then re visit this thread in a year or two that's all.  ;)

Good quote Craig