Blue Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hi Gareth and Dat2kman,

One more question, what is the advantage of the RB20 internals in the 260z box compared to the FJ20t which according to the forum bolts straight on?

#62 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hi Gareth and Dat2kman,

One more question, what is the advantage of the RB20 internals in the 260z box compared to the FJ20t which according to the forum bolts straight on?

Bigger wider better internals, more positive shifter mechanism.
Close ratio gearsets available for all types.

#63 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

Jason in Australia what are your SC rules like for gearboxes? IE are you allowed to run the 71C boxes or must the 71B cases be retained?

#64 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Jason in Australia what are your SC rules like for gearboxes? IE are you allowed to run the 71C boxes or must the 71B cases be retained?

Rule says gearbox  internals are free.
Also, with engine, metal may be removed, stroke remains same, bore incresed by 60 thou.
Cars running injection must retain the original intake manifold and throttle body, metal may be removed from inside manifold and throttle body.
Cars running carburettor(s), the intake manifold is free

Yes, somewhat restricting, but, it is supposed to make it a "level" playing field. Do not start me, and the other Z guys on the disparity re Porsche & DeTomaso brakes!

#65 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

So basically the same as ours rules, but we can use fia brakes or other brakes sold ad used on the cars in period + we can use triples.

#66 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Just opening this up again.

So I purchased 2 x FJ20T boxes and both had only 18mm gears not the 20mm other have stated. I have another FJ20 box here that I will pull soon to see if the last one of the 3 I have purchased as fj20t boxes actually are turbo boxes.

So questions for you ozzies. What cars do these 20mm fj20t gearboxes come from? The boxes I have sourced are from JDM R30 skylines. So maybe I need to find later fj20t powered cars to find one of these 20mm gearset boxes.

For now I have a few 71b boxes to break :)

#67 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Mike, i've had Fj boxes from a S12 Gazelle, a dr30 skyline, and a third, nfi what, all were 3,32 first gear, ( normal comon ratios) the S12 Gazelle had 20 mm wide gears, but a mate who has three of the S12's only one has 20 mm, the other two are normal, except for the bellhousings.
Go figure!
I was peeved when two of the three were just plain old regular boxes, that i paid a bit more than normal for.
All had the 16 mm diameter 1st/2nd selector rod, regular 71B's have a 14mm diam selector top rod.

The 71 C gearsets are 20mm the 71B's are 18mm
There was mention on this site about wider fifth gear sprockets in a FJ-T box, 18 mm vs 16mm if i recall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users