12 replies to this topic

#1 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Tagline:Carannuation

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Well I am very proud to say that I am now an owner of a ’75 260Z 2+2. The whole buying process was a lot of fun. The PO and his dad were both really nice, they had a heap of other cars they were working on and decided to make some room and sell this one. They had another 2+2 project + multiple other cars.

He also had a lot of parts so I picked up almost everything I need to do the manual conversion except for the hydraulic line from master to slave. He threw in the spare L26 engine that was attached to the gearbox. Also got some spare windows + full winding mechanism (current windows have some scratches) and some spare rear quarter Z badges.

Engine seems to be running very nice, no major issues evident and the car as a whole has been a lot of fun to drive so far. I took her for a run up to the Blue Mountains today as she went well :) 

Some details about the car:

1975 260Z 2+2
Auto
Colour: Light Blue
Chassis: GRS30005818
Engine: L26, Head:E88, Dual SUs. New extractors, exhaust, radiator + various other bits.
Rego: Expires March 2014.
Interior: Poor condition with original radio. Multiple large cracks in the dash. Speedo works, but tach and fuel gauge don’t.
Body: Small dent front bumper, some small various rust spots, no doubt will uncover a lot more when body work begins.

Plans for the car:

Project: Carannuation

Superannuation: you invest money in various securities with hopes of future positive returns.
Carannuation: you invest money in your classic car with no hope of future positive returns however you walk around with a smile on your face.

This will be a street build.

Short to medium term plans (in order of priority):

Drive the car – get to know it and enjoy it
Manual conversion
Disc brakes ugrades
Suspension upgrades
New wheels

Long term:

L28 + triples
Full strip back to bare metal, all rust repaired and new paint. Thinking silver + black interior with a red trim. Will probably change my mind 100 times.
Full interior refresh

I met with fellow forum member PeterAllen this week at St. George TAFE and checked out their Vehicle Restoration course and facilities. Looked very impressive. Hopefully I might be able to enrol next course starting July.

Attached Thumbnails

• 36241_6fa1136c2f4ff5f50ae621de0781ddffd04c9cf9.jpg
  • 36239_bd717efbcef9f1f4525bc55e2148def77f737bf4.jpg
  • 36237_05fe05e3730cd7be62ce3bdb4e2443a0952d7c87.jpg
  • 36235_bc1049cd9c76fdbc43906ec283c8eeb92175f8c7.jpg

#2 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

More pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 36247_51ce8e4138cdfb53533d002d547142e0257bd42a.jpg
  • 36243_588183120c1b5c6dd8b6f1e78da66577e2db865f.jpg
  • 36245_ca652ea9a171f4ed036e21c6c36b1b6ce7243619.jpg

#3 haul

haul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Congratulation and welcome to the Z community.
Cheers Tony

#4 KatoKid

KatoKid

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Tagline:Split loyalties between the M and the Z

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Congratulations Jason.

Looks like a good starting point....needs to lose the black body moulds though!

Stick close to Peter and suck everything you can from him, hes got a good head on his shoulders.

David

#5 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Cheers

Yeah, those moldings are on the to go list :)

#6 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well done!

Your first point is the most important; driving it before pulling it off the road. That I think motivates you more to get it the way you want rather than selling an unfinished project!

#7 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Auto to manual transmission conversion is complete :D

Stewart Wilkins did the work for me. We ended up putting in a SR20 gearbox + diff keeping in mind a future engine upgrade will happen.

He also replaced some water hoses as they were in poor nick and one split during a test drive. He said he simplified the hosing and also cleaned the K&N filters on the SU carbs.

I’ve put in hotter sparkplugs and changed the oil + filter and with the above the engine is now idling very smoothly compared to when I got her :).

After Stewart’s test drive he said he was surprised how well she revved out and no tune is urgently required; best to drive her for a while to see what I think.

That first drive home as a manual was just fantastic fun. She really did sound nice revving out and the L26 + twin SU carbs will be enough fun to keep me entertained for a while.

Next step will be lowered King springs + Koni Red's and some new bushes. I'm finding the handling quite sloppy.

#8 CroS13

CroS13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Tagline:throbbing member

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hey great to hear about the manual conversion, no body wants to drive a slush box!

I'm pretty sure i saw your car down there at Stewart Wilkins maybe last week? when i picked up my headers from him.

We will have to go for a cruise up the mountains, or up Old Pacific highway to Gosford one weekend, the 2 blue buses! I have to get mine back together first!

Rudolf.

#9 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hey great to hear about the manual conversion, no body wants to drive a slush box!

I'm pretty sure i saw your car down there at Stewart Wilkins maybe last week? when i picked up my headers from him.

We will have to go for a cruise up the mountains, or up Old Pacific highway to Gosford one weekend, the 2 blue buses! I have to get mine back together first!

Rudolf.

Yep, that would have been mine. Was there for a few weeks  ::)
Def keen for a cruise, haha 2 blue buses!

Drove her around Sat and she went well. Tried to start her this morning and she was completely dead. No sound at all when I turn the iginition :( so I'll have to grab a new battery

#10 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sans body moldings:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Came off really easy and cleanly, except for one spot  :-[  D'Oh!

Posted Image

#11 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Better finding that out now than later... looking good anyway!

#12 jasonmac

jasonmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

Well she has been off the road since 2013 and I've pulled together some money so time to start stripping her down and doing some work.

Some small stuff I've done:
 - Hilux 4-spot calipers purchased and reconditioned and powder coated at Automotive Brake Reconditioning (Sydney). Also have the DBA rotors.
 - New seat covers from Kalid's purchased back in 2013 - black with white stitching. I'm fitting these now.

I had a lot of fun driving it when it was on the road. This is the current set up:
 - Matching # L26 engine
 - round top SU carbs
 - points distributor
 - E88 head

Giving the matching engine #, budget and modest street requirements, the current plan is to keep the L26 and:

- strip and hot tank block
 - sonic test and see what bore is possible. Weight up performance benefits vs cost.
 - flat top pistons
 - cam (no idea what yet, Sydney traffic friendly)
 - electronic distributor & new coil (thinking Scorcher but not sure if this is overkill for me)
 - recondition existing round top SU carbs
 - dyno tune
 - not sure what I should do with the E88 head if anything

Going to work with James from MIA.

Dash is out but Dashboard Doctor is quoting $650 :-\ . Called another trimming place in Sydney and they said they send to the Dashboard Doctor. Might just have to take the hit and send to DD.

#13 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

Good to see you back working on the blue bus. They are def fun to drive mate.

• jasonmac likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users