Last Night I Watched...

George

• Moderators

Last night I watched the Gruen Transfer and saw this Victorian Metro public safety ad.

Thought it was rather funny. Had to share it. Of course I assume many Victorians may have already seen it.

There is also an iPad app, our 8 year old daughter and her friends love it.

This is the End (2013) - meh. Was looking forward to it but it was a disappointment.

Terms and Conditions May Apply (2013) - Wow. This was some scary stuff. If you want to feel paranoid and concerned about your activities online then watch this. It will make you want to delete your Facebook account. Hell, I feel like cutting my telephone wire, buying canned food and locking the front door for a few years in the hope privacy laws change. It's very US centric but still eye opening and entertaining. A documentary every internet user ought to watch.

• Administrators

Terms and Conditions May Apply (2013) - Wow. This was some scary stuff. If you want to feel paranoid and concerned about your activities online then watch this. It will make you want to delete your Facebook account. Hell, I feel like cutting my telephone wire, buying canned food and locking the front door for a few years in the hope privacy laws change. It's very US centric but still eye opening and entertaining. A documentary every internet user ought to watch.

You will like this I suspect.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/09/09/3842009.htm

• Administrators

Agree - even though I work for Google, I think it's something that needs to be discussed and sorted before it gets out of hand. Whilst all this data can be used for good, it doens't take much for it to be used in the wrong way also.

Van Wilder: Party Liaison (2002) - I only watched this (second time) to kill some time and it did just that. Not sure I would recommend it to anyone that's female and anyone that is over the age of 21. Still, it's not all that bad for us boys at heart. 5/10

King Arthur (2004) - Oh boy. Stay away. Keira Knightley at her worst (and that's saying something). 4/10

'RUSH'

The acting was great, the direction was great, the cinematography was great, never a flat spot as it kept going at a good pace. Only problem for me was I knew the story details too well but the family love it.

For those thinking of taking young'uns there is a fairly constant stream of four letter words and a few nipples but tame by MA ratings.

Wet myself at the scene with Marlene's car.

Last time I went to the pictures was to see Crocodile Dundee so make of this review what you will.

The wife and I just saw this, today, cheap Tuesday at a local cinema.

Very very excellent, great historical re-enactment, great ending.

Fantadtic on big screen!

Senna The Movie was a touch sad, but also very good.

This one tops that!

Get along to your local cinema, if your wife/girlfriend is remotely car enthusiastic, she will enjoy it very much!

I was waiting on Georges movie review, but you beat him to it... ;)

Cant wait to see it .

Haha. Well, I've heard good things about Rush from non-car viewers so I'm sure all of us will lap it up. So to speak.

Might be a while before I get to see Rush actually. Busy weekend coming up and I'm spending my pennies to see Gravity in 3D this Thursday. Sounds like one not to miss on the big screen. Metascore for Gravity is 96!

The Internship (2013) - What started as a family friendly comedy BOOOOBS!!! Yeah, it was pretty much like that. Bang smack in the middle of this clean comedy you're treated to a boob fest in an upmarket strip club. I'm sure there was a movie attached to either end of the boobs but it wasn't as memorable as said boobs. Boobs. 5/10

Pacific Rim (2013) - If I was 16 I would have really loved this movie. If I'm being honest though... I really did enjoy it for what it was. My expectations were low going in and with popcorn in both hands I was cheering for the Americans to save humanity once again. Thankfully they did! No surprises here plot wise. 6/10

Moneyball (2011) - I've had this DVD laying around for a year now. I just didn't expect it to be any good and the subject matter, baseball, is not something I care about. I still don't care about baseball but I'm glad I watched it. It's actually hard to pinpoint why I enjoyed it so much which is a telltale of an all round well produced film. It could have been about knitting or croquet for all the difference the subject mattered. Even my fiancé didn't touch her phone to check Facebook through-ought the film and that's saying something. Still, I find it hard to recommend it to anyone because it is so easy to focus on the subject and miss the overall package. For me it was an easy 8/10.

+1 for Rush. was better than i though it would be and was not disappointed. i also love the use of actual footage in parts of the movie i recommend to see it whilst its till in cinemas

I got free tickets through Shannons to see an advanced screening of Rush, good movie! Well acted and the actual driving/racing scenes are very well shot... the best I have seen I reckon.

Going to see Gravity tonight :) Children of men is high on my list of favourite movies of all time. I have great respect for the director, looks like he is going even further with his long & intense 1 take shots!

• 2 weeks later...

Children of Men (2006) - with the recent release of Gravity and its long takes I was interested in watching Children of Men again (first seen in 2007). The connection is Alfonso Cuarón who has written and directed both. If anything, the long takes in CoM are more elaborate, ambitious and extremely well acted. Once conscious of them I found myself impressed enough to rewind a number of times. The film is worth watching and deserves its high praise regardless of the impressive long takes. 8/10

I just watched House of the flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Have you seen then if so what did you think :)

Love them both! I remember Animal Logic coming to my 3d animation class at uni and showing us scenes from the House of Flying Daggers before it came out, I was so excited to see it :) Crouching Tiger is a near perfect movie, I get an urge to watch it every couple of months haha. It pretty much changed the 'Hollywood' idea that an audience can only be entertained by any one thing for a minute before they got bored.

If you like some of the eastern stuff check out the recent '13 Assassins', quite brutal but very well done. Jet Li's 'Hero' is also a really good movie. If you like the fights in crouching tiger and don't care for story at all check out "The Raid" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI-V0rrlZBo. It's practically one big fight for 90 minutes. Very well choreographed, especially a 2 on 1 fight towards the end which is actually done with the choreographer but yeah pretty much no story ;)